FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1892904-rumor-more-polaris-enhancements-coming-may-1-2018-a.html)

54321 Feb 8, 2018 7:46 am

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Just heard from a friend that effective May 1 Polaris service will no longer include Bloody Mary/Mimosa Carts and Wine Carts. There are other "enhancements" coming as well (to be announced later). With all of the "enhancements" since the Polaris launch United is basically back to the old United Business service with a nicer duvet. UA spent a lot of money on overpromising and underdelivering Polaris. At this point I think Polaris should be rebranded as "White Dwarf".

JVPhoto Feb 8, 2018 7:48 am

The Bloody Mary/Mimosa cart was dumb in the first place. Do you mean wine flights and not “carts”? I can’t imagine them not bringing the wine/water/beverages cart out and instead running back and forth to the galley.

DawgmanOH Feb 8, 2018 7:57 am

I don't understand why they didn't just keep the drink cart that was used pre-Polaris. It was much simpler and more efficient. At least IMHO.

demkr Feb 8, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by 54321 (Post 29393845)
Just heard from a friend that effective May 1 Polaris service will no longer include Bloody Mary/Mimosa Carts and Wine Carts. There are other "enhancements" coming as well (to be announced later). With all of the "enhancements" since the Polaris launch United is basically back to the old United Business service with a nicer duvet. UA spent a lot of money on overpromising and underdelivering Polaris. At this point I think Polaris should be rebranded as "White Dwarf".

at least with the old BusinessFirst we had salads that were properly portioned with real dressing options...

goodeats21 Feb 8, 2018 8:02 am

Not surprising...typical United.

Has anyone confirmed that the "Hot Bites" service is gone? It was removed from the menu, but I haven't been on United in awhile to confirm if it is just off the menu, or not loaded on board at all.

demkr Feb 8, 2018 8:03 am

Why can't this airline ever stick with anything? The constant cutbacks and bait and switch are becoming too much.

uber1K_Flyer Feb 8, 2018 8:16 am

Looking at several trips coming up and despite all these "enhancements" the prices are going up (way up).

RobOnLI Feb 8, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 29393931)
Not surprising...typical United.

Has anyone confirmed that the "Hot Bites" service is gone? It was removed from the menu, but I haven't been on United in awhile to confirm if it is just off the menu, or not loaded on board at all.

I flew 1.5 weeks ago and the "Hot Bites" was offered and on the menu. But the grilled cheese was changed to something really disgusting (like a 3 or 4 cheese grilled cheese with a whole lot of cheese that I don't like). The tomato soup was still very good.

-RM

goodeats21 Feb 8, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 29394021)
I flew 1.5 weeks ago and the "Hot Bites" was offered and on the menu. But the grilled cheese was changed to something really disgusting (like a 3 or 4 cheese grilled cheese with a whole lot of cheese that I don't like). The tomato soup was still very good.

-RM

Thanks.

Do recall if it was Jan or Feb? There was some reporting in the "Let's Eat" thread that as of Feb. 1, it was off the menu.

bocastephen Feb 8, 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 29394025)
Thanks.

Do recall if it was Jan or Feb? There was some reporting in the "Let's Eat" thread that as of Feb. 1, it was off the menu.

Seriously? The entire hot bites concept is gone? So we're back to cold snacks in a basket dumped in the galley for everyone to pick over?

Great, another couple cuts and I will take my paid business tickets back to ANA, or even Air Canada which has a Polaris-like seat in their 787s because it seems Polaris is going the way of domestic first.

So with the value proposition of domestic first now based off the "big seat and snack" concept of Spirit Airlines, what exactly is the current value proposition of Polaris when the seat is certainly not unique, and the rest of the amenities are either gone or going, and parts of the hard product (mattress, pajamas, gel pillow, etc) are either not boarded, or need to be fought over by multiple customers?

Absolutely ridiculous.

fumje Feb 8, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 29394025)
Thanks.

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 29394098)
Seriously? The entire hot bites concept is gone? So we're back to cold snacks in a basket dumped in the galley for everyone to pick over?

Great, another couple cuts and I will take my paid business tickets back to ANA, or even Air Canada which has a Polaris-like seat in their 787s because it seems Polaris is going the way of domestic first.

So with the value proposition of domestic first now based off the "big seat and snack" concept of Spirit Airlines, what exactly is the current value proposition of Polaris when the seat is certainly not unique, and the rest of the amenities are either gone or going, and parts of the hard product (mattress, pajamas, gel pillow, etc) are either not boarded, or need to be fought over by multiple customers?

Absolutely ridiculous.

The menu has replaced the 'hot bites' with a more vague offering of 'comfort food'. I would think most comfort food is hot, but you never know, could turn into oreos. No confirmed reports I believe that there is actually no hot snack available.

LC757 Feb 8, 2018 8:50 am

I have a 15 hour EWR-PVG next week. If hot bites are indeed gone, that's a downgrade from the mid flight hot noodle soup service they had on TPACs prior to the Polaris rollout.

It seems pretty likely to me that Kirby's influence has been all over these recent "death by a thousand cuts". But with each cut, UA pushes me closer and closer to DL.

qukslvr619 Feb 8, 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by 54321 (Post 29393845)

I'm not disputing what you heard, but do you know if it was just on that they were condensing the carts or removing the bloody mary/mimosas/wine from certain shorter length flights?

goodeats21 Feb 8, 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 29394143)
The menu has replaced the 'hot bites' with a more vague offering of 'comfort food'. I would think most comfort food is hot, but you never know, could turn into oreos. No confirmed reports I believe that there is actually no hot snack available.

Correct. Someone posted a menu that didn't list "Hot Bites" at all. Not even with the generic "ask flight attendant for today's selection".

So I don't know if the actual items are no longer offered, if they have been downgraded, or if this is just more dumbing down of the menu, so they can load whatever they feel like (or whatever was on clearance / about to spoil / etc).

But regardless, it is becoming obvious United is in slash mode again.

Miles Ahead Feb 8, 2018 9:02 am

I flew NRT-ORD on 1 February. No hot bites. There was a basket (like a domestic first basket) by the exit.