Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris® service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us — they’ve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but it’ll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
• Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
• Hot towels
• Linen placement
• Pre-meal beverage cart
• Appetizer and salad cart
• Bread and beverage refills
• Entrées
• Bread and beverage refills
• Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
• Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
• Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
• Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
• Hot towels
• Pre-arrival tray setup with entrée and choice of beverage
• Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure country’s pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. What’s changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers’ requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) – While we’ll no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service – We’re removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers – Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags – To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:20 pm

Just waiting for when the IAD and EWR Polaris lounges are open, and they then have the excuse to cut the redeye transatlantic service to the bare bones you see on AA, LX, BA, etc.

Tuolumne is correct - cuts are all over the industry.

UA is I think still better than AA on the onboard soft product front in biz. A notch below Delta, but that's hit or miss these days - the wine is decent. And the 3 cabin European carriers...well they've been pretty mediocre in business for a while when it comes to soft product.

LOT, Austrian, Alitalia - the specialty 2 cabin carriers are the only ones that really stand out to Europe.

To Asia CX has long been pretty bare bones in business. Serving $10 wines, tiny portions. Check out this wine list for biz

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ning/wine.html

Ultra long haul, sure Etihad is nice, but in biz is it worth an extra connection. Wines are in the $15 - $20 range so they're not spending like crazy

Etihad-Business-Class-787 - 44 - One Mile at a Time

What I have noticed is the wine selection in UA biz is better this year - let's see if that holds. My biggest gripe is going back to the plain main course selections from the more inventive first gen Polaris attempts.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Coffee has gotten really awful. It may be Illy branded but doesn't taste like Illy coffee I drink at home or at restaurants.

As for ramen, I rarely eat packaged noodles. By the way, Korean Air serves the ramen heated up and in a bowl.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
The coffee is only as good the water to make it.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Regarding industry wide cut back in J, yes, I can attest to it...but my samples are only within *A.

I have my fair share of instant noodles on SQ as mid-flight hot options, although they do serve them in a nice ceramic bowl with a cover. SQ also serve sandwiches, chips, cookies and others during mid-flight just like UA, but their presentation makes the offerings a better experience than the UA caferteria approach.

However, I do note other *A carriers don’t seem to cut quality in their wine and liquor offerings. This is the area UA has done poorly.

I love the Blood Mary cart services on flights leaving Australia in the morning and am really sorry to see it goes away.

I don’t really fly non-*A airlines, but happy to have choices that are alternative to UA.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Well Ill take the contrary approach.

I would rather see higher paying labor contracts, larger profit sharing, and happier employees, than stuff like mid-flight hot bite options (on short intl.) or bloody Mary carts.

Of course, should the company materially (b/c these reductions are about as material as getting rid of the 2nd pillow Polaris originally had) change the club or onboard soft-product, I have my pitchfork ready and willing to go.
I would rather see a consistent, quality product delivered by properly trained and supported crew members who have the tools, ongoing training, monitoring/feedback and pride to do their jobs. I would rather see every United experience follow the same set of minimum service and product standards that are advertised. I would rather see millions of dollars go into systems, products and incentives, and not into sports stadiums, events and other nonsense that no one cares about and won't sell any more or fewer airline tickets one way or the other.

If United cannot even deliver the basics consistently, I am not giving them a free pass to run around cutting and stripping every time some dime-store MBA with a spreadsheet either makes a mistake (offering wine directly results in more people drinking it? DUH! Idiots.) or tries to fix someone else's mistake in a desperate last-breath grab at some imaginary quarterly metric that only matters to analysts and investors who collectively bring absolutely no quantifiable value to the company.

You can't charge Singapore prices and deliver Spirit products and service - either do one, or the other, but be consistent and authentic.
FlytheTail, demkr, mmack and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think UA is right to think their customers buy on price and route and don’t expect quality. I buy International J from them when it is the cheapest option, which in my experience it often is, especially when I can find a leg or two in R. It doesn’t compete on quality. Polaris may have been an effort to market that they would, but it appears they’ve concluded they can’t .
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by jfk747
The coffee is only as good the water to make it.
You would think that after recycling the water would be of high quality.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I think UA is right to think their customers buy on price and route and don’t expect quality. I buy International J from them when it is the cheapest option, which in my experience it often is, especially when I can find a leg or two in R. It doesn’t compete on quality. Polaris may have been an effort to market that they would, but it appears they’ve concluded they can’t .
I remain convinced that the entire Polaris thing was a marketing scheme launched by a bunch of clueless 20 somethings who’d never flown long haul in their lives. All fluff and no substance from the start. Remember the stupid champange glasses on a stick?

i can imagine them sitting around the conference room “Hey, wine flights are cool, let’s do wine flights” and the whole room said in unison “rad, give her a bonus.” Since they’d never flown little issues like how to actually pull it off on board a plane or that the FAs might say “screw this, there goes my gossip time” never occured to the air heads.

I find myself longing for a nice white crisp napkin and not the stupid polyester hankies they’re using. I hate the dishware I hate the food. I want my bread basket back. I want my cheese service back. I just want a choice of crackers. I want my salad dressing back.

All already faded bling and no substance.

BYW what’s up with the the Charlie Trotter project blast. They keep pushing it but I’ve never seen a shred of actual food on board.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I'm taking a trip over the course over the next couple weeks that will put me in J for longhaul flights in LO, OS, and BR (as well as flying a new 789 on TG BKK-TPE, which is 3.5-4 hours). I have a feeling I might never want to fly longhaul in UA again afterwards...
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Once you hear the buzzword "CASM-ex" more than a few times in an investor call, you know management is trying to direct Wall Street's attention to the company's cost-containment efforts. Cuts to the soft product are just about the easiest levers an airline can pull when cost becomes an issue.
Originally Posted by halls120
Cheap, cheap, cheap. Kirby is as bad as SMI/J.
​​​​​​​The changes being discussed will not have a meaningful impact on CASM. Maybe encouraging lower wine consumption could have a very small impact, but eliminating a Bloody Mary cart at the beginning of service, while still offering Bloody Marys, seems to be more oriented on pacifying FAs and improving service flow.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
So did they remove the sleep cow mist from the amenity kit? My last two kits didn't have them. Actually used and liked it.

reading all of this i stand behind my comments that polaris food is worse than pmco bf...from salad size, dressing, croutons, bread, cheese, warm apps, and espresso. The gains were dessert options and hot bites.... of which is being removed.

the pajamas, slippers and bedding are great...but fighting uninterested crew for items is a turn off.

let me end my comments this way...what has been added to polaris soft products since rollout? I know lounges are not in that response
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Honestly, there is practically not one positive review on this entire thread. From what I can see, the bloody mary cart is gone (which I never knew existed), plus the USA-Europe 'Hot Bites' mid flight snack. The amount of whining over trivial things just makes me laugh. If UA Polaris is so terrible aren't there a plethora of other *A Int'l business options you can choose.

Adam
uanj likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2018 at 2:10 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
fighting for perks...

On long haul polaris flights (EWR - DEL), I boarded and saw that they offered sleep suits, slippers, an extra pad/pillow? and, I think, a lightweight throw.
I asked when we were boarding for one of each. I got a "look." I got slippers. Nothing else. Then when I reminded them, I was literally thrown a small sleep suit. I am plus size. Obviously. I was told that the men needed the larger sizes and that they would stretch. lol
I fly them again this weekend to Delhi, but expect the same lousy service. I with Delta flew non-stop from North America.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrau
The amount of whining over trivial things just makes me laugh. If UA Polaris is so terrible aren't there a plethora of other *A Int'l business options you can choose.

Adam
this is all a red herring

United made certain statements regarding Polaris and its benefits. Now they are either half arse fulfilling THEIR commitments or are removing the commit altogether. In some cases without any mention.

The price of the ticket is 100% irrelevant.

The points being made are to see UA live up to its promise. Or for them to be open and honest about no longer being able to do so. Nothing more or less.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2018 at 2:10 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by adambrau
Honestly, there is practically not one positive review on this entire thread. From what I can see, the bloody mary cart is gone (which I never knew existed), plus the USA-Europe 'Hot Bites' mid flight snack. The amount of whining over trivial things just makes me laugh. If UA Polaris is so terrible aren't there a plethora of other *A Int'l business options you can choose.

Adam
I fly out of ORD and mainly fly to LHR, AMS and CDG. Please list the plethora of other *alliance nonstop options. I seem to have overloooked them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2018 at 2:11 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.