Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris® service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us — they’ve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but it’ll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
• Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
• Hot towels
• Linen placement
• Pre-meal beverage cart
• Appetizer and salad cart
• Bread and beverage refills
• Entrées
• Bread and beverage refills
• Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
• Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
• Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
• Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
• Hot towels
• Pre-arrival tray setup with entrée and choice of beverage
• Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure country’s pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. What’s changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers’ requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) – While we’ll no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service – We’re removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers – Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags – To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Talking Case studies

Originally Posted by SS255
So, United rolled out Polaris almost 2 years ago to great fanfare, and will never be able to deliver the product they promised. Swell. HBS case study in the making.
They will have a whole volume dedicated to them.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I read somewhere else (don't recall where) that the wine flights were an issue because UA went 300% over budget on wine. Sounds like someone is analysing line items out of context rather than looking at the bigger picture. Not usually a successful long term approach.

That said, personally I couldn't possibly care less about the wine flights or the bloody mary cart. I rarely drink alcohol, least of all on planes. Give me some decent main course choices (spicy chicken and spicy omeltte every time please), the current dessert set up, refill my water glass, provide a bed that's long enough and can accommodate my feet, and I'm a happy camper. I'd trade all the booze on the plane for a guaranteed gel pillow, the return of the 2nd regular pillow, and a mattress pad.

It's not that I don't enjoy travelling in pure luxury, but once my basic wants (let's face it, these aren't *needs*) are met, I'm a happy camper. 20 years ago I was over the moon when as a student and 2P I was able to upgrade into the 48-inch-pitch barcaloungers on the 744. EK can't provide me a flat bad half the time. SQ's flat bed sucks for taller people. The grass really isn't always greener.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by miberns
I consider Polaris itself a downgrade. I'm only 6' tall and I can't lie fully flat in the Polaris seat. I fly Emirates, Singapore, EVA and Turkish now. All of their seats, service and meal choices are far superior. I was Global Services on United and find I am treated better with no status on all these airlines. Also the business class fares are lower for a self employed guy with no corporate discount.
No ... now you just have grass-is-greener-ititis.

On Singapore you can only lie fully flat if you angle sideways just right and squeeze your feet into the "cubby". Their service is amazing, the lie flat seats not so much (at least for me on the 350). For me the food is hit and miss; but the rest of the service great.

On ANA you can lie flat, but if you bend your knees just a little they'll hit the edge of the table (or the plate under the table?). Ouch! Be careful turning around. The gigantic table is awesome though. Oh, and their seat is the only one where I more than once have dropped my phone down on the floor through the seat. That part is really frustrating. Service is usually good and the Japanese food delicious. But the seat... nah. Also, business class seats with no windows(!) I think on some of their 787s.

One of the best serviced flights I was on last year was a United flight SFO to CDG with a European crew (yeah, it was surprising to me as well).
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am furious just reading this - did you escalate to a purser or another FA to get those items for you? That kind of snarky reply is absolutely unacceptable.
My "favorite" was a FA on SFO-ICN (in first on the 747, so more than a year ago) who walked through the cabin more or less yelling "tables up, tables up" when she wanted to put down the table cloths. When we (myself and colleague and probably half the rest of the cabin, day time flight) put our laptops up on the table to continue working she followed up with "you have to put that away".
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Looking at several trips coming up and despite all these "enhancements" the prices are going up (way up).
Indeed. Polaris Business SYD-IAH is literally twice the price of NZ Business BNE-AKL-IAH for dates in March I checked.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
My personal tear shed moment is for the wine flights. For all the complaining here, I have found them surprisingly consistent and available. I have yet to be on a flight when they weren’t. I love them.[/left]
The dedicated wine cart, but not the wine flights, is going away.

Really, you could say United is aligning its initial cocktail service with “more celebrated” airlines hat don’t use carts and hand run everything from the galley.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by milepig
Lucky you. What else was on offer and how far beyond “we have red or white, which would you like” did it go? Was the glass refilled without flagging down a FA and begging for more?
I was pretty lucky. To be honest, I looked at the drinks menu and did not find anything of interest, so I was not paying attention when the cart was rolled around and did not notice how the offerings were presented. I asked what kind of champagne they had (it was not on the cart), and the FA did not know but went to the galley to find out. Since I could not understand the name the FA pronounced (mainly because I was not familiar with it), he brought the bottle out. I had a glass (it was excellent); the FA offered to refill before it was empty. I declined more and went to sleep.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
The most interesting thing to me is United used to have the perfect solution to the wine/drink/Bloody Mary issue : a dedicated beverage cart they would roll down the aisle.

Imagine, a cart filled with all the beverages one might request on a flight : spirts, beer, wine, juice, etc. The cart would magically stop at each row and the FA would ask what one might want to drink. And then, the FA would actually pour it and hand it to the passenger. No running back to the galley. No delay in providing service.

In all seriousness, getting rid of the drink cart made no sense at the Polaris roll out time and makes no sense now. And, don’t get me started on the lack of good salad dressings.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
I was pretty lucky. To be honest, I looked at the drinks menu and did not find anything of interest, so I was not paying attention when the cart was rolled around and did not notice how the offerings were presented. I asked what kind of champagne they had (it was not on the cart), and the FA did not know but went to the galley to find out. Since I could not understand the name the FA pronounced (mainly because I was not familiar with it), he brought the bottle out. I had a glass (it was excellent); the FA offered to refill before it was empty. I declined more and went to sleep.
Champagne not on the cart has been my experience of late as well. I noticed in the past that many had it when presented on the cart but now I see few glasses being fetched from the galley. Good was to save money by putting the dreck in front of you while hiding the Drappier!!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by villox
Step 1: Make the wines cheap and undrinkable
Step 2: Note that customers aren't getting the wine flights anymore
Step 3: Eliminate the wine flights as the uptake is low
Step 4: Profit?

Honestly, the hot bites removal doesn't bother me too much. I only ordered them once or twice when they first launched. Mostly the meal is filling enough and I'd rather just get a small snack, of which I think they have a decent selection btw, mid-flight.
I like them on long flights that leave late. For example, Newark to India I will often eat before the flight and then just go to sleep. When I get up I then want to eat something.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
We did two Polaris flights last year, one a TPAC shortly after the introduction and then a TALT in the fall. Since neither of us drink the wine flights, etc were a waste of time. The main courses were almost edible. The beds/lieflat seats were nice and we were able to get some good rest, especially going SFO to HKG and PVG back to SFO. We have a EWR-LHR trip this May and are wait listed for MUAs on both segments despite only 3 seats being booked right now. If they continue to "enhance" Polaris maybe I will just cancel the MUAs. I have already planned the EWR to LHR leg for the 9pm departure so we can enjoy a decent meal before boarding.......
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
For all of the discussion, for me it boils down to delivering what is advertised and being consistent about it. United is really bad at both of these things.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Yes they are Flyfrom Denver but that is nothing really nothing new but biz class sure beats E- on a long haul.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
The dedicated wine cart, but not the wine flights, is going away.

Really, you could say United is aligning its initial cocktail service with “more celebrated” airlines hat don’t use carts and hand run everything from the galley.
That is good, though I have a feeling though that this will spell the effective end of the wine flights. I somehow don’t foresee FA’s being happy about juggling three different bottles of wine going back and forth to fill your wine flight, or to carry the triple glass stands with wine through the cabin. It works now because everything is right there to serve from, and let’s them tell you what each bottle is. Plus, I can see the stands on the cart which tells me they are available, now it will be even more of a secret.

I shall remain hopeful though. It is the only Polaris enhancement I personally valued much, and I have found them to be very consistent about them. That is why these types of things are such a YMMV situation.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So how does UA make the choice of what to cut and what to leave? Do they ask customers? I think we all have our preferences.

Gel pillow is #1 for me. Makes all the difference for sleeping on the plane. Am thinking of buying one to take with me for when my GPUs do not work.

Alcohol - I may have one glass of red if it is a Cabernet or Shiraz, otherwise I do not drink. Too dehydrating on flights. However, there is never enough water. I am constantly needing to ask for more water. I drink from the water bottle very early in the flight.

Hot bites I often have these midflight. I often do not have the meal and find the prearrival snack unappealing. The "snacks" in the basket are very unappealing.

Music. So miss the ability to make a music set on United that is available on OALs.

Slippers. Such a necessity on flights, especially in the toilet towards the end of flights. What on earth are people doing in there?

​​​​​​Next paid J is in March. West cost to LHR, Will be interested to see what is available in my preferences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.