Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by EWR764
Word is out on another site (not my post) regarding a company memo about the May 1 "enhancements".

POLARIS SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS
Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the service updates go into effect?
A: The service updates are effective May 1, 2018, on all long-haul international flights.

2. Why are we making changes to our United Polaris® service?
A: Customers have positively received our United Polaris lounge, and this year we are opening more United Polaris lounges beginning this summer in San Francisco, Houston and New York/Newark and in the fall, Los Angeles. As we continue to add more lounges, we want to take into account the feedback that customers have given us — they’ve emphasized their desire to rest and relax during their journey, especially onboard. The updates to the service flow will allow us to continue providing a premium product with high-quality food, wine, amenities and more, but it’ll be delivered in a more efficient way.

3. What is the new international United Polaris meal service flow?
A: The meal service flow for both first and business class will be the same:
Pre-departure
• Pre-poured sparkling wine, orange juice and water offered from a silver tray, with other beverages available upon request.
Main meal service
• Hot towels
• Linen placement
• Pre-meal beverage cart
• Appetizer and salad cart
• Bread and beverage refills
• Entrées
• Bread and beverage refills
• Dessert and pre-plated cheese cart
• Individual water bottles with hang tags
Mid-flight service (when applicable)
• Display mid-flight snacks on console, self-service unit, fold-down trays or galley countertop.
• Heat and serve hot on-demand items (when applicable) upon customer request.
Pre-arrival service
• Hot towels
• Pre-arrival tray setup with entrée and choice of beverage
• Breads and pastries

4. Will we be able to offer other pre-departure beverages?
A: Yes, upon customer request fulfill other pre-departure beverages in accordance with each departure country’s pre-departure liquor procedures. Refer to the Flight Attendant Policies and Procedures Manual to determine if you are allowed to open beverage carts/carriers that contain alcohol on the ground.

5. Is there still a chocolate offered during pre-departure?
A: Pre-departure chocolates/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray instead for customers to enjoy during or after their flight.

6. What’s changing with the Bloody Mary and wine specialty beverage carts?
A: Wines and Bloody Marys will continue to be available upon request, but the dedicated cart service will change. This was a common flight attendant suggestion for improvement. A new branded cart cover is being sourced to improve presentation in the aisle and will be available shortly after launch.

7. Can we still offer wine tastings?
A: Absolutely. Although the wine arches with the 3 tastings will not be boarded, we can continue to honor customers’ requests to sample select wines.

8. What about the United Polaris first class soup and salad course?
A: The salad and appetizer will be delivered at the same time on a tray setup, instead of having a soup course.

9. What about the turndown service?
A: We will continue to offer the turndown service upon request.

10. Will Express Dining continue to be offered?
A: Yes, Express Dining will continue to be offered and can be requested and delivered at any point during the flight.

11. Will we continue to offer the mini desserts and fruit and cheese?
A: The mini desserts will continue to be offered from the three-tier cart with the signature ice cream service. In addition, pre-plated cheese will be added to the dessert cart. To make room for the fruit and cheese on the dessert cart, the specialty tea box will be removed from the cart, although specialty teas will continue to be available from the galley.

12. Are there any updates to the mid-flight and pre-arrival services?
A: There will be a few updates to both the mid-flight and pre-arrival service.
Mid-flight service (when available) – While we’ll no longer have formal presentation of mid-flight snacks, snack provisioning levels will remain the same and will continue to be displayed near the galley as is done today. Hang tags advising the customers that mid-flight snacks are available will be added to the individual bottle waters distributed after the main meal service. Hot snack items, when available, will also be delivered upon request.
Pre-arrival service – We’re removing tray table linens to reduce trips through the aisle. The tray itself will continue to have a linen liner. The pre-departure chocolate/dessert will be catered on the pre-arrival tray for customers to enjoy during or after the flight.

13. Will there be any new service items introduced to support the new United Polaris service?
A: Yes, there are a few new elements that will be introduced, including:
Cart covers – Similar to some of our competitors, branded cart covers for both the half and full carts will be boarded for use in the aisle on both the beverage and meal tray carts. Cart covers will be available shortly after launch.
Hang tags – To be placed on individual bottle waters at the end of the main meal service to advise customers that mid-flight snacks are available.

14. Will we be changing the domestic meal service procedures to align with the new United Polaris service (e.g. pre-poured pre-departure beverages)?
A: We will continue listening to the feedback of our customers and our flight attendants and will adjust our processes where necessary to deliver the best service for our customers.
Some key points:

- Return of the salad/appetizer cart, although I suspect it's just going to be the meal cart with a fancy cover, to reduce the number of galley trips with hand-run trays
- Beverage carts coming back to the aisle (similar to DL and the former 3-cabin sUA business class service) with branded cart covers
- Soup is gone in Polaris First (so no more differentiation; the product isn't expected to last the full year, anyway)
- Wine tasting arches are gone
- No bloody mary carts (already announced)
- Hot bites will stay
- Bread refills to be offered (return of the bread basket?)
- Pre-departure chocolates returned to the pre-arrival tray

In many ways, this is going to look like the former three-cabin BusinessFirst service with nicer linens and serviceware. Overall, not the sweeping change (or depth of cuts) I was expecting. No word on provisioning of the other items (gel pillows, mattress pads, slippers, PJs, etc.)
Print Wikipost

[Rumor] More Polaris "Enhancements" coming May 1, 2018? ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
OTP and BUD are your friends from SFO. PEK from BOS. A few others from time to time.
And currently, MXP, which is an easier connection to other cities in Western Europe.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox
*shaking head* 20 pages into this, and the only thing I can take away from it is that UA should be terrified of the mindset it has created in its best customers. Regardless of how representative FT is of the broader flying community, pretty much everybody in this thread has either paid for Polaris, or has high enough status in the post-PQD era to upgrade to it. This is at least a sampling of the group literally keeping the airline alive.

The fact that we can have 20 pages of discourse on it says only that the product is so inconsistent, so confusing, and so mis-trusted that customers are full of fear and doubt about what they can expect for their money, the next time they get on a United premium aircraft. Until UA finds a way to fix THAT, whether or not they have a hot nibble mid-flight is truly the least of their problems. I have flights booked out for the next 5 months on SQ, NH and a handful on DL. Let me assure you that I'm spending little or ANY time in any of those forums (even DL) stressing out about what I'm going to encounter on their planes.

What a mess.
Take a look at this thread from 10 years ago about UA not having a consistent product / questions about competing against better intl carriers / 'nickel and diming.' Same themes, many of the same participants.

Could UA turn its image and bottom line around by being known as customer friendly?

Here's a prescient one from sinoflyer

"
I am one of those believers that in the airline industry, employees are priority #1 , and THEN the customers #2 . You cannot have unmotivated employees to consistently serve to the customers' wide variety of needs.

UA already has many very customer-friendly features in place. We just take them for granted because we travel on it so much, such as .bomb's 24-hour cancellation policy, same-day standby, Mileage Plus, a customer service desk that in many instances dispenses too much compensation (try getting that with CO). But UA's overall product is quite shabby because the "experience" is inconsistent and the service unreliable. UA doesn't need to placate to everybody (it tried and failed with "Rising," circa 1998-2000 or thereabouts). Rather, it needs to deliver a consistent product. When that happens, customers will gravitate toward it and forgive it of its shortcomings.
  • "
At least we don't hear as many of the 'management vs labor' themes we used to, which is a big change for UA that loomed over just about everything.

I put up with and pay for UA because, for me, it's the most user friendly airline. SDC policy is amazing - global SDC with a full 24 hour window - very underappreciated. The app just works. Expert mode / the website is the easiest for me to shop and play with.

There's plenty of E+ even for last minute bookings, I manage to find a good use for my instruments each year. They're the most flexible about rerouting / dealing with IRROPs vs DL/AA, but have been pretty boring to fly the last couple of years because they're so reliable.

Polaris is fine - if anything it's too consistent and predictable. If I don't like it I can fly LH/LX/ANA/AC and get full credit. I prefer the food options (paid and in first) over those on AA, and on DL they only really outshine for me on the transcons. Wifi is better than DL/AA Gogo in my experience, although I don't effectively pay for Gogo because it's so unerliable I end up with a certificate each time.

My biggest gripe is the PQD policy for partners - Delta's (probably because of bad IT) is more lenient about partners - and avail of advance upgrades on premium transcons (DL/AA better about this, but I have dual status with DL that helps that).
EWR764 and fly2lanai like this.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Feb 19, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Had a chance to chat up some rank & file in IAH last week. Appears there is an appreciation for Kirby... "Well, he is an airline guy.. not a train guy .. and knows what he is doing". I went on to explain some of the "enhancements" that are happening to Polaris and other service areas... I left them with this thought... , "slowly but surely Kirby is trying to turn UA into AA.. and you will lose a lot of HVF because of that".
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Here's a prescient one from sinoflyer

"UA already has many very customer-friendly features in place. We just take them for granted because we travel on it so much, such as .bomb's 24-hour cancellation policy...
Following a DOT rule (allowing 24 hour cancellation) makes United customer friendly? That's really scraping the bottom of the barrel to vindicate UAL. In case you didn't notice, ALL U.S. airlines allow 24-hour cancellation...because the DOT requires them to.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Following a DOT rule (allowing 24 hour cancellation) makes United customer friendly? That's really scraping the bottom of the barrel to vindicate UAL. In case you didn't notice, ALL U.S. airlines allow 24-hour cancellation...because the DOT requires them to.
@cerealmarketer was quoting a 2008 post by @sinoflyer.

In 2008, there was no such DOT rule. See: https://www.transportation.gov/sites...20130530_0.pdf
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

That post is from 2008. Re-read.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120

Sorry, but it’s clear that you’ve never flown Austrian. I don’t know if they have the largest desert selection in the sky, but I do know their dessert selection is larger than what Polaris offers.
OS honestly doesn't factor in my thinking because of the seat. Food is irrelevant if I can't sleep comfortably. OS kills it on catering (thanks, Do & Co) though, no question about it.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Or Lufthansa, or Singapore, or......
Plenty of both, and never seen four dessert options on either in business class. Relax a little folks, I was just illustrating that perhaps everything UA is not a complete disaster.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Plenty of both, and never seen four dessert options on either in business class. Relax a little folks, I was just illustrating that perhaps everything UA is not a complete disaster.
UA does beer and dessert well/above average (IMO). Everything else about the food...only the midflight snack (which is getting ‘enhanced’ away on some (all?) routes) is worth noting otherwise.

As for the comment about Kirby being an ‘airline’ guy...Smisek has a decent amount of experience in the airline industry too...much food that did...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OS honestly doesn't factor in my thinking because of the seat. Food is irrelevant if I can't sleep comfortably. OS kills it on catering (thanks, Do & Co) though, no question about it.
Agree, most UA J-seats are better for sleeping. I like OS though on Westbound TATL daytime flights, where sleeping is less important.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
As for the comment about Kirby being an ‘airline’ guy...Smisek has a decent amount of experience in the airline industry too...much food that did...
He was a lawyer and spent most of his career at a law firm (Vinson & Elkins). His sole airline experience was as a CO executive..
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Hot bites/comfort food gone?

Sounds like there had been some mixed reports on whether the hot bites/comfort foods for mid-flight snacks were being cut. I'd traveled SIN-SFO in late February, and they were still around (had the grilled cheese/tomato soup). Had some family members travel SIN-SFO in early March; they were told by the ISM that these were eliminated as of March 1 and there were no hot snacks on the flight (just the cold items in the galley). This is disappointing for the longer routes if true.

I think the hot bites were overkill on short routes to Europe, for example - 2 meal services is quite sufficient for an ~ 8 hour flight. But when you get to some of the 15+ hour ultra long haul routes like SFO/LAX-SIN and IAH/SFO/LAX-SYD, it's quite common for passengers to want a hot snack or light meal in between services. My personal opinion is that any flight that's long enough to get PJ's should also get hot mid-flight snack options. Disappointing if these cutbacks are true for the long haul routes.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by gcashin
Sounds like there had been some mixed reports on whether the hot bites/comfort foods for mid-flight snacks were being cut. I'd traveled SIN-SFO in late February, and they were still around (had the grilled cheese/tomato soup). Had some family members travel SIN-SFO in early March; they were told by the ISM that these were eliminated as of March 1 and there were no hot snacks on the flight (just the cold items in the galley). This is disappointing for the longer routes if true.

I think the hot bites were overkill on short routes to Europe, for example - 2 meal services is quite sufficient for an ~ 8 hour flight. But when you get to some of the 15+ hour ultra long haul routes like SFO/LAX-SIN and IAH/SFO/LAX-SYD, it's quite common for passengers to want a hot snack or light meal in between services. My personal opinion is that any flight that's long enough to get PJ's should also get hot mid-flight snack options. Disappointing if these cutbacks are true for the long haul routes.
Hot bites were available on my SYD-IAH flight on March 4 (didn't partake). I'm flying EWR-DEL in 2 days and will report back.

Last edited by villox; Mar 9, 2018 at 9:56 am Reason: Corrected AKL to SYD
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gcashin
Had some family members travel SIN-SFO in early March; they were told by the ISM that these were eliminated as of March 1 and there were no hot snacks on the flight (just the cold items in the galley). This is disappointing for the longer routes if true.
Available March 5 HKG-SFO. It was like pulling teeth to get them though. That's one of the more annoying things about many of the Polaris benefits, you have to corner an FA and basically beg them for various service items. Nothing was offered proactively by the crew.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by villox
Hot bites were available on my AKL-IAH flight on March 4 (didn't partake). I'm flying EWR-DEL in 2 days and will report back.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Available March 5 HKG-SFO. It was like pulling teeth to get them though. That's one of the more annoying things about many of the Polaris benefits, you have to corner an FA and basically beg them for various service items. Nothing was offered proactively by the crew.
Thanks for the info! The family members were traveling SIN-SFO on March 6, so hopefully that was just a one-off and either a catering error or rogue ISM making up stuff about cutbacks. Really hope they don't cut those from the longer flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.