Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
What is this board's obsession with china and glassware?

Visual improvements can go a long way right?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Originally Posted by dmo580
it makes you feel like you are in First Class. For about 10 seconds.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:41 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
With a seat map like that I would not choose 20F. How much do they want for 20K?
Seat 20K is $249. It would be my choice, as well. I only used 20F as an example in order to compare pricing for something in PE to comparable Y+ seat in non-PE.

(Seat 31J is $202, and seat 40J is $224,BTW.)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by 1984SW
(bolding added by me)

Ah, that could well be. RIGHT NOW they haven't done it.

Still, with the revenue management tweaks that UA has at their disposal, I'm still surprised they don't do it for one airplane. They could always refund the "surcharge" if it swaps out to a non-PE airplane. I guess I've just become way too cynical that airlines are out for every drop of blood (i.e. revenue) at every opportunity.
I can totally understand the decision to not try and actually sell the PE Seats until they have enough planes to insure an A/C swap does not result in seat remapping. While the back end changes could maid to accommodate it, you also have the resultant unhappy customer experience to deal with it. I know that If I booked a PE seat for a TPAC or even a TATL and ended up in a E+ (or gasp E-) seat for the flight, I would be unhappy and would let United know. Besides the fare difference refund, I would expect some type of downgrade compenstation.

Making temporary changes to software systems is never done lightly. Anytime you make changes, you have to go through a QA cycle (or at least I hope United does), you effort is better spent on getting the mods for selling PE reservations right the first time.

So for a few months, there are going to be some really happy campers on some flights. Now the interesting fact will be the unhappy campers from those rows, who have their seats disappear when a PE equipped A/C is swapped in for there normal 10 across 777.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by drowelf
So for a few months, there are going to be some really happy campers on some flights. Now the interesting fact will be the unhappy campers from those rows, who have their seats disappear when a PE equipped A/C is swapped in for there normal 10 across 777.
They will be REALLY unhappy when they are assigned E- middle seats (with special emphasis on groups wanting to sit together that booked E+ seats up front that are split up) on the 3-4-3 config.... this config sucks (and the flight attendants I have spoken to working these flights hate the config as well).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:34 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Anybody interested in a Premium Economy seat on a domestic flight on N796UA? Currently it's scheduled to operate UA1995 / 06JUL / ORD-EWR.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Has United announced a timeframe of when all aircraft will be equipped with PE? I believe Delta recently announced that all of their wide-bodies will be upgraded before the end of 2020, or was that 2021.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Has United announced a timeframe of when all aircraft will be equipped with PE? I believe Delta recently announced that all of their wide-bodies will be upgraded before the end of 2020, or was that 2021.
UA will have them completed by 2035.....
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by mike2003242
UA will have them completed by 2035.....
So soon?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Random tidbit that could have interesting implications: United's sales department is saying that the new Premium Economy booking classes are going to be O, A, and R. This is significantly different than Lufthansa (G, E, N) and ANA (G, E).

Possibly related is that ANA has started publishing R availability to Sabre (ordered in-between P and G). Sabre seems to be categorizing it as business class at the moment, but it's all 0'd out right now.

A makes a lot of sense, but it'll be interesting if using O and R implies any sort of policy change aside from a simple booking class realignment.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Sykes
Random tidbit that could have interesting implications: United's sales department is saying that the new Premium Economy booking classes are going to be O, A, and R. This is significantly different than Lufthansa (G, E, N) and ANA (G, E).

Possibly related is that ANA has started publishing R availability to Sabre (ordered in-between P and G). Sabre seems to be categorizing it as business class at the moment, but it's all 0'd out right now.
Very interesting - thanks for the news!

O and A don't seem terribly surprising; I assume O will stay as the *A 3-cabin F award code but there's already precedent for it being used as a PE code (both AC and NZ use it), and A is a no-brainer. They also have pulled all A fares from the domestic market* and indeed just need to implement an IT switchover from 2-class F/Y to 2-class J/Y and the fare structure will fall through in-place from FUA to JUA.

The use of R is a little stranger, given that it doesn't have a history as a *A PE code, and they presumably now have to use something else for upgrades to Business. We'll just have to see.

*and apparently forgot to send the memo to RM, as C is the new A despite much better availability
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sykes
I guess O will now be available for revenue bookings given the demise of GF. I hope this doesn't say anything about the availability of partner F awards through MP.

They'll have to designate at least one new fare class for upgrades. Upgrades to PE are not going to go into a revenue fare class (though they could still go to RN).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They'll have to designate at least one new fare class for upgrades. Upgrades to PE are not going to go into a revenue fare class (though they could still go to RN).
I wonder if O and A will be revenue and R will be upgrades. Otherwise, they'll need two new fare classes -- one for upgrades into J and one for upgrades into P+.

I suppose they could use PN for all upgrades into J, but I assume they want to keep different target fare classes for GS and non-GS upgrades.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would expect close alignment with the TATL JV market, and LH and AC both have 3 revenue PE classes.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I wonder if O and A will be revenue and R will be upgrades. Otherwise, they'll need two new fare classes -- one for upgrades into J and one for upgrades into P+.

I suppose they could use PN for all upgrades into J, but I assume they want to keep different target fare classes for GS and non-GS upgrades.
Move non-GS to RN?

This is reading tea leaves, but using R for PE might suggest upgrades Y-J will not be allowed, but rather Y-W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.