Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Singapore and United have the same setup where the bulkhead seats have a leg rest and footrest built in, while the rest have a built in leg rest with the footrest attached to the seat in front.

This is much better than what a lot of airlines offer, including American who have no leg rests in non-bulkhead seats.

You can see that the UA seat behind has a leg rest, which is actually full width unlike the SQ seat. Both are clearly better than the AA seat which you can see has no leg rest at all.
I'm pretty sure LH has no leg rest in the non-bulkhead seats as well. It looks like the pitch is smaller on UA than most of the European airlines shown. The recline also doesn't look like it's that great, but compared to the slimline seat recline on UAs domestic birds, it looks like a big improvement.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am trying to book GPU-eligible W fare flights to China for a friend. The flights never came out when I typed in "W" on booking class. So, I typed in "W,V," booking code, the flights with V booking code showed up. I had similar experiences with other routes recently. Anyone else?
I just tried ORD-PEK for October and put W fare in the search and it did provide me a W fare. Is the flight you try to book coming soon so that W is sold out? Or is your friend leaving from a small city? When I went to PVG in January due to the small city as the origin with connection in ORD, I was forced into the Q fare. From ORD, I could have gotten the W fare.

So, no, I don't think that W fare is reserved for Premium Economy.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The seats look fine to me... industry standard. DL, AA and UA are using the same seat, just with different options. AA's looks to be the most 'bare-bones' from outward appearance, though I'll admit I haven't flown in any of them yet. Purple is indeed an interesting color choice since it is the first time it has been used in the post-merger UA color palette, but it's distinctive and fits well in the 'sea of blue'. The IFE screens look great. I'm also eager to see what the service elements will look like... we already know it'll be the small Saks pillow and 'day blanket', and presumably the p.s.-style amenity kit. I am curious to see what United plans regarding meal service.

I am trying to book GPU-eligible W fare flights to China for a friend. The flights never came out when I typed in "W" on booking class. So, I typed in "W,V," booking code, the flights with V booking code showed up. I had similar experiences with other routes recently. Anyone else?
OT, but the best move is to enter "Y,B,M,E,H,U,Q,V,W" if looking for GPU-eligible fares. Your travel parameters (advance purchase, stay, origin/destination, etc.) might not always be eligible for a W fare, or in some cases there might not be a published fare corresponding with the inventory display. Doing it this way will ensure the lowest GPU-eligible fare is returned.

With respect to PE/PP, I think UA will reassign 2-3 existing Y/C fare classes to the service once it goes on sale, to match/map to JV partners.

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 26, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Singapore and United have the same setup where the bulkhead seats have a leg rest and footrest built in, while the rest have a built in leg rest with the footrest attached to the seat in front.

This is much better than what a lot of airlines offer, including American who have no leg rests in non-bulkhead seats.

You can see that the UA seat behind has a leg rest, which is actually full width unlike the SQ seat. Both are clearly better than the AA seat which you can see has no leg rest at all.
The key difference, for me is the support under the leg /knee vs for the feet. I personally prefer the UA bulkhead and SQ support. I have flown PE on OALs and tried different configurations.

I personally had been hoping for the lounge chair style seats used in business class in the 1980s and 1990s. Now that would have been a game changer.

As others have noted PE will be better than E+
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:12 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 1984SW
They charge different prices for window/middle/aisle/exit row/etc, so I figured they could just charge a slightly higher price for the seats in the PE section, but looks like they can't/won't/didn't.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you're missing the point. They can't charge more for a PE seat right now because with only one PE aircraft in the entire fleet, there is no guaranty you will get a PE seat. They can however, guaranty an aircraft with E+, so they're just leveling normal E+ charges.
(bolding added by me)

Ah, that could well be. RIGHT NOW they haven't done it.

Still, with the revenue management tweaks that UA has at their disposal, I'm still surprised they don't do it for one airplane. They could always refund the "surcharge" if it swaps out to a non-PE airplane. I guess I've just become way too cynical that airlines are out for every drop of blood (i.e. revenue) at every opportunity.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No that has nothing to do with it. They're simply not offering a W.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tods27
It looks like the pitch is smaller on UA than most of the European airlines shown. The recline also doesn't look like it's that great, but compared to the slimline seat recline on UAs domestic birds, it looks like a big improvement.
It's hard to tell without a tape measure... my brain keeps seeing a huge mass of seats which look stylistically similar to Y and assuming that it's the same width and pitch as E-.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
It's hard to tell without a tape measure... my brain keeps seeing a huge mass of seats which look stylistically similar to Y and assuming that it's the same width and pitch as E-.
Looks like domestic F pitch to me (38"), which is about what we should expect.

Obviously much better than 10 across Y with 31-34" pitch. The most important things are (1) you won't be shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor forced to share a tiny little armrest, and (2) you'll have leg support and somewhere to rest your feet. While it's not lie-flat, it's going to be much less miserable than long-haul Y.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Obviously much better than 10 across Y with 31-34" pitch. The most important things are (1) you won't be shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor forced to share a tiny little armrest, and (2) you'll have leg support and somewhere to rest your feet. While it's not lie-flat, it's going to be much less miserable than long-haul Y.
Agreed on both counts - just commenting that because of the sheer number of seats, I'm seeing an optical illusion of sorts where I'm feeling the discomfort of Y looking at the pictures
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Agreed on both counts - just commenting that because of the sheer number of seats, I'm seeing an optical illusion of sorts where I'm feeling the discomfort of Y looking at the pictures
Yes I always get that when they show pictures of a Y cabin.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:13 am

I have experienced the BA Premium Economy with the 2-4-2 configuration and can assure you that you will not experience the discomfort of Y when you are sitting in Premium Economy. I have done LHR-SFO-LHR, LHR-ORD-LHR and LHR-PEK-LHR many times and not felt the need to try to upgrade.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:20 am
formerly 1984SW

Just tried a dummy booking SFO-CDG on UA990/25June as a non-status member, and was surprised that the PE seat doesn't go for a premium over a comparable non-PE Y+ seat. Both 21E and 31E were offered for $183. With the dynamic pricing for various Y+ seats, I thought the PE seats would be more.
My mother always told me I was put on this Earth to learn patience: now they do apparently charge more for the PE Y+ than for the non-PE Y+:

Code:
UA915/27Jun/IAD-CDG
20D $193 / 41D $155
20E $184 / 41E $146
20F $184 / 41F $146
20G $193 / 41G $155

UA989/26JUN/IAD-FRA
22F $169 / 32F $159
Or, are those not really parallel comparisons like 21E & 31E were?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:26 am
formerly 1984SW

Which is why I'm actually considering trying Premium Economy on NH. We used to travel just fine in UA's J Barcaloungers and, before that, in F recliners. My main concern is the "shoulder to shoulder" dimension since I've put on a bit of heft. I recently considered buying two Y seats via EXTRASEAT just for the width, but I think for only a little more money, I'd rather have a single Premium Economy seat.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:27 am

My mother always told me I was put on this Earth to learn patience: now they do apparently charge more for the PE Y+ than for the non-PE Y+:

Code:
UA915/27Jun/IAD-CDG
20D $193 / 41D $155
20E $184 / 41E $146
20F $184 / 41F $146
20G $193 / 41G $155

UA989/26JUN/IAD-FRA
22F $169 / 32F $159
Can't really tell without seeing the full map. If they really are doing it, will be a mess when the inevitable swaps come. How pissed would you be to pay top dollar for bulkhead P+ and wind up in a plain jane middle E+ seat?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:29 am

Code:
UA915/27Jun/IAD-CDG
20D $193 / 41D $155
20E $184 / 41E $146
20F $184 / 41F $146
20G $193 / 41G $155

UA989/26JUN/IAD-FRA
22F $169 / 32F $159
But the price differential is not really significant, not like it would be when they charge for PE and they are still not charging passengers who can have access to the Economy+ seats. And if I had to pay, I would be more likely to pay for seats in row 20 than row 41. I don't like being close to the toilets where there's a lot of traffic. Row 20 has little traffic since everybody has to go towards the back to the toilets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.