Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by halls120
And 6 months after initial rollout, the new P+ amenities will be cut back, if recent history is any indication.
What benefits have they announced that you expect will be cut back?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
"The seats will be more spacious and you’ll enjoy upgraded dining on china dinnerware, free alcoholic beverages, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow, an amenity kit and more."

Probably the "and more"!

{link on united.com}
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So inflight meals and amenities are no better than standard coach? Then what is the value proposition of United's Premium Economy - a Big Seat (a la Spirit?)

Certainly any savvy traveler would know to book away to a foreign airline that offers a proper Premium Economy product like CX, SQ, LH, heck even DL and AA with upgraded catering and services, etc. So Kirby's value proposition for the United product is "fly us instead of those better airlines and get the PQD you so desperately need to maintain your status, suckers!"

Yes, just as I thought ��
As a travel professional I figured you'd be aware that UA isn't actually selling the product yet!

Just like AA initially (and currently in markets where a PE-equipped airplane operates but the cabin is not sold as a distinct class of service), PE is treated the same as E+. IMO, a good deal right now for elites.

My guess is UA will start selling PE in certain markets as soon as the 77W fleet is completed, probably by the winter, at which point it will be treated as a separate class of service from a sales and provisioning perspective.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this just now or the long term plan once UA starts selling as a separate fare class??
Exactly.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Just like AA initially (and currently in markets where a PE-equipped airplane operates but the cabin is not sold as a distinct class of service), PE is treated the same as E+. IMO, a good deal right now for elites.
Yes a great opportunity to try the hard product (and have a substantially more comfortable ride) at no extra cost.

In any event, the better seat and the extra space are the only reasons I would buy up to P+. Enhanced soft product is really just window dressing.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

Originally Posted by Kacee
In any event, the better seat and the extra space are the only reasons I would buy up to P+. Enhanced soft product is really just window dressing.
Fully agreed. I switched most of my TATLs to LH PE since they did 3-4-3 on the 777s which probably is comparable to what United will offer. The GPU rate was better than what I had on United unless I tried SFO-FRA, which didn't happen.

Will be interesting to see how GPUs work out with the additional class of service. I believe the reason for my success on LH was that the PE booking classes are higher on the list then most economy booking classes that are eligible.

So long
-Ralf
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes a great opportunity to try the hard product (and have a substantially more comfortable ride) at no extra cost.

The downside is unless you're hopping on the 781 runs it's pretty hard to lock in a PE seat unless you book last minute.

Originally Posted by fl1ger
I believe the reason for my success on LH was that the PE booking classes are higher on the list then most economy booking classes that are eligible.
I believe LH gets paid cash when they clear UA GPUs, so they like doing it. But I and several others all have positive experience clearing LH E fares.. to the point I have never actually flown a PE product
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As a travel professional I figured you'd be aware that UA isn't actually selling the product yet!

Just like AA initially (and currently in markets where a PE-equipped airplane operates but the cabin is not sold as a distinct class of service), PE is treated the same as E+. IMO, a good deal right now for elites.....
OK, the post wasn't clear - given UA's track record, assuming the final PY product rolls out with significantly dumbed-down amenities (or the initial amenities are slashed within months) would not be a surprise at all.

As a travel professional, I do not book clients on United at all, unless they specifically ask for it to maintain status or it's a cheapest domestic coach option. I've received more than enough post-flight nastygrams, and prefer to keep my clients.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
i have no idea. I was merely speculating, based on their track record with the Polaris soft product rollbacks.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by halls120

i have no idea. I was merely speculating, based on their track record with the Polaris soft product rollbacks.
Which are what exactly? Specific drink cart replaced with order whatever you want and it’s made in the galley, wine arches not boarded but you can still order whatever wines you want, small pillow replaced with another small pillow that most people seem to prefer? The only realistic roll back that I can think of is the scented mist in the amenitt kit that is no longer offered.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
OK, the post wasn't clear - given UA's track record, assuming the final PY product rolls out with significantly dumbed-down amenities (or the initial amenities are slashed within months) would not be a surprise at all.

As a travel professional, I do not book clients on United at all, unless they specifically ask for it to maintain status or it's a cheapest domestic coach option. I've received more than enough post-flight nastygrams, and prefer to keep my clients.
To each their own... right now my impression is that AA firmly occupies the industry laggard position formerly held by United, especially with respect to reliability, and I've moved most of my spillover business away as a result. Admittedly, I value my time, so UA continues to offer me the best value proposition with nonstop service where I need to go.

I know from earlier posts that most of your business is longhaul, premium international so that's an entirely different ballgame, for which no US carrier offers a particularly compelling product vis-a-vis the better foreign carriers.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Meola10
Which are what exactly? Specific drink cart replaced with order whatever you want and it’s made in the galley, wine arches not boarded but you can still order whatever wines you want, small pillow replaced with another small pillow that most people seem to prefer? The only realistic roll back that I can think of is the scented mist in the amenitt kit that is no longer offered.
I flew in J the first month Polaris soft product was offered. The wine cart had 3 whites and 3 reds, all decent quality. Food was a step above the pre-Polaris service. 8 months later, the wine flight was gone, replaced by 2 reds and 2 whites of poor quality, and food portions and quality had gone downhill, back to pre-Polaris levels. There have been dozens and dozens of posts here by others who have voiced the same opinions.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome UA's rollout of true PE. I just have no confidence that the initial product will remain as good as it is once it is formally announced/sold, based on the track record of UA post merger.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are there routes announced for the soft rollout where Elites can book these seats at coach fares? Or is it just hit and miss and you won't know until an aircraft is assigned to your trip?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there routes announced for the soft rollout where Elites can book these seats at coach fares? Or is it just hit and miss and you won't know until an aircraft is assigned to your trip?
Just the 781 on EWR-LAX and EWR-SFO.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
To each their own... right now my impression is that AA firmly occupies the industry laggard position formerly held by United, especially with respect to reliability
I know from earlier posts that most of your business is longhaul, premium international so that's an entirely different ballgame, for which no US carrier offers a particularly compelling product vis-a-vis the better foreign carriers.
I would agree that the "Parkerized" AA is giving UA a run for its money to be the worst network carrier. It is ahead of everyone else on its PE roll-out, but has reduced service quality in about every other way, while not running a very good ship reliability wise.

The contrast - even with the European Carriers - is clear at this point. My parents just flew SFO-CDG on the AF380 having just flown AA's 772 in J to EZE. They both said that the experience was substantially better, service and definitely food/wine wise. They also really liked the A380 (as do I). Delta is making the most effort of the US3, but they lag as well, just not as badly.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
My parents just flew SFO-CDG on the AF380
Angle-flat seats.

Talk about an outdated product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.