Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Going to NYC in late April.

Is there a chance if I wait to buy PE they'll separate them out into PE, instead of E+ and the price will go way up?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Matt Rich

Is there a chance if I wait to buy PE they'll separate them out into PE, instead of E+ and the price will go way up?
On a domestic booking, I highly doubt it. The only way it would be segmented out by then would be if UA moves forward with its tentative plan (which I believe it has discussed) of dynamically pricing seat selection based on where the seat is on the aircraft.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
On a domestic booking, I highly doubt it. The only way it would be segmented out by then would be if UA moves forward with its tentative plan (which I believe it has discussed) of dynamically pricing seat selection based on where the seat is on the aircraft.
I would disagree. Once PE is integrated with the sales system I would expect them to sell the seats as a separate class of service. However, I have no idea when that is planned.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
I would disagree. Once PE is integrated with the sales system I would expect them to sell the seats as a separate class of service. However, I have no idea when that is planned.
I should have put a caveat in my statement, which is that what you mentioned definitely won't be done by April (unless the retrofitting magically picks up tremendous pace).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

I could see them doing something similar that is currently in place for the 3-class planes were GS/1K can select GF seats for free and others have to pay a separate surcharge. Once they have enough of these we might see something like that.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:23 pm

That's the only reason I would purchase now. Those 3 rows are empty both ways.

Are there any stats on these seats, width & pitch?

Also, what is in between the two seats? The UA map makes it look like a space the size of a seat is missing there.

Normally I would go Polaris one way, and maybe JetBlue the other way, but these seats look like a great deal for points + $100 or so.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
PE seats are inexpensive to obtain still. With advance purchase rate of under $160 one way for E-, Golds and above can select PE for free at booking.

Save points for higher value redemption.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That's the only reason I would purchase now. Those 3 rows are empty both ways.

Are there any stats on these seats, width & pitch?

Also, what is in between the two seats? The UA map makes it look like a space the size of a seat is missing there.

Normally I would go Polaris one way, and maybe JetBlue the other way, but these seats look like a great deal for points + $100 or so.
Imagine a domestic F seat, but with a much narrower console between you and the next seat -- this is roughly what the PE seats are. It's pretty comparable to flying 2-2 F on a 717 or MD-88 (or 2-2-2 recliner F on a 767)

The UA seatmap is using the same graphic as Economy Plus, hence the weird gap. The seats will be 2-3-2 of equal width and spacing.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:32 pm

Yah, I found a picture.

Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Learnt from a nice agent today....
- Series of training about the new PE service lined up for all customer support employees in the next 2 months
- PE will book into O fare
- Official announcement in Jan 2019
- PE will roll out in Q2
- Was not sure if 1Ks to have some advantage but this agent was guessing that it would be similar to Delta (will find out in training)
narvik and oopl like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by maqbool
- Was not sure if 1Ks to have some advantage but this agent was guessing that it would be similar to Delta (will find out in training)
You mean United/Kirby copied Delta again verbatim? I am shocked, someone help pick me up off the floor.
narvik and oopl like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by maqbool
Learnt from a nice agent today....
- Series of training about the new PE service lined up for all customer support employees in the next 2 months
- PE will book into O fare
- Official announcement in Jan 2019
- PE will roll out in Q2
Interesting! Thanks! So then what is R being used for?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Interesting! Thanks! So then what is R being used for?
O, A, and R are all going to be Premium Economy booking classes, according to my source. I don't know if they are all revenue booking classes, or if that represents a mix of revenue, upgrade, and award inventory. If that is a mix of revenue and award inventory, then it's possible that we'll only see one of them at launch and the remaining won't come until later.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
O, A, and R are all going to be Premium Economy booking classes, according to my source. I don't know if they are all revenue booking classes, or if that represents a mix of revenue, upgrade, and award inventory. If that is a mix of revenue and award inventory, then it's possible that we'll only see one of them at launch and the remaining won't come until later.
My guess — purely speculation — is that O and A will be revenue classes and R will be a standard award class. This is based on a hypothesis that *A will roll out PE awards and that they’ll use booking class R to do so (it’s available on most *A airlines). I’d then suspect that they will use additional booking classes for everyday awards (ON?) and upgrades (RN?).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still smells off to me not to have 3 revenue codes, which basically all the other *A carriers do (some have 4).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.