Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Angle-flat seats.

Talk about an outdated product.
I agree generally (I prefer a full lie flat, and would go for the AA seat) but it did not bother my parents. The good service they got inflight, good food, and for my mom good wine, and then a very nice lounge at CDG (they were going on to CMN, just had to wait for their letters of transit) was what stuck in their minds. I might add that I have had some good flights on angle-flat seats, and tend to sleep on my back on airlines anyway, so its not so much an issue. Frankly, having to climb over someone (or be climbed over) is a bigger issue for me than is a sufficiently sized angle-flat seats. E.g. I have flown on OZ's angle flat seats and did not find the experience to be bad, not as good as ANA's very nice J. (the new OZ seat on the 350 is very nice).

I think that what we find important (details about the seat) are often lost on most travelers, who really do respond to what they know which is good service, good food, good wine/booze, and a cool amenities kit + decent blankets/pillows.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2018 at 12:19 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
I might add that I have had some good flights on angle-flat seats, and tend to sleep on my back on airlines anyway, so its not so much an issue. Frankly, having to climb over someone (or be climbed over) is a bigger issue for me than is a sufficiently sized angle-flat seats.
Sorry to beat the dead horse, but the AF 380 is not only angle flat, but 2-2-2 in J. This aircraft is commonly flown on SFO-CDG and LAX-CDG, and that's one of the reasons I decided not to chase DL status this year. The ST international options from SFO can't compare to what *A offers.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Any reports of experiences on Premium Plus with United?
Would like to know this also: are there ANY reports on seat (and cabin) comfort?
Amazing that there isn't a single report on here. The only thing I have seen is that someone offered to "go back" from business to take a look.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Would like to know this also: are there ANY reports on seat (and cabin) comfort?
Amazing that there isn't a single report on here. The only thing I have seen is that someone offered to "go back" from business to take a look.
AA and DL have the exact same seat. The only difference is footrests and seat covers. You can check the reviews for those A/C. Since the seat is basically industry standard (at least for the US3) it is not getting a lot of attention. The only "new" thing I'm heard of in PE seats is on the SQ A350ulr, which has the seatpan come slightly up in the front, creating a little bit of a cradle.

The big difference is the pitch that you get and the seat width, which is A/C and Airline specific.

and p.s. we don't know what the soft product will be like.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA and DL have the exact same seat. The only difference is footrests and seat covers. You can check the reviews for those A/C. Since the seat is basically industry standard (at least for the US3) it is not getting a lot of attention. The only "new" thing I'm heard of in PE seats is on the SQ A350ulr, which has the seatpan come slightly up in the front, creating a little bit of a cradle.

The big difference is the pitch that you get and the seat width, which is A/C and Airline specific.

and p.s. we don't know what the soft product will be like.
The leg rest is, in my opinion, the most significant improvement planned with PE. DL seems to have understood, but AA's weird decision to just give a footrest to non-bulkhead seats is disqualifying.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
The Points Guy did a review of the first flight that had PE seating (and he was in it) back in June.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/uni...ium-plus-seat/
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
The Points Guy did a review of the first flight that had PE seating (and he was in it) back in June.
Yeh, but he said " I was happy with my economy meal service" - this is United we are talking about here. Why would anyone listen to anything he said after this?.... either no credibility, or he burned out his taste buds on to much PBR.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Yeh, but he said " I was happy with my economy meal service" - this is United we are talking about here. Why would anyone listen to anything he said after this?.... either no credibility, or he burned out his taste buds on to much PBR.
Hey I actually had a fairly good Hainanese Chicken and Rice ex-SIN last year! ... so UA catering isn't all terrible (or maybe that just speaks to the testament of catering in SIN?) though 16h in E- ... eh.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This stuff is really getting old.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I think the only real question is if UA matches international PE to domestic E+ or Y-. Delta matches it and sells it with a C+ seat on the domestic leg, AA matchs it to a Y- seat. UA will try to offer a little more or less, and as you said basically match price.

But there really needs to be much better disclosure on the third party sites. It is basically fraud for sites to e.g. be listing a trip SFO-DTW-AMS on DL as being "Premium Economy" on both legs, it is NOT. And given that prices DL is listing at times (as if it IS PE) there ought to be some very mad people when they see a bait and switch.

Hopefully UA does a better job of insuring that people know what they are buying or the product will get a bad name. The European Airlines do a much better job of labeling these flights as "Mixed"
While AA will price out PE on a domestic flight as “S”, etc. it does give MCE. So while DL gives the C+ on the domestic leg, AA does give MCE it just doesn’t have a separate fare class. So imo AA is matching DL more or less.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
The leg rest is, in my opinion, the most significant improvement planned with PE. DL seems to have understood, but AA's weird decision to just give a footrest to non-bulkhead seats is disqualifying.
Surprising decision by AA indeed.
Could not determine from the tpg-report thogh, if UAs PE offers leg rests on all PE seats?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Surprising decision by AA indeed.
Could not determine from the tpg-report thogh, if UAs PE offers leg rests on all PE seats?
It appears from the pictures that they went with leg-rests on all seats ^ But I have no first hand knowledge.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

The Points Guy did a review of the first flight...

Thanks for link. That's what I was looking for.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Plat
suprise! Got to test out "Premium Plus"

So to my surprise, my bulkhead window seat last night on a 772 (IAD-CDG) was a new premium economy seat (with a honking big plaque "Premium Plus" above seat 20K) in a 2-4-2 mini-"cabin", without the amenities: purple headrest (side head support adjustable), seat recline ok, nice calf support on the footrest. Both seat and footrest recline were more limited that expected (i.e. I felt like an accordion in a lawn chair, and didn't sleep at all well due to the limited recline), and I'm not even tall. However, lumbar support was noticeably better than regular E+ seats, and the seat was wider. Larger touchscreen and tray table, which are (at least so far) easier to extract than those in E+. The bulkhead at least seemed to have more leg room than regular E+.
Each seat has an LED-lit power outlet and USB outlet (a step up from E+), but in a new (large paperback book-sized) cubby to the L under the back of the armrest. Even the FAs didn't know where the headphone jack was: turns out, it is above the power outlets but (bafflingly) not LED-lit; so you either have to do some serious yoga as I did to stick your head down to plug level, or you have to bend your left arm backwards and find it inside the cubby by feel.
And, of course, the soft product was regular economy E(-) blanket/pillow/food, and an even more undrinkable red than is normal.

On the plus side, trekking back to the lav in E- through all the densified seating made the front mini-cabin seem spacious; and, the flight crew was cheerful and competent.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by jcp3rd; Oct 14, 2018 at 8:07 am Reason: changed 2-3-2 to 2-4-2, with thanks to StuckinITH
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jcp3rd
So to my surprise, my bulkhead window seat last night on a 772 (IAD-CDG) was a new premium economy seat (with a honking big plaque "Premium Plus" above seat 20K) in a 2-3-2 mini-"cabin", without the amenities: purple headrest (side head support adjustable), seat recline ok, nice calf support on the footrest. Both seat and footrest recline were more limited that expected (i.e. I felt like an accordion in a lawn chair, and didn't sleep at all well due to the limited recline), and I'm not even tall. However, lumbar support was noticeably better than regular E+ seats, and the seat was wider. Larger touchscreen and tray table, which are (at least so far) easier to extract than those in E+. The bulkhead at least seemed to have more leg room than regular E+.
Small correction: it's a 2-4-2 mini-cabin.

Question: but did you sleep better than when you are in E+?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.