Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spin88
There are two issues with this. (1) 99% of the public will have no idea what "premium plus" is. Confronted with buying that flight from their home in Florida to see the grandkids and offered "First Class" on DL/AA or "PremiumPlus" on United for the same price, the known name will often win out; (2) then UA would need to map PE flights to domestic F, which I don't think is what they are going to do, my guess is that they copy DL and map PE international flights to domestic E+ (DL does it to C+). If they are called the same name, UA will need to connect to domestic F, which will raise the price point, and make it look noncompetitive with OALs that don't do this.
I am often surprised at how much of a premium Delta is asking for their domestic E+ product which is nothing more than UA E+ plus a drink and a tiny snack that wouldn't fill up a goldfish. I don't know how much they sell outright vs upgrades or buy-ups, but if people really are paying 70% of the gap between cheap coach and discount F, then I would be really surprised, and it means non-status travelers in general really are dumb.

Domestic F has never sold for lower as a byproduct of F monetization, and if UA thinks it can price domestic PP for the same cost as today's F and move F pricing way up when A) neither AA nor DL will do the same, and B) the United domestic F product is already pretty much nothing more than premium economy especially on the narrow body aircraft, then Kirby needs to put down what ever he is smoking and step away from the ashtray.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Hey ---
Any updates on an actual sales roll out date?

Cheers
There are two issues with this. (1) 99% of the public will have no idea what "premium plus" is. Confronted with buying that flight from their home in Florida to see the grandkids and offered "First Class" on DL/AA or "PremiumPlus" on United for the same price, the known name will often win out;
Fair point. Don’t anticipate the average P fare traveler of today doing any real research into the products offered save for amount and times. Moreover if the booking is made through a 3rd party channel (I’m assuming most are now and will be in the future) it then creates another rough edge when, for example, Expedia lists “First Class” in the search box but displays PPlus for UA.

(2) then UA would need to map PE flights to domestic F, which I don't think is what they are going to do, my guess is that they copy DL and map PE international flights to domestic E+ (DL does it to C+). If they are called the same name, UA will need to connect to domestic F, which will raise the price point, and make it look noncompetitive with OALs that don't do this.
Another good point. Approached this from the viewpoint of the overseas carriers and forgot that when it comes to pretty much any change UA rolls out, DL probably did it a few years earlier!

My guess is UA is aiming to position PPlus in the lower ½ of the delta between Y and J (e.g. if Y is $700 and J is $4.5k, PPlus would be ~1.8-2.2k...or about 70/80% of what a current P fare is). Since P fares map to F domestically the logic is there. But as you correctly note, UA would be hard pressed NOT to map the domestic sectors of international PPlus tickets to the PPlus-nee-Domestic First cabin
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by J.Edward
My guess is UA is aiming to position PPlus in the lower ½ of the delta between Y and J (e.g. if Y is $700 and J is $4.5k, PPlus would be ~1.8-2.2k...or about 70/80% of what a current P fare is). Since P fares map to F domestically the logic is there. But as you correctly note, UA would be hard pressed NOT to map the domestic sectors of international PPlus tickets to the PPlus-nee-Domestic First cabin
I don't really think there's all that much guesswork. Pretty much any route UA will be flying their PE product is already served by another carrier with PE since they are so late to the market. I would be very surprised if UA did not offer a price point that is competitive with the existing market. PE fares on JV partners don't currently map to domestic F; so I would actually be quite surprised if they did on UA.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how the fares will map on JV feeder routes. When I fly LH PE across an ocean and then take an EU flight, the EU flight always maps to a Y fare. If I now fly UA PE and connect to a LH EU flight, will it still map to Y?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't see why not. The only real benefits of the Y code are 150% PQM and last-seat availability.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by findark
I don't really think there's all that much guesswork. Pretty much any route UA will be flying their PE product is already served by another carrier with PE since they are so late to the market. I would be very surprised if UA did not offer a price point that is competitive with the existing market. PE fares on JV partners don't currently map to domestic F; so I would actually be quite surprised if they did on UA.
I think the only real question is if UA matches international PE to domestic E+ or Y-. Delta matches it and sells it with a C+ seat on the domestic leg, AA matchs it to a Y- seat. UA will try to offer a little more or less, and as you said basically match price.

But there really needs to be much better disclosure on the third party sites. It is basically fraud for sites to e.g. be listing a trip SFO-DTW-AMS on DL as being "Premium Economy" on both legs, it is NOT. And given that prices DL is listing at times (as if it IS PE) there ought to be some very mad people when they see a bait and switch.

Hopefully UA does a better job of insuring that people know what they are buying or the product will get a bad name. The European Airlines do a much better job of labeling these flights as "Mixed"
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the only real question is if UA matches international PE to domestic E+ or Y-.
While UA could certainly figure out a way to comp E+ for P+ passengers, the fact that E+ is not a separate cabin class means that it's far more likely that they'll go with E-.
findark likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Any reports of experiences on Premium Plus with United? I may be in the wrong thread. I have a flight in November waiting on the upgrade:SFO-LHR but just as happy to experience the new hard product.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Any reports of experiences on Premium Plus with United? I may be in the wrong thread. I have a flight in November waiting on the upgrade:SFO-LHR but just as happy to experience the new hard product.
The seats are out there, on a few UA 772s (one? two? at this point) and on a LOT of AA planes, and somewhat less DL planes. What "soft product" comes with PE on UA is unknown, since UA has not launched any yet. At this point it is just a cool upgraded seat from someone who snags the seats on the few planes that have them.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The seats are out there, on a few UA 772s (one? two? at this point)
8 are in the wild (6 77E, 2 77W). All 77Es coming out of Polaris mod in XMN will have P+ and 77W are now going in for P+ mods at SFO in conjunction with a regular maintenance check. Somewhat interesting as Delta had about a 14 month head start on United for its PE product, yet only has it on 12 airplanes. Granted, Delta is actually selling the product, since the A350s are currently dedicated to certain markets, but no doubt that United is bringing the product to market comparatively quickly.

As far as service, P+ provisioned exactly the same as E+, with the exception of some reports of Polaris-style headphones.

Last edited by EWR764; Oct 9, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
8 are in the wild (6 77E, 2 77W). All 77Es coming out of Polaris mod in XMN will have P+ and 77W are now going in for P+ mods at SFO in conjunction with a regular maintenance check. Somewhat interesting as Delta had about a 14 month head start on United for its PE product, yet only has it on 12 airplanes. Granted, Delta is actually selling the product, since the A350s are currently dedicated to certain markets, but no doubt that United is bringing the product to market comparatively quickly.

As far as service, P+ provisioned exactly the same as E+, with the exception of some reports of Polaris-style headphones.
So inflight meals and amenities are no better than standard coach? Then what is the value proposition of United's Premium Economy - a Big Seat (a la Spirit?)

Certainly any savvy traveler would know to book away to a foreign airline that offers a proper Premium Economy product like CX, SQ, LH, heck even DL and AA with upgraded catering and services, etc. So Kirby's value proposition for the United product is "fly us instead of those better airlines and get the PQD you so desperately need to maintain your status, suckers!"

Yes, just as I thought 😡
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
... As far as service, P+ provisioned exactly the same as E+, with the exception of some reports of Polaris-style headphones.
Is this just now or the long term plan once UA starts selling as a separate fare class??

I believe in the announcement UA stated
Later this year, we’ll begin to introduce United’s Premium Plus. Available on select international flights, United® Premium Plus will give you more space, comfort and amenities. The seats will be more spacious and you’ll enjoy upgraded dining on china dinnerware, free alcoholic beverages, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow, an amenity kit and more.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So inflight meals and amenities are no better than standard coach? Then what is the value proposition of United's Premium Economy - a Big Seat (a la Spirit?)

Certainly any savvy traveler would know to book away to a foreign airline that offers a proper Premium Economy product like CX, SQ, LH, heck even DL and AA with upgraded catering and services, etc. So Kirby's value proposition for the United product is "fly us instead of those better airlines and get the PQD you so desperately need to maintain your status, suckers!"

Yes, just as I thought 😡
United is not selling P+ yet so the amenities are equal to what customers a buying: E+.

Once the product is selling, the amenities will change.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
United is not selling P+ yet so the amenities are equal to what customers a buying: E+.
And for now, elites can choose the seats for free. Sounds like a more than fair trade to me
coolbeans202 and EWR764 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
Once the product is selling, the amenities will change.
And 6 months after initial rollout, the new P+ amenities will be cut back, if recent history is any indication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.