Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by salisboss
Do they randomly take this tactic? When I fly to TPA I almost always get upgraded right at T-24.
It's highly variable when CPUs are processed. Sometimes it depends on inventory, sometimes the queue jams, and sometimes UA just doesn't process them.
salisboss likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they randomly take this tactic? When I fly to TPA I almost always get upgraded right at T-24.
It is more or less random, but I should also point out that being first on the list at T-24 is by no means a guarantee that you'd be anywhere near the top of the list if they were to run the upgrade list. Only passengers who have checked in are shown. In theory, there could be 30 1Ks on the list who haven't checked in yet, and that's why they haven't run any upgrades.

In practice, on EWR-BQN there probably aren't, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Question

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Previously posted suggestions:

Clear cookies, use in private browser, try different browser, restart computer, use different device.
I have thought of all that. Done. 2 different computers. Did not give any result.
Computers are 100% clean.
I will contact United and see what the bug is about.
Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
It is more or less random, but I should also point out that being first on the list at T-24 is by no means a guarantee that you'd be anywhere near the top of the list if they were to run the upgrade list. Only passengers who have checked in are shown. In theory, there could be 30 1Ks on the list who haven't checked in yet, and that's why they haven't run any upgrades.

In practice, on EWR-BQN there probably aren't, but it's something to keep in mind.
Aware that people could jump me. I am just surprised that even with over half the front cabin open they don't process anything.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aware that people could jump me. I am just surprised that even with over half the front cabin open they don't process anything.
I have had a flight or two go to T-24 with something like 7/24 and no apparent CPU for anyone. Others here have reported even more stingy inventory management, like 2/12 and no CPU until after T-24. Seems to be a new practice from spring or summer this year.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm sure the answer is out there but I can't find it with searching so will try here next. I'm looking for upgradable flights from the US to Europe where I'll have to fly DEN->Some other hub->European destination. I can find what is now PZ (previously R) space from the other hub to the European destination. When I add in my domestic connection from DEN to the other hub, PZ goes to zero. In the past, I understood that I could get the upgrade on the overwater segment and waitlist for the domestic flight. Is this still the case even though the web site shows it as a married segment and zero? Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bmr12
I'm sure the answer is out there but I can't find it with searching so will try here next. I'm looking for upgradable flights from the US to Europe where I'll have to fly DEN->Some other hub->European destination. I can find what is now PZ (previously R) space from the other hub to the European destination. When I add in my domestic connection from DEN to the other hub, PZ goes to zero. In the past, I understood that I could get the upgrade on the overwater segment and waitlist for the domestic flight. Is this still the case even though the web site shows it as a married segment and zero? Thanks.
Yes, nothing has changed in this regard. The overwater segment should clear and then the domestic segment will waitlist.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If not a direct flight -- same flight numbers for both flights and booked as DEN-Europe, then segments clear independently. You would clear (if PZ>0) the TATL and be waitlisted for the domestic segment.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the past, I understood that I could get the upgrade on the overwater segment and waitlist for the domestic flight. Is this still the case even though the web site shows it as a married segment and zero? Thanks.
Not a married segment; the inventory display for multi-segment itineraries defaults to lowest common denominator.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Looking at IAH - AMS none stop RT United metal. LH is selling it for half the price of United. If I buy them from LH, will I be able to reserve economy plus seats and check bags for free? I am gold, will be platinum soon. Thanks for the answers.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Looking at IAH - AMS none stop RT United metal. LH is selling it for half the price of United. If I buy them from LH, will I be able to reserve economy plus seats and check bags for free? I am gold, will be platinum soon. ....
If UA operated flight, you get your UA elite benefits regardless of who you purchase from or what flight coding.

For the bags, if you check bags at a UA counter -- which you would if your first flight is UA operated -- you will get UA elite bag allowance.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
thanks. That's good to know.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, nothing has changed in this regard. The overwater segment should clear and then the domestic segment will waitlist.
And most likely not clear, at least IME.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Lounge access - *A at TBIT

Greetings all-

I am flying MEL-LAX in Polaris and LAX-IAH in economy in under 2 months. I have a 4 hour layover at LAX.

As a United Club member (Star Alliance Silver - will be Gold once the flight culminates), am I granted access to the Star Alliance Lounge in TBIT? I read a few places that United Club is granted access, which seems crazy to me.

I would much prefer to hang out there than the United Club in Terminal 7.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance 1K
Angry R class inventory no longer view-able in expert mode?

I tried to look at confirmable upgrade inventory this week while trying to book a flight and noticed that R class no longer shows up in details.
Has anyone else had the same issue?
Did UA take away the ability to view R inventory in expert mode?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.