Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cheaptom
But now it seems the 6:30 flight was cancelled, and they have us on a 9:30 flight instead, leaving only 80 minutes for international connection
I would just leave it. 80 minutes is more than ample at ZRH. That connection takes 15-20 minutes moving at normal speed. Terminals at ZRH are quite compact, and you'll take a train (the "Heidi train") from your arrival terminal to Terminal E where LAX departs.

The biggest challenge of this itinerary is dealing with the chaos at FCO.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Don't really know the best thread for this, so I figure I'll start here.

Got a trip to Asia in early 2019. Booked a one way on KE via Chase UR. I figure I take that opportunity to start booking Asia-USA (SFO) business class tickets as they are cheaper that way. I know Colombo has cheaper airfare but I prefer to book on 016 to get PQD and most flights are pricing full fare from CMB to the connecting city on .bomb. What is the general consensus on getting the cheapest business class from Asia to USA (SFO)? Doing some quick searching, KUL seems decent at around ~3500. Any other ideas?

As a side note you can fly CMB to SFO RT on EK in First for 5500, which seems pretty cool. However, I'd like to keep the price lower if I can.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
One-way > 1/2 roundtrip on cash.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
KUL seems decent at around ~3500. Any other ideas?

As a side note you can fly CMB to SFO RT on EK in First for 5500, which seems pretty cool. However, I'd like to keep the price lower if I can.
There's a $2732 RT SGN-SFO. But the NH segment is on the Air Japan 767.

BKK is also around $3500.

You can also buy a OW refundable W HKG-SFO for around $1k.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's a $2732 RT SGN-SFO. But the NH segment is on the Air Japan 767.

BKK is also around $3500.

You can also buy a OW refundable W HKG-SFO for around $1k.
Seems BKK and KUL have those ~3500, and they show on .bomb so I can get PQD. Will also check SGN. Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:09 pm

Mostly a SW flyer who is switching to UA for the next several years. Recently applied and was approved for the UA Explorer card. Have a trip next week on United that I booked using my Chase SW card. If the card shows up before the trip, is it possible to call and switch the transaction to the Explorer card? Hoping to get the free checked bag benefit.
Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by runnigel
Mostly a SW flyer who is switching to UA for the next several years. Recently applied and was approved for the UA Explorer card. Have a trip next week on United that I booked using my Chase SW card. If the card shows up before the trip, is it possible to call and switch the transaction to the Explorer card? Hoping to get the free checked bag benefit. ...
Generally once the charge has posted, vendors are reluctant to cancel the previous transaction and then reprocess a new transaction -- they pay a fee for each activity. You can try, but don't be surprised if told no. But it could happen.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by runnigel
Mostly a SW flyer who is switching to UA for the next several years. Recently applied and was approved for the UA Explorer card. Have a trip next week on United that I booked using my Chase SW card. If the card shows up before the trip, is it possible to call and switch the transaction to the Explorer card? Hoping to get the free checked bag benefit.
Thanks
For all intents and purposes, no. Make that NO without reissuing the ticket @:-) Perhaps better asked in Chase forum, but the answer will still be no. And since transaction has alrady been posted, quite frankly I don't see how UA would be aware and give you free luggage even if you were successful.

My strategy would be to show your shining new UA branded CC along with a letter that you got when you were approved (to show the date) and throw yourself at the mercy of folks who check your luggage.

Actually, my strategy is not to check bags, but that's another post or thread
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

The biggest challenge of this itinerary is dealing with the chaos at FCO.
Agreed!! My main concern is the madhouse of FCO causing a departure delay, rather than any ZRH complications. I've never had an on-time departure at FCO, but then again, I've never flown LZ.

Thank you all for the help. I'm leaning toward just keeping the 80-min connection and hoping...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:30 am

Planning to fly from DC to Vancouver in October (probably doing direct from IAD to SEA) with our son (he'll be 1 then).

Better to book via my CSR for 3x pts + Travel Insurance (in case something comes up) or book via my Chase United Mileage Plus for the free checked bags?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by the5nowman
Planning to fly from DC to Vancouver in October (probably doing direct from IAD to SEA) with our son (he'll be 1 then).

Better to book via my CSR for 3x pts + Travel Insurance (in case something comes up) or book via my Chase United Mileage Plus for the free checked bags?
This seems like a question that only you can answer? How many bags do you plan on checking? Since you're traveling with a one year old, you'll get priority boarding, so overhead bin space shouldn't be an issue.

How much are you spending on your travel? Each checked bag is $25 per person, in each direction. So if you are checking two bags, your United Explorer card will save you $100.

My advice would be to not check any bags and use your CSR.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
This seems like a question that only you can answer? How many bags do you plan on checking? Since you're traveling with a one year old, you'll get priority boarding, so overhead bin space shouldn't be an issue.

How much are you spending on your travel? Each checked bag is $25 per person, in each direction. So if you are checking two bags, your United Explorer card will save you $100.

My advice would be to not check any bags and use your CSR.
Fair point. I know my wife will pack a bit more than me, so I guess even if we're paying for 1 checked bag each way, it'd still be nicer to pick up the extra UR points + travel insurance.

We'll be visiting family/friends for 8-9 days, so it's not a quick trip. Thanks for the priority boarding with kid thing. It'll be his first flight. Really never paid attention to family boarding/order before he was born...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:34 pm

Thank you EmailKid and WineCountryUA
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:12 pm

Nevermind

Last edited by MCHF; Jun 9, 2018 at 8:05 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCHF
Are award booking fees and taxes not refunded when a ticket is changed/cancelled?

More than 24 hours after booking a round trip award ticket with paid E+ upgrade I changed the entire return flight, returned from a different country. United is only refunding the E+ cost but none of the fees and taxes on the original round trip itinerary. New return ticket was is a paid E+ but United charged me the full E+ price + fees and taxes, it wasn't like United applied the original fees and taxes to the new flight. Thank you
Award booking fees are not refunded. Any difference in taxes should be refunded automatically, along with the E+ charge. If that doesn't happen, file for a refund request with United. I would not do that until after you travel, lest someone attempt to refund the entire ticket.

Also, if there are any partner flights on the itinerary, I would check them carefully, and I'd call the operating carrier unless I were 100% sure that they had the updated ticket number. UA's systems are notorious for failing to transmit this information successfully, leading to problems down the line as the partner believes you've cancelled the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.