Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Thank you! One more simple-ish question if you or someone else would indulge me: is there a full fare economy class fare on a TATL ticket that can be upgraded to business for 20000 miles? I have the impression that this is only good for standby.
Any economy fare can be upgraded to business. A North America to Europe upgrade award is 15K miles each way for Y class and 20K miles each way for all other classes of service. For fares below B, there's a co-pay required; from $300 on M, E, and U to $550 on W and below.

Upgrades will clear immediately if there is space available in the upgrade bucket. That bucket was R, but as of today R is being removed and replaced with the new PZ bucket. There is not currently any way to see if there is inventory in the PZ bucket. (Give it a day or two to see how things shake out).

If your upgrade request cannot be cleared immediately, you'll be placed on a waitlist and might clear anytime from right away until just prior to departure. The list will be ordered by status and then by fare class. It is entirely common for even high-status passengers to fail to have an upgrade clear, especially when traveling at popular times.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fumje
Your question seems to be already answered, but may I ask, what is an anniversary pass? Does yours label itself specific to JFK?
I'm assuming "credit card anniversary".
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm assuming "credit card anniversary".
Ah, duh. I was thinking along the lines of MP anniversary, but I couldn't imagine such a thing.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Noob/Idiot question. Can you have 2 explorer cards to 1 MP account? Cards issued to different people in the same family obviously.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gregoryad
Noob/Idiot question. Can you have 2 explorer cards to 1 MP account? Cards issued to different people in the same family obviously.
Then, I think it would really be 1 explorer card per MP account. The expenditure of you family member would accrue to their MP account. On UA, they do not have a joined MP account for family members like on BA. On BA, you have your account, your family member his/her account and then both accounts are pooled into one.

But I think that you can have 2 explorer cards on your name (for example if you use one for personal and one for Business) to differentiate the expenses. But you don't get twice the signing bonus.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 21, 2018 at 5:32 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked two itineraries using the United.com website last night.

First, a revenue ticket (PHX-LAX-IAH-SJU & SJU-EWR-MSY)
Then 9 minutes later an award ticket (MSY-IAH-PHX)

I received the usual "processing" emails for both bookings almost immediately, and the "receipt and confirmation" email for the award ticket within minutes. I still have not received an email indicating confirmation of the revenue ticket. I can see the receipt on the website, and there is an 016 ticket number, but no email. Also, on the "Manage Reservations" page, both reservations bear the "This reservation has been ticketed and confirmed" text. I've been waiting on the confirmation email before making hotal reervations in San Juan (I'm staying with friends in New Orleans).

My questions:
Is the lack of a confirmation email on the first reservation likely nothing more than a "glitch"?
If so, is it something I worry about?
Am I being overly paranoid about this?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you have a ticket number for both, you should be set. You can email the receipt for the missing one by requesting it online.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kale73
I booked two itineraries using the United.com website last night.

First, a revenue ticket (PHX-LAX-IAH-SJU & SJU-EWR-MSY)
Then 9 minutes later an award ticket (MSY-IAH-PHX)

I received the usual "processing" emails for both bookings almost immediately, and the "receipt and confirmation" email for the award ticket within minutes. I still have not received an email indicating confirmation of the revenue ticket. I can see the receipt on the website, and there is an 016 ticket number, but no email. Also, on the "Manage Reservations" page, both reservations bear the "This reservation has been ticketed and confirmed" text. I've been waiting on the confirmation email before making hotal reervations in San Juan (I'm staying with friends in New Orleans).

My questions:
Is the lack of a confirmation email on the first reservation likely nothing more than a "glitch"?
If so, is it something I worry about?
Am I being overly paranoid about this?
From time to time, the UA web site has that glitch and does not send the confirmation e-mail in a timely fashion. When that happens, I do like you. I enter in my reservation, see that the reservation is ticketed and confirmed, then send myself a copy of the receipt. I never had a problem when I did this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:12 pm

Just hit gold. Dumbest question ever. Why does my digital Mileageplus card in the app say valid through 1/2019. Shouldn’t it be valid through 1/20? Or does it refresh in January to say that?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Lefleur
Just hit gold. Dumbest question ever. Why does my digital Mileageplus card in the app say valid through 1/2019. Shouldn’t it be valid through 1/20? Or does it refresh in January to say that?
Yes.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Angry

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
From time to time, the UA web site has that glitch and does not send the confirmation e-mail in a timely fashion. When that happens, I do like you. I enter in my reservation, see that the reservation is ticketed and confirmed, then send myself a copy of the receipt. I never had a problem when I did this.
I can't log in to my MIleage Plus account.

I made a number of attempts. I thought I was putting in the wrong password so I requested a password change. The same thing is happening with the new password. I am running out of patience.

I keep getting the following error message:

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

I need to access my account.

How can I log in? This is an eons of years old account. I joined MP when they started the program.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I am getting tired of United discrepancies. The old United was so much better.
The new UA keeps getting worse by the day.

Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Previously posted suggestions:

Clear cookies, use in private browser, try different browser, restart computer, use different device.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
I am #1 on the upgrade list for two flights today and very early tomorrow morning (inside T-24). I am silver and both flights have tons of first class space on a leisure route (EWR-BQN). Why don't they process the upgrades?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by salisboss
Why don't they process the upgrades?
So they can sell them out from under you
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
So they can sell them out from under you
Do they randomly take this tactic? When I fly to TPA I almost always get upgraded right at T-24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.