Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Finally as a Million-Miler I am earning status for two...
Having just spent about $800 for Plat over Gold, I'm a bit depressed reading this thread (in my mind Plat was still just shy of 1K, which I believe it was at one time). Do both members get the RPUs, at least?

I pretty routinely top the list of those who didn't upgrade, so Plat could actually be a nice benefit over the course of 2018 (not that I'm gaga over UA domestic F). But having read through all of this now, I confess to a bit of buyer's remorse...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Having just spent about $800 for Plat over Gold, I'm a bit depressed reading this thread (in my mind Plat was still just shy of 1K, which I believe it was at one time). Do both members get the RPUs, at least? .....
MM companions do not get RPUs or GPUs unless they earn them on their own.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
MM companions do not get RPUs or GPUs unless they earn them on their own.
Well I reckon the United Continental Holdings shareholders got over on this one! Here's to hoping for a better CPU experience in 2018...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

(in my mind Plat was still just shy of 1K, which I believe it was at one time).
Ya, a devaluation or two (maybe three) ago

I pretty routinely top the list of those who didn't upgrade, so Plat could actually be a nice benefit over the course of 2018 (not that I'm gaga over UA domestic F). But having read through all of this now, I confess to a bit of buyer's remorse...
A couole or so years ago, I spent a year Plat. That got me to #1 on u/g list very often on non hub routes, but only actually sat up front half of those times. Cut back to Gold and rarely upgrade now - if this month's travel with ANA posts correctly should find out if I fare better as 1K again next year.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having just spent about $800 for Plat over Gold, I'm a bit depressed reading this thread (in my mind Plat was still just shy of 1K, which I believe it was at one time). Do both members get the RPUs, at least?

The value of Platinum differs from person to person. My upgrade rate at Platinum was reasonable for the current landscape (around 40%, IIRC). 15 years ago, as a CO Platinum, my upgrade rate was close to 100%. Times change, and the fact that there are two tiers above Platinum (counting GS) doesn't help.

Having said that, there's no need for buyer's remorse; it's a sunk cost now. If you were routinely #1 on the list as a Gold, there's a decent chance that your upgrade frequency will go up enough to make up for $800 in buy-ups over the next year. Status is a relative thing; Platinum in COS flying off-peak might be a more valuable level than 1K in SFO flying M-Th (for CPUs, I'm not really kidding).

Go out, evaluate your experience, and if you're faced with a similar decision next December, you'll have personalized data to help make it.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder

Your remorse will diminish the first time you take a crowded flight and BG2 passengers have to place their carry-ons away from their seats. This will be doubly true when making a tight connection. Further, your companion will most likely express appreciation for being in BG1.
I did an analysis several years ago and determined that my satisfaction at being Platinum over Gold was worth up to $1000 for the years I expect a busy travel schedule (more than 1 trip per month). Flying out of EWR and annually traveling to HNL does add value over COS when valuing this status and I have gotten much more than that $1000 in actual value.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
The value of Platinum differs from person to person. My upgrade rate at Platinum was reasonable for the current landscape (around 40%, IIRC). 15 years ago, as a CO Platinum, my upgrade rate was close to 100%. Times change, and the fact that there are two tiers above Platinum (counting GS) doesn't help.

Having said that, there's no need for buyer's remorse; it's a sunk cost now. If you were routinely #1 on the list as a Gold, there's a decent chance that your upgrade frequency will go up enough to make up for $800 in buy-ups over the next year. Status is a relative thing; Platinum in COS flying off-peak might be a more valuable level than 1K in SFO flying M-Th (for CPUs, I'm not really kidding).

Go out, evaluate your experience, and if you're faced with a similar decision next December, you'll have personalized data to help make it.
Absolutely agree, used to be a CO Platinum 15 years ago and near 100% CPU. Now it's much less of course, but personally there's still good value. I do a lot of personal coast to coast travel on Saturdays, returning Tues and still get upgraded most of the time on Sat (LAX-ORD-BTV).

Was able to use my two RPU's on LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR p.s. routes and it was a great experience.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold/50k, Air Canada Aéroplan
Reading these last few posts, am thinking of doing the mileage run, which would be a first for me. Am just missing 600 miles for 75k, out of SFO. Monday would be perfect.
My wife will think I am nuts, but I tend to agree that BG1 and a better shot at upgrades would be worth it (for me at least). Also the extra flexibility with cancellations and changes.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:24 am

I am 5,000 PQM short of Gold, but have the PQD. I am a 5 year Platinum and this year just haven't had to fly. Sad that Platinum is nowhere in sight, I think BG1 is the best perk along with the 8 E+ seats, rarely get upgrades out of EWR.

Any suggestions on a cheap mileage run for 5000 PQM, or should I just suck it up and buy the premier accelerator miles...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:27 am

Thanks very much for the encouraging words, all! Agreed - it's a sunk cost at this point. On the bright side, the offers I'm seeing for my final flights of the year are back up in the range of 1.5 - 2 times what I paid, so at least I have that satisfaction.

Yesterday flying ex-BOG, BG1 would've been nice (just because of the uncomfortable GB3+ crowding of the gate upon boarding BG1). Except I'm generally an exit row flier, and I keep my backpack underneath the seat in front of me, so it's not going to be a huge benefit.

(On the humorous side, my wife is very competitive, and can't wait for her new Plat luggage tags )
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
I am 5,000 PQM short of Gold, but have the PQD. I am a 5 year Platinum and this year just haven't had to fly. Sad that Platinum is nowhere in sight, I think BG1 is the best perk along with the 8 E+ seats, rarely get upgrades out of EWR.

Any suggestions on a cheap mileage run for 5000 PQM, or should I just suck it up and buy the premier accelerator miles?

Accelerator Miles seem to have jumped up in price. Maybe you can find a good P fare.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2017 at 11:21 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Accelerator Miles seem to have jumped up in price. Maybe you can find a good P fare.
The other day I got 14 cpm (for 6k miles) on an E fare. Not awesome, not horrendous.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2017 at 11:22 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
I am 3,300 PQMs short of Platinum... Have an offer for 4,000 award miles and 4,000 PQMs for $540. Ends up being $0.135/PQM. I will be traveling significantly more next year than this year out of DEN with travel all over the US... Hubs and small airports. Thoughts?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mindrisa
I am 3,300 PQMs short of Platinum... Have an offer for 4,000 award miles and 4,000 PQMs for $540. Ends up being $0.135/PQM. I will be traveling significantly more next year than this year out of DEN with travel all over the US... Hubs and small airports. Thoughts?
There's plenty of pros/cons dialog to be found here, so I won't attempt to add to that. But I will say don't hold out for a better deal, if that's what you're thinking - I'd have loved to have gotten away with only spending $540!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
There's plenty of pros/cons dialog to be found here, so I won't attempt to add to that. But I will say don't hold out for a better deal, if that's what you're thinking - I'd have loved to have gotten away with only spending $540!
That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks! The only other option I could find was a full day mileage run starting at 6:00am and ending at 9:30pm and would have cost about $100 more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.