Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Wow...you have put a lot of food for thought into my mind now...

The Economy plus for 8...that does help as per my name my fam is quite large and would love to bump them up into E+

The upgrades...I live in the midwest so i do get the upgrades maybe 40-50% of the time...not sure if going plat helps that much.

And here I was about to book a 3 day run to Changi...hmm...
:-) I didn’t notice the name. If E+ access for your family is worth the $400, then go for it. That’s an entirely reasonable point of view. ^ But that’s going to be a painful trip...

The key is looking to see where you are on the upgrade list when you’re not upgraded. If you’re normally fifteenth on the list, going to Platinum might make you tenth, and still in economy. If you’re normally first, going to Platinum might get you the upgrade.

I did find that my upgrade rate was better at Platinum than at Gold, but not much better.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
I did find that my upgrade rate was better at Platinum than at Gold, but not much better.
I only spent a couple months as a Plat, but it came after a year of being Gold. I found my UG rate improved immensely on offpeak-timed stuff: ex., while IAD-SFO is empty in F on a Sunday morning, it is almost impossible as a Gold and very manageable as Plat.

Obviously, if you fly SFO-IAD on a Thursday night, you will jump from 40th to 30th on the list but that's a meaningless improvement.

So the real question is: how many relatively elite-light/quiet-in-F routes do you fly? If more than a few, I'd say the enhanced CPU odds are quite meaningful.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:36 pm

I am a long-time United Platinum, but this year I just don't have the miles. I am stretching for Gold frankly. But the real reason I want it is for the E+ seats at booking instead of check-in. That is huge for me and my family. But I just noticed that the companion thing for Gold is 1 (whereas it was 8 for Platinum, which is a ridiculous number). If I travel with my wife and 2 year old daughter, does that mean I can't select E+ seats for the 3 of us? I will have to purchase one additional???
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
I am a long-time United Platinum, but this year I just don't have the miles. I am stretching for Gold frankly. But the real reason I want it is for the E+ seats at booking instead of check-in. That is huge for me and my family. But I just noticed that the companion thing for Gold is 1 (whereas it was 8 for Platinum, which is a ridiculous number). If I travel with my wife and 2 year old daughter, does that mean I can't select E+ seats for the 3 of us? I will have to purchase one additional???
That's correct. IMO the extra companions is the only tangible benefit of Plat left. It's very nice if you have the extra companions, and worthless otherwise.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If I travel with my wife and 2 year old daughter, does that mean I can't select E+ seats for the 3 of us? I will have to purchase one additional???
You can select E+ at time of booking but you pay the fee for any beyond 2. Honestly not so much $$ unless you take a lot of trips ... but starts to add up as the family grows larger. Pretty easy to calculate how much this is worth based on your expected travel. The harder items to value are Group 1 boarding & the fee waivers.

Originally Posted by findark
That's correct. IMO the extra companions is the only tangible benefit of Plat left. It's very nice if you have the extras ra companions, and worthless otherwise.
It's a very valuable benefit but I would not go that far. The RPUs definitely have some value (I'd peg @$100-200 depending on the flight) and so do the bonus miles.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
IMO the extra companions is the only tangible benefit of Plat left. It's very nice if you have the extra companions, and worthless otherwise.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It's a very valuable benefit but I would not go that far. The RPUs definitely have some value (I'd peg @$100-200 depending on the flight) and so do the bonus miles.
And Group 1. Don't forget Group 1 boarding.

If you're goal oriented, the thing about Plat is, only 25,000 more for 1K.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
And Group 1. Don't forget Group 1 boarding.

If you're goal oriented, the thing about Plat is, only 25,000 more for 1K.
Not necessarily. It's 25K PQMs + some number of PQDs. People who make Platinum based upon the CC spending waiver may face a gigantic PQD roadblock.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Not necessarily. It's 25K PQMs + some number of PQDs. People who make Platinum based upon the CC spending waiver may face a gigantic PQD roadblock.
Me, pretty much every year.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Yes you are correct - that is crazy right! Also, 8 i never noticed that. 8 is a really strange and large number!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Yes you are correct - that is crazy right! Also, 8 i never noticed that. 8 is a really strange and large number!
Not for me! That's the exact number in my fam
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
It's not really "strange." 8 companions = 9 people on the PNR. 9 is the largest number of people that can be accommodated on a single PNR through normal sales channels. If you are coordinating travel for more than 9 people, you have to use multiple PNRs or contact Group Sales.

So, it's not really "8 companions" as much as it is "everybody, excluding group sales."
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold
*A mileage run - should I reach for GOLD or PLAT?

Hi All,

I just wanted to get some advice from the experts here. Hope this is the right place to post this - I'm a Platinum member from the previous year and I haven't flown as much in the past year.

I'm currently at 46,638PQM and have a trip coming up that will get me 1846PQM. I'm not sure if I should try and do a mileage run to try and hit Platinum or just do an additional flight to reach GOLD. In my upcoming trip that will get me 1846PQM, I have a mileage purchase offer of an additional $150USD + 500USD to get 6000PQM? Is that worth it?

To give you a background on my travel, I am a YYC based mileage plus member and can generally fly out of any CAN or USA city if a mileage run is required. I make a yearly trip to DEL or BOM in J and some random travel in-between that.

Thanks in advance all!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There’s a thread on the board called “Is it worth it to stretch for Platinum” that might be of interest. In general, my opinion is that there are three tiers worth striving for in the current UA system — Gold, 1K, and GS. I would not consider a mileage run to try to get to Platinum — the extra benefits just aren’t there, in my opinion, especially when you’re a full 25K miles away. In your situation, I would try to schedule the one extra flight necessary to reach Gold, which, assuming you have the time to fly it, should be doable for less than the $650 it’d cost to buy the status.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There’s a thread on the board called “Is it worth it to stretch for Platinum” that might be of interest. .....
As you suggested, have merged the OP's thread in that existing thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Also, there is Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]

Note both threads have wikis that cover the benefits of the higher status levels
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jj12345
Hi All,

I just wanted to get some advice from the experts here. Hope this is the right place to post this - I'm a Platinum member from the previous year and I haven't flown as much in the past year.

I'm currently at 46,638PQM and have a trip coming up that will get me 1846PQM. I'm not sure if I should try and do a mileage run to try and hit Platinum or just do an additional flight to reach GOLD. In my upcoming trip that will get me 1846PQM, I have a mileage purchase offer of an additional $150USD + 500USD to get 6000PQM? Is that worth it?

To give you a background on my travel, I am a YYC based mileage plus member and can generally fly out of any CAN or USA city if a mileage run is required. I make a yearly trip to DEL or BOM in J and some random travel in-between that.

Thanks in advance all!
Just a note that you can try to use SDC to stretch for the extra 1500mi., but if you have only one more trip (and if it's ORD-SFO, as I guess) that is unlikely to be successful. You can also make a booking for a shorter flight to see if you get a mileage purchase offer that is closer to 2000 and therefore cheaper. Then cancel the booking within 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.