Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by jj12345
Hi All,

I just wanted to get some advice from the experts here. Hope this is the right place to post this - I'm a Platinum member from the previous year and I haven't flown as much in the past year.

I'm currently at 46,638PQM and have a trip coming up that will get me 1846PQM. I'm not sure if I should try and do a mileage run to try and hit Platinum or just do an additional flight to reach GOLD. In my upcoming trip that will get me 1846PQM, I have a mileage purchase offer of an additional $150USD + 500USD to get 6000PQM? Is that worth it?

To give you a background on my travel, I am a YYC based mileage plus member and can generally fly out of any CAN or USA city if a mileage run is required. I make a yearly trip to DEL or BOM in J and some random travel in-between that.

Thanks in advance all!
A full 25K is a lot.. the higher priority is relatively hit or miss so it comes down to valuing the 2 RPUs, additional 1x on RDM, and boarding group 1, which only you can decide.
FWIW, although still not great value, 150+500 for 6000 PQM is better than any offer I've ever gotten. The lowest rate I've gotten is 12.5 cents while this would be 10.8 cents.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drew in the air
A full 25K is a lot.. the higher priority is relatively hit or miss so it comes down to valuing the 2 RPUs, additional 1x on RDM, and boarding group 1, which only you can decide.
FWIW, although still not great value, 150+500 for 6000 PQM is better than any offer I've ever gotten. The lowest rate I've gotten is 12.5 cents while this would be 10.8 cents.
Thanks everyone for the advice and moving this thread to the correct spot.

So I looked at booking a SFOLAX and the mileage offer is 64CAD+200CAD for 2000 miles. Is that a good valuation? my other alternative is purchasing a my return on united (SJCYYC) for 319CAD and it gets me the additional miles required.

Originally Posted by jj12345
Thanks everyone for the advice and moving this thread to the correct spot.

So I looked at booking a SFOLAX and the mileage offer is 64CAD+200CAD for 2000 miles. Is that a good valuation? my other alternative is purchasing a my return on united (SJCYYC) for 319CAD and it gets me the additional miles required.
Alright...I found that purchasing business on my YYCSJC flight was cheaper than doing the mileage purchase on that separate ticket. I was able to do the following:

YYCSJC - 458CAD - 3692PQM. This will put my at 50330PQM.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:55 am

Plat is worth it to me for the aforementioned reasons. I'm making a mileage/status run on Dec 13. ORD-PHX-LAX-ORD. Low price but gets the miles I need. Two legs will be in P. I'm really looking forward to this...should be a great day of flying. If you can originate at ORD check it out.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
So it turns out I will be Plat for the first time this year, at 79K PQM. Pretty excited for boarding group 1, since group 2 now days seem to be longer than 3...

Other than the things discussed here in detail, I noted something interesting. Myself and my father were trying to book a business saver award on a transpac UA flight for my mother a month ago.
I looked up the flight first using my Gold account and then sent the information over to my father so he could book it with his Plat account.
To our surprise, instead of the usual 70K one way, his account showed 65K one way. So by being a Plat, he saved 10K miles round trip on business saver award, vs had I booked it being a Gold.

I don't think this was published anywhere...can anyone confirm if they saw this as well?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverickar15
I looked up the flight first using my Gold account and then sent the information over to my father so he could book it with his Plat account.
To our surprise, instead of the usual 70K one way, his account showed 65K one way. So by being a Plat, he saved 10K miles round trip on business saver award, vs had I booked it being a Gold.

I don't think this was published anywhere...can anyone confirm if they saw this as well?
That's definitely not a benefit of Platinum vs. Gold. What was the route? Are you sure the flights were exactly the same?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
That's definitely not a benefit of Platinum vs. Gold. What was the route? Are you sure the flights were exactly the same?
The flight was from DEN to NRT during Thanksgiving. It showed 70K miles one way for me, but when he logged in it only showed 65K.

One catch here is that he actually had booked it first a few months ago for economy saver (35K one way) but when I checked for him again, I found the business saver award availability had opened up.

Thus he was able to change the class of service to business saver with only 30K additional miles (65K total) instead, without any additional fee since the date was the same.
(Oh by the way - I did try to upgrade her flight using the confirmation number with my account and it did show 35K additional miles instead of 30K, although I actually cannot change it since it was first booked using my father's UA account.)
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverickar15
The flight was from DEN to NRT during Thanksgiving. It showed 70K miles one way for me, but when he logged in it only showed 65K.

One catch here is that he actually had booked it first a few months ago for economy saver (35K one way) but when I checked for him again, I found the business saver award availability had opened up.

Thus he was able to change the class of service to business saver with only 30K additional miles (65K total) instead, without any additional fee since the date was the same.
Pre-November 1 devaluation, Saver Business from the US to Japan was 65K each way on United-operated flights. Post-November 1, that flight is 70K. This is true for all status levels. I assume that this change was after November 1? It's possible that he was grandfathered in on the older award chart since he was changing the class of service on an existing flight.

I'm a 1K, and I see 70K for that flight in Business Saver (available Monday through Thursday of next week, it looks like, for anyone with a last-minute desire to visit Japan.

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 8, 2017 at 11:47 am Reason: Added search results
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Pre-November 1 devaluation, Saver Business from the US to Japan was 65K each way on United-operated flights. Post-November 1, that flight is 70K. This is true for all status levels. I assume that this change was after November 1? It's possible that he was grandfathered in on the older award chart since he was changing the class of service on an existing flight.

I'm a 1K, and I see 70K for that flight in Business Saver (available Monday through Thursday of next week, it looks like, for anyone with a last-minute desire to visit Japan.
Ah, you are absolutely right. I forgot about the devaluation... He booked the original flight back in September, and we changed it after November - so UA grandfathered it then.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have been Platinum for 8 of the last 9 years. Out of EWR this has been a very good status level to have and would be worth significant effort.
BG1 is worth a lot out of a hub as I feel comfortable going for the first row (bulkhead) E+ seating on long haul flights knowing I will have OH space nearby.
I have consistently been able to use my RPUs for significant flights such as HNL-EWR (worth in excess of $1500).
The extra miles are modest but nice to get.
I will admit to using P fares where they are cheap so I may have missed out on a CPU or two, but out of a hub I do not count on CPUs happening much anyway.
Finally as a Million-Miler I am earning status for two...
While I would not do a weekend run to TPE or SIN, I would be happy to do an interesting 3 or 4 day trip to someplace exotic, but then my wife is sure to insist on joining me.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
And Group 1. Don't forget Group 1 boarding.

If you're goal oriented, the thing about Plat is, only 25,000 more for 1K.
There is zero practical difference in group one and group two boarding. You are going to get overhead space regardless, and in group two you can walk up after boarding starts, rather than having to wait in line.

Other than a nominal increase in earning (an extra 2 miles/$, which at my spend for Plat this year on DL would be another 40K miles) the real benifits are the 2RPUs and the ability to upgrade 8 to E+. However, as someone who has been about 25K short of 2MM (and therefore lifetime Plat) for the last two years, both of which I have done my year end flying on DL or VX/AS to secure the higher level, there is very little there for me. I already get 4 in E+ (due to SO companion status), and E+ has become worthless to me as UA has gone 3-4-3 on the 777s, which I am simply not going to fly. And the RPUs don't clear IMHE.

PLT really is sort of an orphan status on UA. Not much more in benefits over GOLD (and basically none for a business traveler) and none of the big benifits (6 GPUs) and higher upgrade chance of 1K.

The contrast with Delta (where gold is not as good as gold on UA as C+ is not cleared at time of purchase) PLT on DL is a real jump up in status, with very real benifits (4 RPUs, upgrade to C+ at booking, higher upgrade change).
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
There is zero practical difference in group one and group two boarding. You are going to get overhead space regardless, and in group two you can walk up after boarding starts, rather than having to wait in line.
Strongly disagree with this especially at EWR and LAX. When I was relegated to boarding group 2, I had to arrive early to make sure to get in front of BG2 line otherwise there were many times I arrived at the beginning of boarding in the very back of an extremely long BG2 line and while overhead space is likely available for the very last of BG2, many times I found myself in row say 12 and fighting my way past my crowd to get my bag in row 25+. Now in BG1, I don't have any worries of getting to the gate earlier and that happening as now I can arrive after boarding starts and know I'll be fine in front of all the BG2 people. (even if BG2 already started)
8MiHi and tstauck like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Not much more in benefits over GOLD ....
That's is perhaps a subjective statement
From the wiki
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz
Whether it is would the effort is certainty open to debate. And value will be based of individual circumstances.
Clearly the benefit jump of 1K is bigger. But Pat is eligible for PQD credit card waiver and 1K is not.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Strongly disagree with this especially at EWR and LAX. When I was relegated to boarding group 2, I had to arrive early to make sure to get in front of BG2 line otherwise there were many times I arrived at the beginning of boarding in the very back of an extremely long BG2 line and while overhead space is likely available for the very last of BG2, many times I found myself in row say 12 and fighting my way past my crowd to get my bag in row 25+. Now in BG1, I don't have any worries of getting to the gate earlier and that happening as now I can arrive after boarding starts and know I'll be fine in front of all the BG2 people. (even if BG2 already started)
+1. This also applies to TPAC and TATL flights. Group 1, you can board and put your luggage above your seat. The plane is empty, you can stow your belongings in a relaxed manner. Group 2, if you don't rush to put your things in the overhead space, somebody else will use the space you thought you would use and then you have to go some rows further. The aisles are filled with passengers, you have less space to maneuver with people pushing you to get to their seats. A much less relaxed experience.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...and none of the big benifits (6 GPUs) and higher upgrade chance of 1K...
Free cheeseburger and booze is a huge benefit jump for 1K over Plat (nowadays)....
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You must not fly much from hubs like SFO/IAH/IAD. Group 1 is usually the longest line, sometimes 25% of the plane. Was in G2 last year and would sometimes find the nearest bins full by the time I boarded. And as noted above, I find Group 1 far less rushed as most people know what they are doing except for some of the kettles flying paid F.

TPLT really is sort of an orphan status on UA. Not much more in benefits over GOLD (and basically none for a business traveler) and none of the big benefits (6 GPUs) and higher upgrade chance of 1K.
Disagree, I find the RPUs very useful, more so than GPUs in the sense that I won't pay extra to roll the dice on clearing a GPU for TATL/TPAC whereas RPUs (and GPUs) can be used on the lowest fares for transcons & Mexico.

Now 1K is definitely a bigger step up since UA eliminated some of the fee waivers for PLT and added the free food & bev for 1K flying economy. But IMO the CPUs are mostly an illusory benefit @sfo - I cleared 1 of 4 from SFO in the past 2 weeks and ended up 4th, 16th and 21st on the waitlist.

For now Gold remains the sweet spot in the UA program (assuming you don't qualify for GS).
8MiHi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.