Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by 3ch0
Reading these last few posts, am thinking of doing the mileage run, which would be a first for me. Am just missing 600 miles for 75k, out of SFO. Monday would be perfect.
My wife will think I am nuts, but I tend to agree that BG1 and a better shot at upgrades would be worth it (for me at least). Also the extra flexibility with cancellations and changes.
i fly out of SFO but mostly TATL and some TPAC.

i don't see getting upgrades on any international flights unless you're 1K or GS. Certainly not unpaid upgrades.

so I don't try to qualify for more than Gold. Last couple of years I made sure to attain Gold and did the rest of the flights on awards, either on UA or other programs where I had miles.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold/50k, Air Canada Aéroplan
Originally Posted by wco81

i fly out of SFO but mostly TATL and some TPAC.

i don't see getting upgrades on any international flights unless you're 1K or GS. Certainly not unpaid upgrades.

so I don't try to qualify for more than Gold. Last couple of years I made sure to attain Gold and did the rest of the flights on awards, either on UA or other programs where I had miles.
I hear you.
I mainly fly domestic, all over the US for work, all in Economy. So I see Platinum as helping make flying just that little more bearable, and BG1 is the thing to do it.
Complimentary upgrades on a yearly vacation would be great, but I don't see that happening anyway.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
TPG calculates the values of the different MP elite levels:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-...-status-worth/

Interestingly, Platinum is worth almost twice the value of Gold, at least going by the dollar amounts he attaches to these different levels.

In previous articles, he made it sound like the difference is way closer.

For instance a couple of years ago he did a writeup of Platinum vs. Gold in which he made this conclusion:

All in all, Premier Platinum is probably worth booking an extra $400 flight if you can really use the award booking fee wavier, plan to take a family of 4 or more on a trip and can save on Economy Plus, and want the peace of mind of earlier boarding.
That conclusion seems to somewhat contradict valuing Gold at just under $2600 and Platinum at almost $4600. I know for sure the benefits have not improved since that 2016 blog post either.

EDIT: I made a mistake, the previous conclusion that I quote above is NOT from TPG. It's a different travel blogger. Here is the URL of that article:

https://milecards.com/1588425248/is-...th-it-vs-gold/

Maybe the TPG is too generous in his valuation of Platinum and MilesCards isn't generous enough? The tenure of this thread seems to be that most FTers think the latter is more accurate.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, Platinum is worth almost twice the value of Gold, at least going by the dollar amounts he attaches to these different levels.

In previous articles, he made it sound like the difference is way closer.

For instance a couple of years ago he did a writeup of Platinum vs. Gold in which he made this conclusion:

That conclusion seems to somewhat contradict valuing Gold at just under $2600 and Platinum at almost $4600. I know for sure the benefits have not improved since that 2016 blog post either.

EDIT: I made a mistake, the previous conclusion that I quote above is NOT from TPG. It's a different travel blogger. Here is the URL of that article:

https://milecards.com/1588425248/is-...th-it-vs-gold/

Maybe the TPG is too generous in his valuation of Platinum and MilesCards isn't generous enough? The tenure of this thread seems to be that most FTers think the latter is more accurate.
There are weird numbers in some of the itemized calculations, such as the PQD used in calculating mileage bonuses for each tier (4.5k/9k/13.5k/18k).

It helps highlight what are the incremental benefits of each status, but I think you have to do the calculation for yourself based on what you'll use and how you personally value the benefit.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

From my reading, FT seems to think Plat just ain't worth it. A couple of RPUs that are not worth much if you live in flyover states and a handful of extra RDMs, and with today's redemptions, I do mean a handful. Oh, and Group 1 IIRC.

Gold for me next year, can't keep up the 1K pace and Plat is glorified Gold + 2 RPUs and a handful of miles. OK, and group 1
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
From my reading, FT seems to think Plat just ain't worth it. A couple of RPUs that are not worth much if you live in flyover states and a handful of extra RDMs, and with today's redemptions, I do mean a handful. Oh, and Group 1 IIRC.

Gold for me next year, can't keep up the 1K pace and Plat is glorified Gold + 2 RPUs and a handful of miles. OK, and group 1
Also don't forget the E+ for 1 companion (Gold) vs for 8 (Plat). Can help if you travel often with large families/friends.
Plat was also devalued when UA decided to charge Plat's $50 for making a change or cancelling an award ticket < 60 days prior to departure. This also hurt a lot.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

I'm having a difficult time with the values he assigns to CPUs. Personally, I would give that no more than $25, and probably $0 since I haven't had a CPU in years.
OTOH, he doesn't mention exit row seating for Gold and above, and for that I would probably give value of $100-250.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm having a difficult time with the values he assigns to CPUs. Personally, I would give that no more than $25, and probably $0 since I haven't had a CPU in years.
OTOH, he doesn't mention exit row seating for Gold and above, and for that I would probably give value of $100-250.
Really depends how much flexibility you have with travel and CPU's. In my free time, I go back to visit family a lot, LAX - ORD - BTV (Vermont) typically, so cross country. Fly Sat morning, return Tuesday evening. Last year I was 4 for 4 on the segments one time and 3 for 4 on the other. I also used my two RPU's on EWR-LAX ps dinner service, booking in advance for a Sat and found R fare both times, and got an instant confirmed upgrade both times. Almost 7 hours of seat time in a fully reclining seat. So to me I thought it was definitely worth the stretch.

Sadly I didn't fly nearly as much last year and back down to a Silver
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm having a difficult time with the values he assigns to CPUs.
In general, the TPG elite status valuations are not particularly objective or meaningful. Mostly just made up numbers.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So TPG values Plat perks at $2000 more than Gold - let's critique point by point:

(1) E+ for 8 companions (v. 1) at time of booking = $150. Obviously this depends on the size of your family and # of trips and whether E+ is mandatory for you. For a family of 4, assuming 8 paid segments per year, avg price of $40 per person per segment = 2 x 8 x $30 = $480. So I think PG undervalues this perk for your average family but of course YMMV and single people might value at $0.

(2) CPUs = $1000. Obviously this depends on your home airport and flying patterns, but seeing as I saw 0 CPUs as Gold/Plat flying from SFO/IAD/IAH I would value this at $0. It's like winning the lotto if you fly between hubs during peak hours.

(3) RPUs = $200. As stated earlier, I value RPUs at $150 each (particularly if you can use them on transcons) = $300 so I'm a little more generous than TPG. $200 is probably right if you use for midcons.

(4) Mileage Bonus: 9 miles/$ v. 7/$ for Gold = $375. Assuming annual spend of $9k (min. req'd for Plat) and valuing miles @2 cents 9k x 2 x .02 = $180, TPG apparently assumes much higher spend for Plats, but consider also that Plats with Chase UA card can still qualify even with low spend.

(5) Fee Discount Waivers (Plat has lower award change fees than Gold): $100. I think that's about right, the big benefit comes with 1k where unlimited changes are permitted with no fees.

(6) Waived Baggage Fees (3 free rather than 2): $125. Personally I have never checked >2 bags per person even for ski trips, so I value at $0.

(7) Group 1 boarding: TPG includes this under Priority security, boarding, etc. $125. But the only real difference is Group 1 boarding, which has little intrinsic value beyond claiming overhead space closer to your seat (and at hubs G1 may include 50+ people). The bottom line: how much would you pay to be in Group 1 for a year? I love this perk but I think $100 is generous.

So overall I calculate the incremental value of Plat > Gold at $1160 = TPG calculates at $2000. As shown above I attribute most of the value to E+ seating for family and RPUs so if you don't value these perks then Plat is worth substantially less. Conversely TPG places a high value on CPUs which I find absurd because I rarely see CPUs even as a 1K. But if you find you clear many more CPUs as Plat then the value goes up.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 21, 2018 at 4:42 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
These valuations are so subjective I don't think something like the TPG valuation can ever be accurate for a majority of people, though I think it's still useful as a framework for putting your personal valuation on things. For me :
1) I usually travel solo, so E+ for 8 is a $0 for me
2) I do fly a lot of hub-hub, but I have a reasonable amount of non-hub travel and I'm usually travelling at off-peak times. I agree that $1000 is high, but I would be comfortable saying I get $500 out of CPUS
3) RPUs - I used both my RPUs last year on non-Polaris international flights of about 5 hours. If I could have upgraded for under $200, I would have, so $400 is reasonable here
4) I use the Chase waiver, my PQD tends to be around $5k, so using the valuation above that would be $100 for mileage bonus
5) I don't change award flights that much, but I do sometimes book close in, I'll call this $50
6) I usually don't check baggage at all, but this one did help me out when I was moving this year. Not the 2 bags to 3, but the fact that you get overweight bags up to 75 lbs for free. This wasn't a typical situation for me though, so I'll just call this $25
7) I love Group 1. Being last in Group 1 is better than being first in Group 2, which means I can stay in the lounge an extra 15 minutes and not have to worry about bag space. This probably improves the quality of 3-4 hours out of my year, and I'm happy to call that $80
I'm also gonna give $25 for the drink vouchers in the kit
Add it up and you get $1180, which is surprisingly close to Boraxo's estimate, despite totally different weightings!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Time to close and open Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.