FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:06 am
8MiHi

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Having just spent about $800 for Plat over Gold, I'm a bit depressed reading this thread (in my mind Plat was still just shy of 1K, which I believe it was at one time). Do both members get the RPUs, at least?

I pretty routinely top the list of those who didn't upgrade, so Plat could actually be a nice benefit over the course of 2018 (not that I'm gaga over UA domestic F). But having read through all of this now, I confess to a bit of buyer's remorse...
Your remorse will diminish the first time you take a crowded flight and BG2 passengers have to place their carry-ons away from their seats. This will be doubly true when making a tight connection. Further, your companion will most likely express appreciation for being in BG1.
I did an analysis several years ago and determined that my satisfaction at being Platinum over Gold was worth up to $1000 for the years I expect a busy travel schedule (more than 1 trip per month). Flying out of EWR and annually traveling to HNL does add value over COS when valuing this status and I have gotten much more than that $1000 in actual value.