Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Thanks, United forum Moderators.

Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I will add my vote for absolutely anything out of OAK. I would also love a SJC-DCA route, but I realize there aren't going to be new DCA exception routes popping up anytime soon
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zymm
I will add my vote for absolutely anything out of OAK. I would also love a SJC-DCA route, but I realize there aren't going to be new DCA exception routes popping up anytime soon
+1 for more SJC service
Boraxo and zymm like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Bring me IAD-LUX!
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I’ll say it again….

BKK BKK BKK BKK BKK BKK BKK
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by n198ua
I’ll say it again….

BKK BKK BKK BKK BKK BKK BKK
And I will add one more! BKK!
wxguy and 22H like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And I will add one more! BKK!
I know a little about UA’s history at BKK, but I’m just shocked that wouldn’t be a profitable route. Every single time I fly into BKK the ANA flight is packed, doesn’t matter what time or how far out; always stuck in the middle.
Edit to add I just looked at a RT DSM-BKK in PE for February 15 days and they’re getting close to $3500. It’s got to be a money maker. (Says the armchair airline CEO)
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Not to make this a BKK-only discussion but if Thailand were to be relatively stable politically over the next several years, combined with those new 787-9s being delivered starting next year, I am sure SFO-BKK will get serious consideration a few years. Just look at SFO-MNL granted it took 25 years for it to come back after the economic meltdown in 1998, although part of that was United was unable to get proper takeoff and landing slots for the past several years and finally got them a month ago. Having the 777-300ER was also necessary given its fuel burn, capacity especially for the rear, and cargo hold as compared to the long since retired 747-400s. All indications are it is off to a good start, especially in the rear and in the cargo hold. SFO-BKK is within range of the 777-300ER, even with avoiding Russian airspace, but unlikely to carry much of any cargo given that is pretty much at the limit of the 777-300ERs range.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Of course SE Asia nonstops from the US, of course (not just BKK, though that would be a great (re)start for a UA destination).

Selfishly, anywhere in WV that isn't CRW, and expanded CRW service beyond the meager 2x from ORD. I get that it's not great economically and that the majority of WV O&D traffic is either flying private or LCCs (very little in the middle), but I have family that's a 5+ hour drive from IAD and the only UA service now means a long ORD connection (and end-on-end ticketing, so $$$) followed by a 1.5 hour drive--not exactly a good use of time or money. I used to love the EAS service into BKW, then into LWB after Colgan dropped its EAS service to BKW. I sometimes have business travel to CKB, and the loss of UA service there hurts (4+ hour drive, or fly to PIT and drive 1.5 hours which is what I'd end up doing now).

More IAD-Central America nonstop options. Connecting in IAH isn't terrible--EWR feels like way too much backtracking, though.

Just so I can say "I've flown to every state," service to DE (UA has service to the other 2 states I have visited but not flown to, namely IA and MS).
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by n198ua
I know a little about UA’s history at BKK, but I’m just shocked that wouldn’t be a profitable route. Every single time I fly into BKK the ANA flight is packed, doesn’t matter what time or how far out; always stuck in the middle.
Edit to add I just looked at a RT DSM-BKK in PE for February 15 days and they’re getting close to $3500. It’s got to be a money maker. (Says the armchair airline CEO)
Originally Posted by Longboater
Not to make this a BKK-only discussion but if Thailand were to be relatively stable politically over the next several years, combined with those new 787-9s being delivered starting next year, I am sure SFO-BKK will get serious consideration a few years. Just look at SFO-MNL granted it took 25 years for it to come back after the economic meltdown in 1998, although part of that was United was unable to get proper takeoff and landing slots for the past several years and finally got them a month ago. Having the 777-300ER was also necessary given its fuel burn, capacity especially for the rear, and cargo hold as compared to the long since retired 747-400s. All indications are it is off to a good start, especially in the rear and in the cargo hold. SFO-BKK is within range of the 777-300ER, even with avoiding Russian airspace, but unlikely to carry much of any cargo given that is pretty much at the limit of the 777-300ERs range.
This topic was extensively discussed on the master BKK thread (which also addresses connecting routings via Japan, HKG and SIN).

In short since at least the 1980s BKK has been primarily a leisure destination without sufficient high value O/D traffic to make a non-stop profitable. You need paid corp biz class travel and BKK is no longer the manufacturing hub (or anything else) having been supplanted by Vietnam, Philippines, China etc. On the leisure side it is overwhelmingly the backpackers, students and others looking for a cheap vacation, not the jetset crowd that pays $5k for biz class nonstops to Europe. And BKK is not a transit hub like SIN, HKG. NRT, etc. Maybe Freddy Laker could make this route work but it doesn't fit the biz model for legacy carriers which require high fare paid biz class to turn a profit.

I would be happy to see it but not gonna happen.
SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer, RJNYC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Bolding mine. On UA, I almost exclusively fly int'l from IAH/ORD and occasionally from EWR/IAD. The last time I flew int'l out of SFO I was running to make my plane. I've been looking forward to try SFO PL bc I thought it would be the flagship PL. This month, I was looking at flights and specifically was planning to fly into SFO primarily so that I could try its PL (and since flight times worked). I had no idea at least one reputable person thinks it is Worst PL.
If you have a poll at FT, SFO PL will be dead last. The newer ones such as LAX (i have not visited it yet) and IAD are much better. IAH is too small while EWR is too crowded. But I have special feeling for ORD because it was the first one to open.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:39 am

IAD to GSP
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:22 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This topic was extensively discussed on the master BKK thread (which also addresses connecting routings via Japan, HKG and SIN).

In short since at least the 1980s BKK has been primarily a leisure destination without sufficient high value O/D traffic to make a non-stop profitable. You need paid corp biz class travel and BKK is no longer the manufacturing hub (or anything else) having been supplanted by Vietnam, Philippines, China etc. On the leisure side it is overwhelmingly the backpackers, students and others looking for a cheap vacation, not the jetset crowd that pays $5k for biz class nonstops to Europe. And BKK is not a transit hub like SIN, HKG. NRT, etc. Maybe Freddy Laker could make this route work but it doesn't fit the biz model for legacy carriers which require high fare paid biz class to turn a profit.

I would be happy to see it but not gonna happen.
Air Canada seems to be making YVR-BKK work.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I’d like to see the following:

LAX-SIN
LAX-MNL
LAX-BKK
LAX-DXB
LAX-MUC
LAX-DUB
LAX-TLV
cesco.g, Boraxo, SS255 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Until UA starts taking more delivery of 787s and 321XLRs, my hunch is that there will far less international route announcements than there have been in the past. Even the northern summer 2024 announcement was quite underwhelming compared to what they have done in recent summers.

Just to add my own $0.02 on a route that I’d like to see (and one I think might have a decent chance of coming back once SK leaves for SkyTeam) is EWR-CPH.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Jan 31, 2024 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Yeah I second 2024 route announcements may be a bit underwhelming if the new 787-9s are delayed until late Q4. Was thinking that a resumption of LAX-SIN with the new 787-9 with more seats in Polaris and PP would happen this fall but might have to wait until next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.