Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program – style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution – front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
...That, the high price and change in warranty was enough to steer me from Tumi to B&R. Although B&R is also pricey, their life time anything-goes warranty is like gold to me, with a shop quite close to the office. But unlike others, my 10 year old 26" bag looks like it has a few million miles on it.
Exactly why I shifted from Tumi as well. I'd even say that giving FA's a Tumi bag (presumably either offered to UA for free or at a huge discount) is more a statement about how far Tumi has fallen than anything else.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
A good bag checked won't look good / last more than a few months.
Yeah, my Tumi ended up with a scratch on it after a gate check. I guess the bright side is I can easily identify it is mine - along with the EVA Hello Kitty tag
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Exactly why I shifted from Tumi as well. I'd even say that giving FA's a Tumi bag (presumably either offered to UA for free or at a huge discount) is more a statement about how far Tumi has fallen than anything else.
I agree that the conversion to 5 year limited warranty has taken some shine off the brand, but they still make solid products with very good quality. IMO if it still had the lifetime warranty I'd be all in without a doubt still, but without it is worth looking at other players.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.
http://newsroom.united.com/2017-08-2...Friendly-Skies
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
No idea about the uniforms, but very solid luggage. Certainly not the el-cheepo-delux approach taken by deal leader Jeffie with the last round of uniforms.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:27 am
Suspended

Ask yourself, as a customer/passenger, does crew uniform make any difference in choosing your carrier? No, to me, it doesn't.
The new uniform may or may not improve crew morale, so we will just have to wait and see. After all, this is not the first time UA change their uniform.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
A good bag checked won't look good / last more than a few months. A cheap carry on will look like new even after a few dozen flugs.
flug
a combination of the words flying hugg.. when someone leaps into another's arms
man next time i see you i'd better get a flug! ^
(re: urban dictionary)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:25 am

Rumor has it

I think it is great that the FAs are getting an upgrade with better quality. Will this mean that their regional FAs will get an upgrade as well? I think it should since they also reflect UA. Rumor has it that UA is changing their color over to shades of purple? Has anyone else heard this?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:56 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Lucymrae
I think it is great that the FAs are getting an upgrade with better quality. Will this mean that their regional FAs will get an upgrade as well? I think it should since they also reflect UA. Rumor has it that UA is changing their color over to shades of purple? Has anyone else heard this?
For the new uniforms please see: new uniforms announced for UA

Welcome to Flyertalk Lucymrae!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.