Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program – style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution – front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:37 pm

Goes right along with this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html

Seriously, good for them!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

We get two options:

https://www.tumi.com/p/international-expandable-2-wheeled-carry-on-022020D2#

https://www.tumi.com/p/front-lid-international-carry-on-022560D2
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:00 pm

I quite like that first one! While I'd never put out that kind of cash for a bag it sounds great for FAs.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I'm still using a Tumi bag that's 15+ years old, and it is still in great shape. And I love the Tumi amenity kit bag from JL, which I use to carry pens, spare charger, etc. Did I mention that I love them? Glad that the FAs are joining the Tumi train.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
That the bag I use ^

Wasn't the previous contract with Travelpro® FlightCrew™?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I never knew they got bags, I guess that's why they all look the same

I wish they gave me Tumi luggage when they replace my damaged bag
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That the bag I use ^
Same. Despite being just over 3 years old, and with well over half a million miles on it, it's still in basically perfect condition.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Remember folks --- These company issued Tumi's, are reserved for the first 5 rows of bins (both sides), prior to boarding!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
That's fantastic and a great investment. That's the same bag I use and after years of complete abuse it is just as good as new. The quality is peerless.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by eeflyer
I quite like that first one! While I'd never put out that kind of cash for a bag it sounds great for FAs.
Mu guess is that UA is getting a substantial discount from that price.

As attractive as Tumi bags are, I'd never buy them because people steal them simply because they are Tumi's. At least, that is what an LAX baggage claim rep told me when I was searching for my (stolen) TravelPro bag. (Which I no longer buy because of poor quality; now using B&R.)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did not know there were degrees of perfection.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Mu guess is that UA is getting a substantial discount from that price.
Samsonite bought Tumi a few years back. Corporate contracts seems more in line from a larger corporation.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:20 am

Guess you have to assume these two bags are absolutely and completely approved for carryon, and will fit in the overhead.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:08 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 1kBill
(Which I no longer buy because of poor quality; now using B&R.)
Yeah, my B&Rs are easily the best bags I have ever owned. But you can't argue about getting a nice Tumi if you are UA flight crew.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:02 pm

I always forget how heavy wheeled bags are (9 & 10 pounds for these two). Trying to get this on an LH flight when they make you weigh your carry-on as you're checking your checked luggage will be tricky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.