Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program – style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution – front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I always forget how heavy wheeled bags are (9 & 10 pounds for these two). Trying to get this on an LH flight when they make you weigh your carry-on as you're checking your checked luggage will be tricky.
I've never had a problem checking my Tumi on LH.

I have an old Tumi from the late 90s with pretty much a million miles of flying on it. Just got the plastic around the handle replaced for the third time ($25 for shipping) and wheels for the second time. Still going strong. I don't use it as much since I got a slightly smaller Tumi a few years back.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
A good bag checked won't look good / last more than a few months. A cheap carry on will look like new even after a few dozen flugs.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by don731
Guess you have to assume these two bags are absolutely and completely approved for carryon, and will fit in the overhead.
They fit the published requirements and fit the sizer boxes.

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
A good bag checked won't look good / last more than a few months. A cheap carry on will look like new even after a few dozen flugs.
Given the number of long term satisfied users that have posted in this thread, there may be some disagreement with your observation.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JHake10
Samsonite bought Tumi a few years back. Corporate contracts seems more in line from a larger corporation.
Wasn't aware of this, although it might explain why my most recent Tumi acquisition now has plastic zip ties for zipper tugs almost entirely. Arg.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
That is just not true. My Briggs & Riley has been checked numerous times for years and looks great. Quality counts.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given the number of long term satisfied users that have posted in this thread, there may be some disagreement with your observation.
^
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by don731
Guess you have to assume these two bags are absolutely and completely approved for carryon, and will fit in the overhead.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's that simple. I've had GAs try to check my totebag for being too big of a personal item when commuting (it may actually be, I've never put it in a sizer)... it's the most recently company provided one, and I rarely stuff it. Theyve both changed their tune when they saw my badge, but if I had been a revenue pax -- particularly a non status one -- I doubt I would've been allowed to bring it in. I expressed as much but it didn't get me anything other than a dirty look so I didn't push the envelope.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:00 pm

Great -- as long as the FAs don't stow these bags right above Row 1 or above a bulkhead seat in the other cabin(s)... Please store them in the closet and/or the far back of the plane.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Remember folks --- These company issued Tumi's, are reserved for the first 5 rows of bins (both sides), prior to boarding!
Really getting fed up with this too myself. I hope the Tumi luggage they are getting will help this issue.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I redeemed my miles for a Tumi bag a few years ago. While it is solid and sturdy, it is super heavy. The warranty is not that great. Many practical people seem to prefer Kirkland but I have not bought one yet.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by username
The warranty is not that great. .
I once had a Tumi call center rep try to explain to me how "close" the Arizona service center was to me from Colorado. The implication seemed to be that I should just pop on over with my repair needs.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I once had a Tumi call center rep try to explain to me how "close" the Arizona service center was to me from Colorado. The implication seemed to be that I should just pop on over with my repair needs.
There is a Tumi store in Cherry Creek if you want to pop on up to Denver

They send it out to some sort of service center anyway.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
There is a Tumi store in Cherry Creek if you want to pop on up to Denver

They send it out to some sort of service center anyway.
Ha! Well, now that I understand the ownership situation, I'll likely be looking for a Plan B as far as luggage goes...
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It really depends on the bag, but definitely true for some. The uber-expensive Rimowa Topas tend to look terrible after being checked a few times. I also had a very pricey B&R that attracted dirt like a three-year old at the playground.

Originally Posted by username
Many practical people seem to prefer Kirkland but I have not bought one yet.
I have a 10-year old Kirkland rollaboard that is a true warhorse. But they don't sell this particular version anymore
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I got the continental about 4 years ago and wished i would have gotten the international for the only difference is 2 inches in width, but more than 2 lbs. in weight. I hope to never need another carryon actually, but for those buying go with the international IMO.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Mu guess is that UA is getting a substantial discount from that price.

As attractive as Tumi bags are, I'd never buy them because people steal them simply because they are Tumi's. At least, that is what an LAX baggage claim rep told me when I was searching for my (stolen) TravelPro bag. (Which I no longer buy because of poor quality; now using B&R.)
Steal them? Really if it is a carry on unless you are tackled and forced to give it up or leave it alone in the bathroom, when does it get stolen? Unless you are talking checked bags.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by schley
Steal them? Really if it is a carry on unless you are tackled and forced to give it up or leave it alone in the bathroom, when does it get stolen? Unless you are talking checked bags.
Checked bags, yes. Her words were: "People steal them because they're Tumi."

That, the high price and change in warranty was enough to steer me from Tumi to B&R. Although B&R is also pricey, their life time anything-goes warranty is like gold to me, with a shop quite close to the office. But unlike others, my 10 year old 26" bag looks like it has a few million miles on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.