Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program – style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution – front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by porciuscato
That's a bit of a contrast to most others. For example, Vietnam Air:

or Air Asia:

Sigh.
So adding more color (other than black and blue) and pattern is a good move, no?
Old May 9, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
So adding more color (other than black and blue) and pattern is a good move, no?
No. Blue without a pattern can look great:

My point was it's more about how you wear the uniform than the uniform itself. If you're smiling and enthusiastic with good posture and a good attitude, just about anything can look great. If you're sour, with poor posture, a bad attitude and 30 extra pounds, no uniform is going to make you look good. It's a waste of money. The United photo up-thread sums it up.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

My point was it's more about how you wear the uniform than the uniform itself. If you're smiling and enthusiastic with good posture and a good attitude, just about anything can look great. If you're sour, with poor posture, a bad attitude and 30 extra pounds, no uniform is going to make you look good. It's a waste of money. The United photo up-thread sums it up.
Attitude and pride are important and are the responsibility of management to instill.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No. Blue without a pattern can look great:

(emphasis added)

So are you suggesting re-instituting weigh-in's prior to each work shift?
Old May 9, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
(emphasis added)

So are you suggesting re-instituting weigh-in's prior to each work shift?
No. However, given the supposition that FAs here "primarily for our safety," there should be a rigorous fitness test along the lines of what Lufthansa and other top international carriers have. I know that may be an issue with unions, who take it as mission to keep unqualified people in their jobs. But we can fix that by having the DOT require that FAs be able to run and swim at reasonable paces. It is a safety issue, after all.

Out of the photos on the recent pages, which crews do you think would be most able to sprint down the aisle and get an AED in 3 seconds? Or jump from a life raft and rescue a drowning infant?

Last edited by porciuscato; May 9, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Let's face it, beer bellies don't look good in any uniforms.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Ah, and that's the basic challenge all US carriers suffer. We hope to improve morale and hope improved morale results in better service. That is the wrong cycle, and a broken process.

Yes, morale comes into play, but essentially, we need tools, training, procedures and enforcement of basic service standards - so regardless of who woke up on the right or wrong side of the bed that morning, every employee delivers the very same essential baseline service to every customer, and those who don't, are asked to leave.
I doubt many people would disagree with you, but you're missing my point. You have to do all of these things, and they each have incremental impact.

Just because they're providing new uniforms doesn't mean they aren't doing anything else, or that they don't have anything else planned.

I also think you've stated something as an absolute that isn't necessarily. You state airlines hope to improve morale and hope improved morale results in better service. The two are NOT necessarily related. Companies in all lines of business spend money to improve morale, even when customer service is not highly valued. In fact, the military spends a lot of time working on employee morale, and it's almost completely about improving operations, not service.

Bottom line, there are lots of reasons for UA to roll out new uniforms. That doesn't mean the service you desire is being ignored, or that there isn't money set aside in someone else's budget for that too.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
Attitude and pride are important and are the responsibility of management to instill.
While I prefer leaders who share the view that attitude and pride are important, for me, attitude and pride come from within. YMMV, of course.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think this thread has taken a unpleasant turn with the thinly-veiled disparaging remarks about UA employees (who have no idea their appearances are being criticized by anonymous posters on an internet message board).

Out of the photos on the recent pages, which crews do you think would be most able to sprint down the aisle and get an AED in 3 seconds? Or jump from a life raft and rescue a drowning infant?
Probably the crewmember who has undergone the most frequent, highest-quality training. The tasks you describe do not exactly require Olympic-level physical fitness. The near-universal response one hears from crewmembers recalling successful evacuations, emergency responses, etc. is, "my training just kicked in." That doesn't have much to do with uniforms.

Silly argument.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
While I prefer leaders who share the view that attitude and pride are important, for me, attitude and pride come from within. YMMV, of course.
You're right. Perhaps I should have said it is management's job to inspire pride and encourage positive attitudes.

Investing in and supporting employees contributes to this.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
You're right. Perhaps I should have said it is management's job to inspire pride and encourage positive attitudes.

Investing in and supporting employees contributes to this.
I agree with both comments above. And I think new uniforms will help produce better morale, especially if they are more stylish and comfortable. I wore poor quality polyester uniforms for 21 years because I had to. I hated the fit and feel of those clothes. To this day, all of my professional clothing is wool, cotton, silk or linen. There isn't a bit of polyester in my closet. And when I see someone wearing a cheap polyester blend suit at a meeting, I pity them.

I still want UA to procure proper ice cream sundae bowls before they buy new uniforms.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
I think this thread has taken a unpleasant turn with the thinly-veiled disparaging remarks about UA employees (who have no idea their appearances are being criticized by anonymous posters on an internet message board).
The ologopolistic legacy airlines and their unions have foisted really crappy service on us for years. I never intended to "veil" my criticism. They are indolent rent-seekers. They deserve it. Putting new uniforms on FAs won't change that. Here's a novel idea: keep the uniforms and replace all the Flight Attendants. That's a change that would actually make a difference.

And yes, I would stake my safety on a Lufthansa FA, who has to pass a 200 meter swim test, versus the UA FAs, who often have to turn sideways to make it down the aisle. All rhetoric aside, wouldn't you?

Last edited by porciuscato; May 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 10:49 pm

The ologopolistic legacy airlines and their unions have foisted really crappy service on us for years. I never intended to "veil" my criticism. They are indolent rent-seekers. They deserve it. Putting new uniforms on FAs won't change that. Here's a novel idea: keep the uniforms and replace all the Flight Attendants. That's a change that would actually make a difference.

And yes, I would stake my safety on a Lufthansa FA, who has to pass a 200 meter swim test, versus the UA FAs, who often have to turn sideways to make it down the aisle. All rhetoric aside, wouldn't you?
Agree here. But all the talk about attitude, pride and more is, to say it mildly, misplaced. In the U.S. unionized airline staff does not work for the company but for the Union. That's where they get their marching orders from. Therefor they will give a hoot about friendliness, service with a smile or attention to the customer's needs. No uniform change will make a difference. And to make sure I am not anti Union, actually I don't care. I am lucky to live in a part of this world where excellent service provided with a warm smile is the norm.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Reading this thread reminds me of the itchy polyester shirt I had to wear the one summer I worked at a Burger King. In that context, I just hope that the new uniforms are comfortable to wear over a 14-hour flight. The rest is less important to me than, say, an on-time arrival, cheerful or at least non-resentful service, food and beverages, in-seat power, WiFi, and please please please have the middle seat stay open.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Agree with you completely. I think the new uniforms will be great and a first step in rebuilding front line employee morale.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2017 at 11:51 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.