Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fit for the Runway - United Airlines Brings Fashion, Function and Comfort to the Friendly Skies

Airline partners with Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt to reimagine next generation of uniforms
Employees are integral part in every step of the new uniform creation
United partners with TUMI as official luggage provider for flight attendants

August 24, 2017

CHICAGO, Aug. 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines announced today that it has partnered with three world-class design and apparel companies – Brooks Brothers, Tracy Reese and Carhartt – to inspire and create a new line of uniforms for the carrier's more than 70,000 front-line employees. Additionally, United will partner with TUMI, the leading international brand of premium travel, business and lifestyle accessories, to be the official luggage provider for all 24,000 flight attendants.

"The partners we've selected uniquely match what our employees asked for in a uniforms program – style, comfort and durability," said Kate Gebo, senior vice president of global customer service delivery and chief customer officer of United. "We recognized early on that this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution – front-line employees perform vastly different roles and deserve a uniform that meets their specific needs, created by leaders in the apparel business. Our United family is excited to see how these trusted and innovative brands will deliver world-class uniforms in close collaboration with our employees."

Committed to a best-in-class uniforms program, earlier this year the airline started what will be a multi-year process to ensure the proper amount of time for collaboration among employees, labor leadership and the partner brands as well as ample time to test uniforms before finalizing designs and materials. Working closely with labor leadership for all front-line teams, employee feedback will be used to inform every aspect of the design process, which will be followed by multiple thorough wear tests with employees to ensure optimal comfort and functionality of designs and materials. The process is structured to deliver comfortable, durable and fashionable uniforms that United's talented aviation professionals will feel proud to wear while performing their varied roles.

Based on employee feedback from focus groups, open houses and surveys, United identified a variety of distinct brands to meet the needs of employees and help deliver the company's next-generation uniform program. Over the last several months, Tracy Reese and representatives from Brooks Brothers and Carhartt met with employees at all of United's U.S. domestic hub locations. United anticipates rolling out new uniforms in 2020.
FA TUMI options
International Expandable 022020D2

International Carry-On 022560D2
Print Wikipost

Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 5:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The whole airline could use a rebranding at this point. Polaris is nice as a premium concept but economy and the overall company image has been pretty neglected. New uniforms may be nice if they can get them to actually look, well, uniform and iconic. Like seeing an Emirates crew - instantly recognizable. Or an Avianca crew for that matter.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
When a company has major, major service problems, any sort of trivial and diversionary changes (like uniforms and livery) begs the question: "why don't you take care of the really big problems that matter first?" It suggests that the company either lacks focus or is opting for show rather than substance.

If employee appearances are truly a concern, the money would be better spent on free gym and weight-watcher memberships. That would probably enhance safety too.
But this logic suggest that United is only allowed to fix whatever the big pressing problem is at the moment. United is a large complex operation with many moving parts, and lots of them need help. Making the front line service employees feel better with classier uniforms can only help with service.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
JOSECONLSCREW28, why would you call out only male FAs?

All employees are getting new uniforms.
Well it appears that he is a male FA, so he's probably giving us the info which he got. He seems to share a lot of information on developments, so I would think we could be encouraging him.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Back to the subject at hand; I'm prepared for "new" uniforms that are underwhelming but I remain positive that they can at least come up with a something that takes into consideration the various sizes/shapes but still presents an improvement over the current offering. Hopefully we will never again have to see something like this from the pmCO days:

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 24, 2017 at 1:21 pm Reason: removed response to deleted OT material
Old May 9, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eadward
Yes I always love these comments that when something good is being done that instead something else should be done. Adds so much value.
I myself especially like the 'do you think' part of it.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
But this logic suggest that United is only allowed to fix whatever the big pressing problem is at the moment. United is a large complex operation with many moving parts, and lots of them need help. Making the front line service employees feel better with classier uniforms can only help with service.
United is "allowed" to do whatever they like. The captain of the Titanic was also allowed to re-arrange the deck chairs of the sinking boat. However, addressing a catastrophe with show rather than substance rarely works out well.

Here's the only uniform change that makes sense at this point: issue new name tags, with names on both sides and require employees to wear them so they can be seen (no more turning them around). That would be a lot cheaper and make a much bigger difference than superficial dress changes.

I recently had the best flight attendant in all my years of flying United. No surprise: he was the one out of 10 that actually had a visible name tag that wasn't turned around.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My first thought was if these uniforms would cause some of the health issues American FAs and pilots are now talking about. For reference, follow Heather Poole on Twitter or a quick Google search. Complicated issue and hopefully United will be able to avoid this landmine.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...Making the front line service employees feel better with classier uniforms can only help with service.
This is a widely specious argument - I don't see how dressing up someone who, for many years, was a jaded, disinterested, mean grouch who hates customers, will suddenly turn them 180 degrees into someone completely different?

If we want to rebrand, how about starting with new industry leading coach seats that offer state of the art comfort for long haul flights? Something customers can actually appreciate and identify with positive value?
Old May 9, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is a widely specious argument - I don't see how dressing up someone who, for many years, was a jaded, disinterested, mean grouch who hates customers, will suddenly turn them 180 degrees into someone completely different?

If we want to rebrand, how about starting with new industry leading coach seats that offer state of the art comfort for long haul flights? Something customers can actually appreciate and identify with positive value?
There's no magic bullet to improving employees' morale. You adjust and hope for incremental improvement. I think it's hard to argue otherwise, that for most (maybe not the long time jaded employees), if they like their uniform better their attitude will improve, at least a little.

To me, this has nothing to do with re-branding. This is about giving your employees updated uniforms, nothing more. It doesn't mean other things shouldn't be done for customers. As a customer, I could care less what a FA wears as long as I can identify them as a FA. Not everything UA does has to benefit you.

I'll caveat all that with I'm probably the worst person to comment on fashion/style, so I'm hoping the FA's see the new uniforms as an improvement.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
On the other hand, do you think an uncomfortable, cheaply-made uniform that embodies unpopular era fraught with an adversarial employee-management relationship and aggressive cost cutting confers any positive customer service benefit?

Regardless, the company has a substantial annual uniform budget, so if a new design/style provides some positive motivation for even 5% of the workforce, IMO it's money well spent.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JBord
There's no magic bullet to improving employees' morale. You adjust and hope for incremental improvement. ...
Ah, and that's the basic challenge all US carriers suffer. We hope to improve morale and hope improved morale results in better service. That is the wrong cycle, and a broken process.

Yes, morale comes into play, but essentially, we need tools, training, procedures and enforcement of basic service standards - so regardless of who woke up on the right or wrong side of the bed that morning, every employee delivers the very same essential baseline service to every customer, and those who don't, are asked to leave.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
According to Twitter, there was a discovery event at EWR yesterday with designer Tracy Reese. Planned roll-out is 2019-2020.

Old May 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Ah, and that's the basic challenge all US carriers suffer. We hope to improve morale and hope improved morale results in better service. That is the wrong cycle, and a broken process.

Yes, morale comes into play, but essentially, we need tools, training, procedures and enforcement of basic service standards - so regardless of who woke up on the right or wrong side of the bed that morning, every employee delivers the very same essential baseline service to every customer, and those who don't, are asked to leave.
I believe your assumptions are fundamentally flawed.

Tools, training, procedures, and enforcement are important. All have been a focus since the merger. However, without engaged and motivated employees, this will result in ill-tempered uninterested employees that are regularly threatened with termination.

There's no magic way to engage and motivate employees, but making them feel special and valued is a great place to start.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
According to Twitter, there was a discovery event at EWR yesterday with designer Tracy Reese.

That's a bit of a contrast to most others. For example, Vietnam Air:

or Air Asia:

Sigh.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thai Smile is also pretty great for the females. I think the men have ties in the fabric.
The musty lavender on TG is so bleeeehhhh. At least they keep the traditional silk for the first part of l/h flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.