Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki note about the forums several, active Channel 9 threads.
[For reference, the 2013 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424575-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2013-flights.html ]

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (Channel 9) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captains discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts youre interested in.

1) This thread intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss Uniteds progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (Channel 9) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captains discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts youre interested in.

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536853-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2014-flights.html ]

1) This thread intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss Uniteds progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2013-2014] Flights ]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO aircraft yet?

The following mainline aircraft types allow passengers to listen to ATC. The legacy nomenclature is "Channel 9," but on many types it is accessed by selecting "From the Flight Deck" on the "Audio" menu of the seat-back entertainment, then pushing "Listen." Legacy pmCO FAs may not know what "Channel 9" is, as none of their a/c had it prior to the merger.

A319 - removed
A320 - removed
B737 - no
B747 - yes
B757 - only pmUA 757-200s operating p.s. flights (i.e. 28J seats)
B767 - yes, both pmUA 767-300s and pmCO 767-400s
B777 - yes, both pmUA and pmCO, except the new Hawaiian and domestic high-density configuration aircraft
B787 - no

UA management has said they are "studying" ways it can be made available over the streaming content-equipped planes (i.e. A319, A320, 737), but no schedule has been announced for a decision or implementation.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 9:02 pm

No luck on 5/21 UA1478 SFO-IAD
Old May 23, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
5/23 -- UA340 IAD-SFO

^ Was off at boarding. I ask the FA to ask the captain if he'll turn on Channel 9 today. FA comes back and says no. Oh well, I think.

After we reach cruise, FO says in his PA speech that Channel 9 was on, and surprise -- it was!
Old May 24, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
UA 90 EWR-TLV 2/1 - all the way including ground^
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA635 30May, 767-300/3-class, ORD-SEA. This was Captain Denny Flanagan's second-to-last flight, so ^^^^^
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA-Gold, HH-Gold
5/19 - UA106 IAD-MUC ^
5/26 - UA906 FRA-ORD ^

Both flights had ATC from gate to gate.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
6/4 - UA881 ORD-NRT

First time on 881 since it switched from my beloved 747. During the PDB I started to ask the Purser if the Captain was planning on switching on Ch. 9 but before I could finish she said "Oh no, absolutely not" in a tone and with a look that made it seem like I was out of my mind for even considering it.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
6/12 - UA881 ORD-NRT

Asked one FA to ask if Captain would turn on Ch. 9. Never got back to me. Asked a second FA. Never got back to me. Waylaid the second FA to ask what the captain said. Said captain would not turn it on.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
May 18, UA855 LIM>IAH ^ It wasn't on, I asked the purser, and she gladly told the captain. Was fun sleeping while listening to ATC!
I find it mesmerizing but soporific!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
6/13

ua1165
ewr-lax ^
757-200 P.S.

Last edited by shagba808; Jun 14, 2016 at 10:39 am Reason: Capitalization
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Alaska Gold
UA 340 June 15:

Asked F/A and she said: Oh no we don't have that anymore
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by kseaflyr
UA 340 June 15:

Asked F/A and she said: Oh no we don't have that anymore
That FA sold you a line. That aircraft does have Channel 9 sounds like the crew didn't want to turn it on.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
EWR-SFO 6/27 764 ^
SFO-EWR 6/30 752ps ^
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
7/1 UA 340 IAD-SFO 772 3-class

Asked the FA in F who said "we don't do that anymore... but let me check with the purser". The purser gave him a curt nod at the word "channel 9" and he came back looking apologetic. No dice.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
That FA sold you a line. That aircraft does have Channel 9 sounds like the crew didn't want to turn it on.
The FAs may not be informed. While I was successful in the two times I asked recently, but at first was greeted the strange looks from the FAs. On the 764 he didn't what it was or if the plane had it (it did) but nicely asked the pilot, and sure enough, they turned it on. On the PMUA 752, the FA said "I think we still have it but let me check". But ^ to the FAs for asking and the pilots for turning it on.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7/5 UA53 ZRH-IAD Ch9 available^ although I didn't hear anything during the Oceanic portion of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.