Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki note about the forums several, active Channel 9 threads.
[For reference, the 2013 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424575-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2013-flights.html ]

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (Channel 9) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captains discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts youre interested in.

1) This thread intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss Uniteds progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (Channel 9) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captains discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts youre interested in.

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536853-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2014-flights.html ]

1) This thread intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss Uniteds progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2013-2014] Flights ]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO aircraft yet?

The following mainline aircraft types allow passengers to listen to ATC. The legacy nomenclature is "Channel 9," but on many types it is accessed by selecting "From the Flight Deck" on the "Audio" menu of the seat-back entertainment, then pushing "Listen." Legacy pmCO FAs may not know what "Channel 9" is, as none of their a/c had it prior to the merger.

A319 - removed
A320 - removed
B737 - no
B747 - yes
B757 - only pmUA 757-200s operating p.s. flights (i.e. 28J seats)
B767 - yes, both pmUA 767-300s and pmCO 767-400s
B777 - yes, both pmUA and pmCO, except the new Hawaiian and domestic high-density configuration aircraft
B787 - no

UA management has said they are "studying" ways it can be made available over the streaming content-equipped planes (i.e. A319, A320, 737), but no schedule has been announced for a decision or implementation.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
04 June UA714 DEN-BOS B752 - On (w/o announcement).
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
5/15 LAX-JFK UA1257
5/27 HKG-SIN UA895 ^
6/2 SIN-HKG UA896 ^
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA 3MM/PLAT; UA 1MM/1K
^6/2 UA 653 SFO-LAX
6/2 UA 877 LAX-PVG
^^6/6 UA 858 PVG-SFO (Pilot gave very clear details of when it would be available and explained that Oceanic reporting is now done via datalink, so no audio for that portion of the flight).

Rather worryingly he also mentioned that Smisek is looking to eliminate the feature.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:12 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
6/6
SFO to LAX 842 B752 ^
LAX to SFO 705 B752^^
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:43 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
6/8 UA594 (752) LGA-IAH ^ gate-to-gate
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
6/10 UA706 SNA-DEN A319 ^ I thanked the captain on the way out.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

6/6 BKK-NRT UA 838 ^
6/6 NRT-IAD UA 804 ^ for the first 2 hours, then off the remainder of the flight.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 2 Million Miler, UA 1K, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
305 msy - sfo a-319

Tapping this out using the wifi onboard. 305 from New Orleans to SFO did not have 9 enabled. Asked FA and she indicated that they would not turn it on. From the look on her face it appeared that she was not happy about relaying the decision of the flight deck. I gather they were told this during the briefing.

If they say this is a feature they should have a policy to turn it on. Now I just have to buy the Internet and complain on Flyertalk.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
11 June UA931 LHR-SFO B777 Gate-to-Gate including Oceanic ^
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
6/7 JFK-LAX UA 535

(but the crew did accidentally make some ATC broadcasts over the PA system, so there's that )
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

UA525 ANC-SFO 9 Jun 13 gate to gate^
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
UA525 ANC-SFO 9 Jun 13 gate to gate^
Were all four of the FTers on that flight listening in?

Maybe captains are more willing to give in when a third of the F cabin demands it be on.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
This may be a dumb question, but...

I was skimming through Hemisphere's the other day, and saw that listed under the triple 7 ac type, "From the flight deck" was listed, w/o a footnote or exception.

I was under the impression that pmCO 772's didnt have Ch9 available. I'm flying UA116 later in the month and just wanted to know what to expect.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
This may be a dumb question, but...

I was skimming through Hemisphere's the other day, and saw that listed under the triple 7 ac type, "From the flight deck" was listed, w/o a footnote or exception.

I was under the impression that pmCO 772's didnt have Ch9 available. I'm flying UA116 later in the month and just wanted to know what to expect.
Someone said a few weeks back that it was available on the IFE on the PMCO 772s; although they have a different interface than the PMUA IPTE screens, there's an option for it in the audio selections IIRC.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:25 am

LHR->SFO on Sunday we had it for most of the flight, and it helped me understand why we were sitting for a while at the gate (although as it turns out the FA was unusually good at keeping us informed too). Unfortunately I think it was switched off for the approach.

That was a 772 if I remember correctly. There is a "From the flight deck" option in the audio screen. You have to remember to switch it off again, too, because if you enable it and then bring up a film the film plays with no sound until you go back and switch channel 9 off again. Maybe that's true of all audio, but it's less obvious with ATC once you're over water and it's silent most of the time. ETA: That was probably a PMUA plane so maybe this isn't a helpful answer to the question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.