Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thumbs up Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
The new Hawaiian IPTE 777 have "From the Flight Deck" on the AVOD. I did not ask if it was on and for a moment when I tuned in there was a light hiss.

Since these aircraft had Channel 9 before, it's possible the patch to the IFE is in fact working. Hopefully someone else can check on this.
Yes, indeed! Ch 9 was working on a reconfigured 777 HNL-SFO I flew on Dec. 30. It was the first time in many months I'd had it on a flight, and I'd almost forgotten how much it added to the experience.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
wow, good to know that.
Anyone know if former 77H now 77Gs (2379 being only one at this time) has the similar capability?

Originally Posted by transportprof
Yes, indeed! Ch 9 was working on a reconfigured 777 HNL-SFO I flew on Dec. 30. It was the first time in many months I'd had it on a flight, and I'd almost forgotten how much it added to the experience.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Hartmann
1/16 - UA743 - EWR-ORD (763) - Channel 9 was available the entire flight, even during the 2 hour mechanical delay where I could hear the discussion with Ops and the Mechanical teams and the frustration from the pilots since the fix was easy, but no one showed up for over an hour.
Interesting - I was on that same 763 which came in from ORD (UA385 ORD-EWR 1/16) and Channel 9 was turned off throughout my flight.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The average person can be a royal pain in the a$$.

I understand the pilot.

Every day, perception gets closer to FACT.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:23 pm

I have given up on Ch 9 domestic. I find it available sometimes on SIN-HKG and then again out of HKG to SFO a well as ORD but it stops once we are past NRT. Channel 9 used to be such a wonderful offering especially for enthusiasts but Unions have put an end to it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
In my experience the two main limits to availability of live ATC in the form of Channel 9 are the very few domestic aircraft having the capability and, for those international craft that are Ch. 9 enabled, that direct radar monitoring of flights doesn't occur more than about 200-250 miles from land-based radar.

That over-ocean flight is monitored by non-radar means with HF and ACARS communication is likely the reason that most UA pilots switch off channel 9 or replace it with some other audio; and some may forget to switch back when their over-land segment resumes.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
As noted in the "What do you want to know about the new 77W??" thread, Channel 9 (aka "From the Flight Deck") is offered on this new type! Here's the post. ^^^^^
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I have given up on Ch 9 domestic. I find it available sometimes on SIN-HKG and then again out of HKG to SFO a well as ORD but it stops once we are past NRT. Channel 9 used to be such a wonderful offering especially for enthusiasts but Unions have put an end to it.
What's the stories with the unions over this?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ELAL
What's the stories with the unions over this?
Incorrect information. CH 9 has always been at the PICs digression and many appear to less than enthusiastic about it due to concerns of over zealous passengers (real or not). UA has not been making much of an effort to added it to sCO aircraft and it was lost from A3xx in the IFE retrofit. But the availability on the 777-300ER is good news.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone know if the Ch9 on the 77W is wired in or part of streaming entertainment? I know UA has maintained that it's coming back, but that they were trying to integrate it with the streaming system somehow. If it's streaming, it's a great sign. Even if not, still a good sign that it's not dead. I think there are many more Ch9 fans than they realize.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by asphaltman
Does anyone know if the Ch9 on the 77W is wired in or part of streaming entertainment? I know UA has maintained that it's coming back, but that they were trying to integrate it with the streaming system somehow. If it's streaming, it's a great sign. Even if not, still a good sign that it's not dead. I think there are many more Ch9 fans than they realize.
I was under the impression that the wired and wireless entertainment on the 777W were intigrated together and intigrated into the flight management system in some way.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS
Is Channel 9 live on the current 77W flight (EWR-SFO)??
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:29 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Yes. See posts 258 and 262, above.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Yes. See posts 258 and 262, above.
I know it's available, I was curious if it was on during the inaugural flight.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Is Channel 9 live on the current 77W flight (EWR-SFO)??
It might be there, but it was not on, I checked multiple times throughout the flight to no avail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.