Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.
[For reference, the 2013 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424575-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2013-flights.html ]

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
Channel 9 not offered on this flight.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536853-availability-atc-communications-channel-9-thread-2014-flights.html ]

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...craft-yet.html

[For reference, the 2014 Channel 9 Availability thread is here: Availability of ATC Communications on Channel 9 thread [2013-2014] Flights ]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO aircraft yet?

The following mainline aircraft types allow passengers to listen to ATC. The legacy nomenclature is "Channel 9," but on many types it is accessed by selecting "From the Flight Deck" on the "Audio" menu of the seat-back entertainment, then pushing "Listen." Legacy pmCO FAs may not know what "Channel 9" is, as none of their a/c had it prior to the merger.

A319 - removed
A320 - removed
B737 - no
B747 - yes
B757 - only pmUA 757-200s operating p.s. flights (i.e. 28J seats)
B767 - yes, both pmUA 767-300s and pmCO 767-400s
B777 - yes, both pmUA and pmCO, except the new Hawaiian and domestic high-density configuration aircraft
B787 - no

UA management has said they are "studying" ways it can be made available over the streaming content-equipped planes (i.e. A319, A320, 737), but no schedule has been announced for a decision or implementation.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by TomMM
7/5 UA53 ZRH-IAD Ch9 available^ although I didn't hear anything during the Oceanic portion of the flight.
Over the ocean, most communications are handled by CPDLC. The radio that is usually connected to "Channel 9" is set to frequency 123.45, an air-to-air frequency that's usually just chatter between aircraft. If voice communication is required, an HF radio is used (vs the VHF radio used over land).

Last edited by wxguy; Jul 6, 2016 at 6:56 am
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
6/25 UA 428 LAX-EWR PS 757 ^

No announcement, at least that I heard...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA 906 FRA-ORD 777-200 6/25/16 "From the Cockpit" aka channel 9 was on^^^
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
7/12 EWR-SFO 757 PS
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
7/7 UA855 LIM-IAH 763 Asked an FA, cap said no. We had a lot of chop for the first 2 hours, so that's why I assume why.
7/10 UA854 IAH-LIM 763 Asked an FA again, cap said no.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:50 am

UA 850 PEK-ORD 747-400 7/29/16 "From the Cockpit" aka channel 9 was on
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: UA1K
7/23 UA889 PEK-SFO, Ch9 on with public promotion from the Captain^^
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
2/8 UA79 EWR-NRT 772 Asked an FA who had no idea what it was
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
17 Jul UA881 ORD-NRT 772 ^, I asked and was turned on after we hit cruising altitude.

23 Jul UA882 NRT-ORD 772 ^ gate-to-gate
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
4 Aug UA247 LAX-EWR 772 ^ gate-to-gate, no announcement
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9/1 ua944 ord-fra^
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Flying Club - Virgin
1 out of 8 Flights

Recently I did 8 flights, including 2 trans Atlantic hops - all with United.

I will let off the 2 smallest aircraft as the turb prop planes did not have any entertainment facilities. However was very disappointed to find out that the Dreamliner flight between LHR- IAH did not have Channel 9 as an option! The newest aircraft do not fit Ch9 - in my view - shows just how little the 21st century United values Ch9.

I only got Ch 9 on the night flight between LAX-EWR.

I guess that next time I fly to the states, I shall just go with the cheapest airline, as CH9 was United's Unique Selling Point for me.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
8/24 UA415 LAX-EWR redeye 752 ^

spent the whole flight listening to channel 9 instead of sleeping — probably not the best of ideas but haven't had ch9 in a long while
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
7/22 930 SFO-LHR ^ Asked the captain directly during boarding, he turned it on
7/30 900 LHR-SFO Asked the FA, FA said the captain said no
8/13 930 SFO-LHR Asked the FA, never heard back
8/30 949 LHR-SFO ^ Asked one FA, never heard back. Asked another FA to call, a few minutes later it was on.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I really believe that under the ancien regime any service UA offered that was above the norm had to be monetized or cut. Charging for channel 9, while attractive to them, would be legally problematic as the "talent", the pilots, were not going to be given a cut. So they decide to abandon it in a similar fashion as Global First.

My conspiracy theory for today.....

As facetious as this sounds, I bet it is completely in line with past management's approach to running an airline, absolutely no sense of customer priority or service and blind adherence to cost reduction of anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.