FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
I flew LHR-EWR about a month ago on the 764 and the pilots were based out of IAD (and the crew LHR) — thought it a little odd to have an IAD flight crew fly into EWR (and then presumably have to deadhead back to IAD), especially since I guess there should be way more 757/67 pilots based in EWR than IAD.
I think there are a lot of "M"-shaped trips. Like IAD-LHR-EWR-LHR-IAD (with overnight layovers, of course).

I had a friend who was a UA FA and I think she flew EWR-NRT-DEN-NRT-EWR a lot (iirc). Not 100% sure pilots do this too because I think in this case it was because DEN didn't have enough Japanese language speaker FAs.

It's also possible they'd dead-head back to IAD after, of course. Could have asked!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
I think there are a lot of "M"-shaped trips. Like IAD-LHR-EWR-LHR-IAD (with overnight layovers, of course).

I had a friend who was a UA FA and I think she flew EWR-NRT-DEN-NRT-EWR a lot (iirc). Not 100% sure pilots do this too because I think in this case it was because DEN didn't have enough Japanese language speaker FAs.

It's also possible they'd dead-head back to IAD after, of course. Could have asked!
I’ve worked that trip a few times before we merged. FAs flew EWR-NRT-DEN-NRT-EWR. The DEN-NRT-DEN portion was flown by LA based pilots doing LAX-NRT-DEN-NRT-LAX. As for FAs we did quit a few of W pattern trips out of NTA as on the sub CO side DEN flying was domestic flying only no international.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:18 pm

I flew LHR-EWR about a month ago on the 764 and the pilots were based out of IAD (and the crew LHR) — thought it a little odd to have an IAD flight crew fly into EWR (and then presumably have to deadhead back to IAD), especially since I guess there should be way more 757/67 pilots based in EWR than IAD. Also presumably the pilots were sUA, so was interesting to have an all-UA crew on a CO plane.
There are no “sUA” pilots and haven’t been for several years. Same with FAs, as of last fall.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by freshairborne

I have kids, big and small, in my cockpit for pictures on about half the flights I fly. It is not standard, per se, but it is welcomed when the opportunity arises.

FAB
They let big kids up there too.

I remember the first time I saw a 747 as a small child at Stapleton airport in Denver many years ago, and I asked my dad if they really had an upstairs and if we could try it out. He laughed and said maybe one day when you can pay for it yourself. Fast forward almost 3 decades later to 2017 when I took my final United 747 flight. I scored an upgrade on ICN-SFO, and finally got to fly on the top deck. I was so excited to finally enjoy my childhood dream.

I couldn't help myself - I knocked on the cockpit door while we were still at the gate in ICN. I said "excuse me gentlemen, I'm sorry, I do realize I'm a grown man, but it's been my dream to be on the top deck for years. Could I get a picture with you guys?" They all chuckled and smiled, and the Captain said "it was my dream for years too. How about you take my seat and I'll take your picture?" Then he let me sit in the Captain's chair and snapped a picture with my phone.

The was my final 747 flight before Untied retired them. I'll never forget it. What a cool group of aviators!

Last edited by IMissThe747; Mar 7, 2019 at 11:32 pm Reason: accuracy
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I f
Also about halfway through the flight a pilot came on the PA and announced "flight attendants please check in", and repeated that again about 5 minutes later. Same announcement happened ~30 minutes after that as well — so what does "checking in" mean, and why would such an announcement be made? Have never heard that one before in any of my flights.
Somewhere around here there's a post/thread that describes this. Can't seem to find it though.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by TomMM
Somewhere around here there's a post/thread that describes this. Can't seem to find it though.
It's to provide instruction to the FAs after they have been asked to take their jumpseats due to turbulence. Often it's the OK to resume cabin service.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I flew LHR-EWR about a month ago on the 764 and the pilots were based out of IAD (and the crew LHR) — thought it a little odd to have an IAD flight crew fly into EWR (and then presumably have to deadhead back to IAD), especially since I guess there should be way more 757/67 pilots based in EWR than IAD. Also presumably the pilots were sUA, so was interesting to have an all-UA crew on a CO plane.
UAL has a 756 domicile in Washington, but some trips are built that way. It also would not be a good presumption to conclude that the pilots were pre-merger United, since the workgroup has been flying together for the better part of five years and there has been a lot of movement in and out of bases, not to mention quite a bit of hiring.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
thought it a little odd to have an IAD flight crew fly into EWR (and then presumably have to deadhead back to IAD), especially since I guess there should be way more 757/67 pilots based in EWR than IAD.
That's a "W" trip. IAD-LHR-EWR-LHR-IAD.

Widebody schedules change seasonally. It is easier to temporarily move some flying from one domicile to another than it is to transfer pilots back and forth every few months.

Also about halfway through the flight a pilot came on the PA and announced "flight attendants please check in"
That is an instruction for the F/As to check-in with the purser then the purser to check-in with the Captain. It's used after turbulence when the F/As have been told to take their jumpseats or to be seated immediately.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That is an instruction for the F/As to check-in with the purser then the purser to check-in with the Captain. It's used after turbulence when the F/As have been told to take their jumpseats or to be seated immediately.
OP said it was a smooth flight, but I don't think that rules out the above explanation. The flight might have passed through an area where turbulence had been reported, so the captain advised the FAs to take their seats. The check-in afterwards is probably a required part of the procedure even if the plane didn't actually encounter turbulence.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Do any of the pilots on here fly the MAX?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Not right now.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Following up on that, do pilots see a distinction between the -8 and the longer -9? United is apparently making a point in the media that they're the only domestic carrier not flying the -8, the -8 being the aircraft involved in both crashes.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How often do flights get delayed due to clogged toilets?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
How often do flights get delayed due to clogged toilets?
I can't remember ever having a delay over one but I haven't seen clogged toilets written up in aircraft logbooks.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Seen it posted here before but never experienced it until today. Captain gave all of the F passengers his business card with a personalized note. And the card had his Twitter handle. He also used the FA intercom in the cabin to tell us about a ground stop delay, which turned out to only be an hour but he let people get off in the terminal. I didn't because I scored a rare upgrade as a Gold and wanted to enjoy my PDB. It was an awesome crew and flight and I didn't even think about the minor delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.