Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by slippahs
SNIP....
The process was was very clunky today. Boarded all the usual preboards, paused, then asked for 1Ks to board. I heard the GAs asking whether it was worth it because there were “only 7 1Ks.” The 1Ks in the group 1 line bolted for the scanner once 1Ks were asked to board. I was probably the only 1K not to clear thanks to a late booking, and when boarding, the scanner read an error, something about group 4 not being allowed to board. I suppose that’s a function of not being cleared to first and my group reading “1K.”
Dear GAs, just follow the process. No-one asked you to think.
Miggles, pnt1, canadiancow and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:47 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
exactly. With their logic, why even call GS for pre boarding since there’s usually only 2-4 of them? They just need to do their jobs and follow policy.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S.R

exactly. With their logic, why even call GS for pre boarding since there’s usually only 2-4 of them? They just need to do their jobs and follow policy.
And there might not even be any passengers with children under 2 or needing assistance, so let's just skip those altogether!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Bp

HNL.

The process was was very clunky today. Boarded all the usual preboards, paused, then asked for 1Ks to board. I heard the GAs asking whether it was worth it because there were “only 7 1Ks.” The 1Ks in the group 1 line bolted for the scanner once 1Ks were asked to board. I was probably the only 1K not to clear thanks to a late booking, and when boarding, the scanner read an error, something about group 4 not being allowed to board. I suppose that’s a function of not being cleared to first and my group reading “1K.”

Interesting. Just got my App boarding pass for my flight tomorrow and my Group still reads "Group 1". There's an unusually high # of elites on this flight for a Wednesday morning E+ was booked solid over 1.5 months out, middle seats and all. Nothing opened up at T-24 either.
Will update to see what happens, but I suspect this is only 'some' flights out of LAX.

Were you on a 777 out to HNL? Maybe this is only for 'larger' planes?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Tested the new boarding procedure this past week on LAX-HNL (737) and HNL-DEN (777) as an F passenger (Group 1).
For LAX-HNL, I found the signage a little confusing because there was a sign for Group 1 and behind the GA, there was a different sign for Premier 1K, GS, and First Class. The GA directed me to take the farthest lane against the window but then when they did the verbal boarding announcements, they went right from preboarding to GS to 1K to Group 2. Hello?
For HNL-DEN, it was again somewhat confused with a jump directly from 1K preboards to Group 2.
It's hard to say as a Group 1/F passenger whether the new procedure is faster overall but I can say it was a bit confusing. I should get a better feel next month on my next trip as regular Y Group 2.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As a plat, BG1 is one of the remaining perks I feel still holds value. I sense this may be a downgrade in boarding for me.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:40 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
UA 1K flying in Polaris business out of IAH shows boarding group 1 for me.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gold23
As a plat, BG1 is one of the remaining perks I feel still holds value. I sense this may be a downgrade in boarding for me.
Yeah, it seems the only real result of this new pre-boarding stuff is to push Platinums down a notch. Yes, it has First/Business boarding before 1Ks but they don't share the same overhead space so that doesn't really matter. By having 1Ks pre-boarding before Group 1 (apparently only Platinums remain in Group 1), they are just delaying the boarding of us Plats and making it harder for us to assure overhead space at our seats.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycityny
Yeah, it seems the only real result of this new pre-boarding stuff is to push Platinums down a notch. Yes, it has First/Business boarding before 1Ks but they don't share the same overhead space so that doesn't really matter. By having 1Ks pre-boarding before Group 1 (apparently only Platinums remain in Group 1), they are just delaying the boarding of us Plats and making it harder for us to assure overhead space at our seats.
I agree it'd be weird to make group 1 effectively Platinum in Y only, but the vast majority of the time boarding ahead of group 2 will still give you your choice of overhead space. My habit is to arrive late to BG1 regardless of upgraded or not, and except for some particular cases (such as row 7 on 739), overhead space has not been an issue. If there's any effect, it is that sometimes I have to get inventive finding a space in F.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gold23
Without 'real' BG1, I think the best remaining perk of Plat is the ability to match to Alaska 75k....
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zymm
Without 'real' BG1, I think the best remaining perk of Plat is the ability to match to Alaska 75k....
Or Delta 75K. With that status you get Delta Comfort seating shortly after booking. And with Delta Comfort they dedicate overhead space for one's use.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Interesting. Just got my App boarding pass for my flight tomorrow and my Group still reads "Group 1". There's an unusually high # of elites on this flight for a Wednesday morning E+ was booked solid over 1.5 months out, middle seats and all. Nothing opened up at T-24 either.
Will update to see what happens, but I suspect this is only 'some' flights out of LAX.

Were you on a 777 out to HNL? Maybe this is only for 'larger' planes?
nope. 737
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

nope. 737
Waiting for my 737 to IAD. Boarding passes still have Group 1 rather than the ‘1K’ designation you saw. Doesn’t seem that the new boarding process will occur despite getting the text and email that they will.

Unless by new boarding process they mean the lanes 1/2 signs rather than having groups 1,2,3/4/5 lanes.

EDIT: No '1K' group was called. Was just typical Preboarding, then groups 1,2,3,4,5.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Feb 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Tested the new boarding procedure this past week on LAX-HNL (737) and HNL-DEN (777) as an F passenger (Group 1).
For LAX-HNL, I found the signage a little confusing because there was a sign for Group 1 and behind the GA, there was a different sign for Premier 1K, GS, and First Class. The GA directed me to take the farthest lane against the window but then when they did the verbal boarding announcements, they went right from preboarding to GS to 1K to Group 2. Hello?
For HNL-DEN, it was again somewhat confused with a jump directly from 1K preboards to Group 2.
It's hard to say as a Group 1/F passenger whether the new procedure is faster overall but I can say it was a bit confusing. I should get a better feel next month on my next trip as regular Y Group 2.
What do you mean they skipped BG1? Was there an outcry from BG1/Plats? Did they have to cut in front of BG2s? Did the GA correct themselves?

The fact it happened twice at different stations makes me think they programmed the computer wrong. Either that or Plats got lumped into another group (1K or BG2)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Except in almost every blown out of proportion media story we've seen this year involving the airlines, thinking is exactly what they're now being asked to do. Policies and procedures are to blame for the Dr. Dao incident or even the NYT lady who didn't fly home to see her dying relative. Everyone was quick to point out that common sense and thinking would have prevented the blow ups.

So I'd argue that GA's do need to think from time to time, especially because they in a consumer facing role that can be highly unpredictable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.