Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 22, 4:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**
Originally Posted by United

Award ticket redeposit fee removal

All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post

Award service fees

We have removed all redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel so you can have more choice and control over managing your plans.
  • The fees for award travel apply to United, United Express, Star AllianceTM airline partners and other airline partners.
  • Fees apply to each ticket individually. If multiple people are traveling together, there is a fee for each traveler.
  • Fee level is based on the MileagePlus status of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
  • Some award changes may also require additional mileage.
  • Service fees are nonrefundable.
For travel starting on or after January 1, 2023

1 When determining which service fees apply, the number of days before departure is calculated based upon the exact time of the scheduled flight departure.

2 This fee applies to all members and is charged instead of the redeposit fee that applies if canceling before flight departure.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 20, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
What would have been the benefit to UA by not permitting redeposit? Is it so they could cling on to the cash element (taxes)?

Regarding miles, I wouldn't have thought it matter whether they are redeposited to our accounts vs being held against a cancelled ticket. Am I missing something here?
I think they are permitting redeposits if you are willing to pay for it. This might just be a way to get some money from us. However, it is just bad customer relationship (these are your frequent flyers) and can create more work for them over the life of the ticket.

I have figured out my plan. My trip is end of May and the 61 day is approaching. However, everything up to 31 MAY is covered under the waiver now. So, I guess I can move it out and then, in the worst case, still pay the >=61 day fee instead of worrying about it now.
Old Mar 22, 20, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
You might want to use those miles to book something, say, 11 months out.
per my previous post, I got all my miles redeposited for free. Not sure if Plat status had anything to do with it, but just mentioning it for the record.

Originally Posted by username View Post
I think they are permitting redeposits if you are willing to pay for it. This might just be a way to get some money from us. However, it is just bad customer relationship (these are your frequent flyers) and can create more work for them over the life of the ticket.

I have figured out my plan. My trip is end of May and the 61 day is approaching. However, everything up to 31 MAY is covered under the waiver now. So, I guess I can move it out and then, in the worst case, still pay the >=61 day fee instead of worrying about it now.
A few of us got free redeposits yesterday.
49penguins likes this.
Old Mar 22, 20, 2:19 pm

If you've got miles at risk you don't want to lose don't cancel in the app, you'll need a phone rep to do the cancel who will waive the re-deposit fee.

Fun times. After they cancelled my non-stop and turned into a one-stop I tried to cancel via twitter for a refund. Twitter team said I had to pay the re-deposit fee no matter what. I tried to cancel myself but it just errored out. I cancelled it today on the app when it said I could cancel for a re-deposit of 12,500 miles and refund on $5.60. No mention of fees at all, no place to even put in for payment. I clicked confirm cancellation- and it cancelled my flight and errored out in processing a refund and said to call. I called and after much waiting I was passed to a supervisor who said I must pay a re-deposit fee. I said it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the cancellation page. She said I "must pay money". I said no, I wouldn't have cancelled if I had to pay money. She said I agreed to cancel and must pay money to get miles back and that I agreed to these terms and conditions when I bought the ticket. Said I could speak to nobody else because she was the supervisor.

DOT follow up complaint filed obviously (I filed a couple days ago when they refused to refund my cancelled flight due to it's unacceptable alternative). It's only 12.5k miles and is not big deal to me and I definitely knew this was a risk when I clicked cancel because United.

Last edited by 49penguins; Mar 22, 20 at 3:18 pm
Old Mar 22, 20, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I called in a few days ago and was able to get the miles for my award tickets (RT for me and my wife) redeposited without any redeposit fee.

What hasn't yet been refunded are the taxes and associated fees, totaling about $156. What is the general time frame for seeing those fees credited back to the credit card used to pay the fees? If less than a few days, I'm overdue. Any suggestion on how to contact them for this refund?

Note: As gold, short in, it would have cost me $150 to redeposit the miles with the redeposit fee (2 x $75), so its basically a wash, but I'd still like to have the $156 back.

Update: The miles were deposited back (without a fee) within 24 hours of calling; the taxes and other fees came back today (one day after asking for advice), about a week after the miles were deposited.

Last edited by exAMS; Mar 23, 20 at 3:34 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 22, 20, 4:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Apologies if this was already asked, but does anyone know in the current situation if UA will rebook are the same mileage level for a flight further out on the calendar?

Had some family booked to go to Australia in IN, the nonstop from IAH was cancelled and now they have a double connection via SFO. They arent planning on taking the trip anyways because of COVID but Im wondering if theres any flexibility in rebooking since the nonstop was cancelled altogether? In the new world of dynamic pricing I wont be able to rebook them in the 200k/seat UA wants now vs the 80k saver seats they have...
Old Mar 22, 20, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE View Post
Apologies if this was already asked, but does anyone know in the current situation if UA will rebook are the same mileage level for a flight further out on the calendar?

Had some family booked to go to Australia in IN, the nonstop from IAH was cancelled and now they have a double connection via SFO. They arent planning on taking the trip anyways because of COVID but Im wondering if theres any flexibility in rebooking since the nonstop was cancelled altogether? In the new world of dynamic pricing I wont be able to rebook them in the 200k/seat UA wants now vs the 80k saver seats they have...
Technically, no, but it's worth asking about. Accommodation, ignoring fare differences, due to the schedule change is allowed within a couple of days of the canceled flight, but not more than that. However, you might get an agent in a good mood.
Old Mar 24, 20, 11:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Technically, no, but it's worth asking about. Accommodation, ignoring fare differences, due to the schedule change is allowed within a couple of days of the canceled flight, but not more than that. However, you might get an agent in a good mood.
Thanks for the info! I figured but wanted to check, will see what they end up wanting to do with their trip.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver/MM, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
UA revised the website to offer canceling an award flight with the option of rebooking later with no fee, rather than only offering cancelling and redeposit for a fee. When I looked last night at my 2 trips, each was clearly identified as qualifying for this option. You have to rebook by Dec 31, 2020 or by one year after the original booking date, whichever is earlier. I would have preferred a redeposit, but I was not willing to pay a fee, as the 2 award tickets were only 7000 and 5000 miles each (Hawaii inter-island on HA and intra-Japan on NH).
Old Mar 24, 20, 4:03 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Thai cancelled my ticket, UA refuses to redeposit miles unless I pay $125....knew it was a gamble dealing with United. Oh well, they have lost most of my business anyways. Hope I can rebook sometime in the future in anything ever goes back to normal.
Old Mar 24, 20, 4:36 pm

Just tried to get redeposit fees waved for an award booking and got a hard "no" from the agent.

What are people doing to get the redeposit fee waved? HUCA until you get a lucky agent? Did you wait to cancel until your flights were actually impacted? I have flights from PDX to MAD for mid-May, both one ways, and I'm not thrilled about eating $500 just to get my miles back. So far I haven't had any schedule changes, and obviously there's lots of time before May. But with people reporting redeposit waive success stories I figured I'd try.
Old Mar 24, 20, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
I got a free redeposit on my second call asking. However, my flights were completely cancelled (SA stopped flying all international). I have Plat status...no idea if that made any difference.
Old Mar 24, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I'm in the same boat. TG cancelled. UA refusing to refund miles and taxes without paying fee. (Via twitter).

I didn't read this whole thread yet, but don't we have the law on our side? If filed complaint with DOT wouldn't we eventually get miles and taxes refunded?

Originally Posted by RS250Racer View Post
Thai cancelled my ticket, UA refuses to redeposit miles unless I pay $125....knew it was a gamble dealing with United. Oh well, they have lost most of my business anyways. Hope I can rebook sometime in the future in anything ever goes back to normal.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon View Post
I didn't read this whole thread yet, but don't we have the law on our side? If filed complaint with DOT wouldn't we eventually get miles and taxes refunded?
I think the law is clearly on the side of the passenger in this case. I suggest that you file a DOT complaint and see report back what happens. It only takes about ten minutes.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Would you cancel it first and dispute with DOT then? OR, not cancel and dispute on the fact that UA is refusing to refund? Not sure of the order here.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I think the law is clearly on the side of the passenger in this case. I suggest that you file a DOT complaint and see report back what happens. It only takes about ten minutes.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL GM
Asiana cancelled my flight on my award ticket and I'm being told no award redeposit without a fee of $125 per passenger, or you take their "credit" of 1 year.

Edit: I spoke with a "supervisor" who without permission cancelled my ticket and told me to get a refund I needed to go to united.com/refunds. What in the actual hell?

Last edited by idiosyncrasy; Mar 24, 20 at 10:50 pm

Search this Thread