Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards



8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**


Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html


Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:47 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by jsloan
I’ve had some weirdnesses with Thai in the past. If they do use the same system as EVA, and it shows OK in EVA’s system, it will show OK in Thai’s system also, so I wouldn’t stress over that. (There are a few major systems used by most large airlines, and I couldn’t remember which ones EVA and Thai use).
My first flight ( Thai Airways) can be seen on EVA website, but not all details is listed compared the second flight (EVA) . I can see our name , flight number, date departure and date arrival with airport code are listed. No e -ticket number nor what is status of ticket. So, I am not sure whether this flight (BKK -TPE) are O.K or not .
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:12 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,305
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
My first flight ( Thai Airways) can be seen on EVA website, but not all details is listed compared the second flight (EVA) . I can see our name , flight number, date departure and date arrival with airport code are listed. No e -ticket number nor what is status of ticket. So, I am not sure whether this flight (BKK -TPE) are O.K or not .
EVA and TG both use Amadeus as their reservation software, however depending how linked they are, might only confirm their own flights. My experience with Thai is their system doesnt lookup very well by etkt number. Are you using the 6 character amadeus PNR on the Thai website to check that flight status with them( since you mention using the ticket number to access it on EVA)?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:20 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
EVA and TG both use Amadeus as their reservation software, however depending how linked they are, might only confirm their own flights. My experience with Thai is their system doesnt lookup very well by etkt number. Are you using the 6 character amadeus PNR on the Thai website to check that flight status with them( since you mention using the ticket number to access it on EVA)?
I use PRN to access my flight status on Thai Airways . Since, I am not sure what is my e-ticket # with Thai Airways so I have not tried log in with it yet.
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:09 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
To update:

I contact EVA at LAX office, waiting on the phone for more than 4 hrs and finally I am connected to EVA live agent at 4:45pm . She confirms our award tickets on her system and send me my flight itinerary with EVA as proof . She told me that, she can not resend another confirmation message to United . I do not know the reason why and she does not explain further.

I log in my United account and my ticket is no longer waitlisted . And I have not received a second email from United to notify me of status change of my tickets . So, my flight with EVA is O.K now .

I still can not log in with Thai Airway yet, will try to call Thai Airway office tomorrow . It seems that Thai Airways has only 1 office at LAX (800) 767-3598 and that office is closed at 4:30pm .
I just hope tomorrow, I will have a better luck, not waiting too long to be connected to a live agent .

Thank you ALL for spending your time to answer my many questions, and help me thru this ordeal with a happy result.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and JayhawkCO like this.
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:26 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,305
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
To update:

I contact EVA at LAX office, waiting on the phone for more than 4 hrs and finally I am connected to EVA live agent at 4:45pm . She confirms our award tickets on her system and send me my flight itinerary with EVA as proof . She told me that, she can not resend another confirmation message to United . I do not know the reason why and she does not explain further.

I log in my United account and my ticket is no longer waitlisted . And I have not received a second email from United to notify me of status change of my tickets . So, my flight with EVA is O.K now .

I still can not log in with Thai Airway yet, will try to call Thai Airway office tomorrow . It seems that Thai Airways has only 1 office at LAX (800) 767-3598 and that office is closed at 4:30pm .
I just hope tomorrow, I will have a better luck, not waiting too long to be connected to a live agent .

Thank you ALL for spending your time to answer my many questions, and help me thru this ordeal with a happy result.
Glad it worked out and that pesky waitlist segment finally switched to confirmed

With regards to pulling up the Thai reservation. When you pull up your reservation on united.com under My Trips, there should be a header at the top saying EVA Airways confirmation number. Use that one, and not the United one on the Thai airways website and it should pull up the reservation there too.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:11 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Glad it worked out and that pesky waitlist segment finally switched to confirmed

With regards to pulling up the Thai reservation. When you pull up your reservation on united.com under My Trips, there should be a header at the top saying EVA Airways confirmation number. Use that one, and not the United one on the Thai airways website and it should pull up the reservation there too.
I use the PRN of EVA to check on Thai airways website, but unable to go further for some unknow reason . Still no luck .
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:48 pm
  #82  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 14,949
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I use the PRN of EVA to check on Thai airways website, but unable to go further for some unknow reason . Still no luck .
To be clear, it's not an 'EVA' PNR (and you keep saying PRN, but you mean PNR...which stands for Passenger Name Record), it's the Amadeus PNR....both EVA and TG use Amadeus as their reservation system (as do many *A carriers, it's meant to be the 'preferred' system encouraged to be used by *A carriers, but UA decided against going to it in favor of their own SHARES system - pre-merger UA was planning to move to Amadeus but that got scrapped after the merger, IIRC).

Every time you have a reservation on a carrier that uses Amadeus for their reservations/PSS (no matter if they are within the alliance or not), that PNR remains the same for all carriers with flights on the record. If you have a segment on Thai and EVA, as you do, that number will remain the same. UA being on a separate system, and in your case, as the carrier that ticketed the reservation, has their own PNR which is different.

If the PNR is valid on EVA, and shows the segment, but not on Thai, there is an issue somewhere. Very likely with the Thai display, or something similar, but it's something that you should look into. If it is not correct in Thai's system, you likely won't be able to board (and will have a long, stressful and potentially frustrating time at the airport trying to get it sorted out - which may work out in your favor.....or may not). Better to get it taken care of now where you have time to get it sorted, vs. at the airport where time is much more of an issue.

TG used to have an office in LA, and I found the agents there, at least in the past, were pretty helpful at sorting out issues - I'm not sure if that office/call center is still open. I'd definitely call Thai and confirm the info. in their system matches what it should. Probably a good idea to call whatever number they have for the US (or use Skype/Google Voice or whatever you prefer to make international calls, if you need to) to call Thai and make sure everything is confirmed on their end. Have the PNR (the Amadeus one - same as the EVA one), 016 United ticket number, and your name exactly as it is listed on the ticket - they may simply be able to look up by flight number and name but I'm not positive. Make sure it is confirmed. If not, it may take some more going back and forth. But as said above, better to do what needs to be done to sort it out now than at the last minute.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:54 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by emcampbe
To be clear, it's not an 'EVA' PNR (and you keep saying PRN, but you mean PNR...which stands for Passenger Name Record), it's the Amadeus PNR....both EVA and TG use Amadeus as their reservation system (as do many *A carriers, it's meant to be the 'preferred' system encouraged to be used by *A carriers, but UA decided against going to it in favor of their own SHARES system - pre-merger UA was planning to move to Amadeus but that got scrapped after the merger, IIRC).

Every time you have a reservation on a carrier that uses Amadeus for their reservations/PSS (no matter if they are within the alliance or not), that PNR remains the same for all carriers with flights on the record. If you have a segment on Thai and EVA, as you do, that number will remain the same. UA being on a separate system, and in your case, as the carrier that ticketed the reservation, has their own PNR which is different.

If the PNR is valid on EVA, and shows the segment, but not on Thai, there is an issue somewhere. Very likely with the Thai display, or something similar, but it's something that you should look into. If it is not correct in Thai's system, you likely won't be able to board (and will have a long, stressful and potentially frustrating time at the airport trying to get it sorted out - which may work out in your favor.....or may not). Better to get it taken care of now where you have time to get it sorted, vs. at the airport where time is much more of an issue.

TG used to have an office in LA, and I found the agents there, at least in the past, were pretty helpful at sorting out issues - I'm not sure if that office/call center is still open. I'd definitely call Thai and confirm the info. in their system matches what it should. Probably a good idea to call whatever number they have for the US (or use Skype/Google Voice or whatever you prefer to make international calls, if you need to) to call Thai and make sure everything is confirmed on their end. Have the PNR (the Amadeus one - same as the EVA one), 016 United ticket number, and your name exactly as it is listed on the ticket - they may simply be able to look up by flight number and name but I'm not positive. Make sure it is confirmed. If not, it may take some more going back and forth. But as said above, better to do what needs to be done to sort it out now than at the last minute.
Thanks for clarification about PRN .

I contact Thai airways office in LAX today 1-800-767-3598 , and the greeting saying their office is closed now, and the message saying the operating hour M-F is 6:00pm to 5:00pm. It is strange that ,I call at 2:00pm today and hearing it is closed. I do not know whether the location is actually open and in business or it is actually closed its door. I also notice that both offices ( LAX and Montreal Canada) using the same phone number .

Does anyone has an working email of Thai airways. I would like to send an email to this airline to confirm my flight and also to request wheel chair assistance for my elderly . I have request wheel chair assistance thru United, but want make sure it is noted ( in my flight) with Thai airway .
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:31 pm
  #84  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Thanks for clarification about PRN .

I contact Thai airways office in LAX today 1-800-767-3598 , and the greeting saying their office is closed now, and the message saying the operating hour M-F is 6:00pm to 5:00pm. It is strange that ,I call at 2:00pm today and hearing it is closed. I do not know whether the location is actually open and in business or it is actually closed its door. I also notice that both offices ( LAX and Montreal Canada) using the same phone number .

Does anyone has an working email of Thai airways. I would like to send an email to this airline to confirm my flight and also to request wheel chair assistance for my elderly . I have request wheel chair assistance thru United, but want make sure it is noted ( in my flight) with Thai airway .
This may turn out to be as unsuccessful as using the THAI web site, but have you tried using the THAI smartphone app? Some airlines sometimes have easier access via their apps.

Also, I kind of speed-read through some of the responses you've received, but I believe you were told that the e-ticket # will be the same for the TG & BR flights. Try that e-ticket # on the app, as well.
wpcoe is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:39 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Under the Cone of Silence
Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Posts: 1,507
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Have to have XN available to do a no-cost SDC.
Don't have high hopes for that, best we can probably expect is to get to the gate at ORD and try to get on as standbys into those highly coveted E- middles!
Don't think I ever reported back our experience on this--
1. Originally were booked in XN ORF-ORD-SFO with a long layover in ORD, earlier flight out of ORD was higher mileage as a YN fare, so hoping to only standby for the earlier flight.
2. While enroute to ORF, saw that our ORD-SFO flight was cancelled.
3. Got to ORF, checkin agent was able to put us on the earlier ORD-SFO flight at no mileage or $ cost due to the cancellation, but could only put us in separate E- seats since flight otherwise full.
4. But the change apparently converted fare code into a revenue status (but no we did NOT receive any miles for the trip), so we actually appeared on the upgrade waitlist (but way down).
5. Through obsessive refreshing of the seatmap, I ultimately moved us into E+ seats, albeit separate ones. At ORD while quickly heading to our gate (now a very short connection time), as upgrades got processed a couple of adjacent PE seats opened up, which I was able to grab.
6. After boarding and getting settled in, I saw that I was now #1 on the UG list, but it said F was now full. Just before doors closed, I get an upgrade notification and I see the GA heading our way. I point to my wife and motion to the GA that she will be moving up, GA nods, hands her the BP, and I move into her PE seat as she heads forward. New seatmate tells me that she saw some irate passenger at the desk that had apparently been offloaded for being late. Interesting.......
7. As an added fun fact, I later saw that our original ORD-SFO flight didn't ultimately cancel, but only temporarily and then got resurrected with a new flight number, and we were just lucky that our changes were made during the brief cancelled window.
So in the end, we ended up in our original E+ seats ORF-ORD, then 1 PE and 1 Polaris seat for ORD-SFO. And all for I think just under 10K miles per ticket. Good day all around.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Maxwell Smart is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:07 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
Final update :

Today, I contact LAX Thai Airways office again at 8:00am and connects to a live agent after 10 minutes waiting time . So, I can confirm that Thai Airways office at LAX is still open and in business. However, I suggest that if anyone needs to contact Thai airways, should make a call early in the morning, not in the afternoon.

She confirm our flight segment ( BKK -TPE) and send us the flight itinerary from Thai Airways' system. And notes that my request wheel chair assistance for my elderly.

She also tells me that if I log in Thai Airway, use United confirmation number, not EVA #. With her on the line, I try log in again and still can not get in Thai airway website . Currently, there is problem with Thai Airway's website , which can prevent pasenger to log in .

Thanks again for ALL your help. I am now on set with my flight home from Bangkok - US .
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by vnfilm1; Mar 24, 2023 at 9:42 am
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:29 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Doylestown, PA, USA
Programs: UA 1k Marriott Titanium
Posts: 555
So lets say I have excursionist perk booking

March 15 MUC-EWR (60k business saver)
April 15 EWR-SFO (Free business saver)
May 15 SFO-FRA (30k economy saver)

Can I refund the last leg ?? and if I do that do I have to wait until a certain date?

Refunding the 3rd leg of an excursionist perk is .. interesting?
ytjk is offline  
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:15 pm
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,817
Originally Posted by ytjk
So lets say I have excursionist perk booking

March 15 MUC-EWR (60k business saver)
April 15 EWR-SFO (Free business saver)
May 15 SFO-FRA (30k economy saver)

Can I refund the last leg ??
Only prior to traveling the first leg, at which point it will reprice as MUC-EWR + EWR-SFO. (If these dates are accurate, that deadline would already have passed).

Absent a significant delay or cancellation, you cannot refund a partially-used award United award ticket. That was the rule even before the ExPerk. And if you could, they'd reprice for what you actually flew. UA isn't stupid.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:21 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 168
UA Cancellation

Correct me if Im wrong, but if I book an international United award flight on United metal (EWR to SJO), I can cancel anytime online before the flight, without any fee or penalty, and get the award miles redeposited back into my account automatically ? Will any taxes as fee be refunded to the credit card or do they go as a United credit?

Thank you for the clarification.
ContinentalSilver11 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:40 am
  #90  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,817
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
Correct me if Im wrong, but if I book an international United award flight on United metal (EWR to SJO), I can cancel anytime online before the flight, without any fee or penalty, and get the award miles redeposited back into my account automatically ? Will any taxes as fee be refunded to the credit card or do they go as a United credit?

Thank you for the clarification.
You can cancel a MileagePlus award anytime before departure* of the first segment for a full refund, including taxes back to the original form of payment.. Any money spent to purchase additional miles -- which will show up during the purchase process if you have insufficient miles in your account** -- is not refundable. You can even refund them after departure, but you'll be charged $125.

* technically, before you're marked a no-show for the flight. Generally, I'd recommend cancelling at least an hour prior to departure for an international flight.
** assuming the number of miles needed is small enough that they don't exceed the MileagePlus mile purchase limit for the year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.