Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by O62
Hi everyone, two questions:

1. On Cdg-iad-ord-cle award where CDG-IAD is in I (business) and the rest are in economy. There is availability in X for IAD-CMH. Is this a simple call and change with no price increase?

2. On BRU-IAD-CVG where BRU-IAD is in I on SN and Iad-cvg is in X on UA. There is now PN space on Iad-cvg (originally there it was a 1 class plane). Can this be changed to F without a reprice or does the SN segment pose an issue?
1. Probably not; awards are priced from origin to destination. UA may decide to charge you whatever the going rate is for CDG-CMH.
2. PN is an upgrade class, not an award class. Did you mean IN, and you're Platinum or higher? Either way, yes, you likely need fresh I inventory on BRU-IAD to make this change.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jsloan
[...] awards are priced from origin to destination. UA may decide to charge you whatever the going rate is for CDG-CMH.
[...]
Thank you for your knowledge sharing. Certainly I appreciate it.

It's of little importance, but I'm confused and trying to learn. I had an award flight AMS-ORD-xxx in Polaris AMS-ORD and a single cabin aircraft ORD-xxx. The equipment was changed for the ORD-xxx leg to an aircraft with a first class cabin. I asked FlyerTalk if I was eligible to get moved to the front of the plane for that second leg, and I thought it was you that said yes. (It took repeated calls to United, but I did get moved.)

What was different about my award flight compared to O62's award flight?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens

It's of little importance, but I'm confused and trying to learn. I had an award flight AMS-ORD-xxx in Polaris AMS-ORD and a single cabin aircraft ORD-xxx. The equipment was changed for the ORD-xxx leg to an aircraft with a first class cabin. I asked FlyerTalk if I was eligible to get moved to the front of the plane for that second leg, and I thought it was you that said yes. (It took repeated calls to United, but I did get moved.)

I remember that. Since it happened, UA has gotten progressively stingier about this sort of thing.

That said: the first O62 is asking about involves a change of destination. The second flight, which seems like it might have been a closer analogue to your flight, (a) wasn't clear if there's actually award space available on the short-haul flight, and (b) involved a partner segment. The partner segment, in particular, is key -- UA, in most cases, will not reissue an award flight involving a partner segment unless that segment is still available in the booked class. There have been too many occasions when passengers lost their award flight because the other airline refused to honor the re-ticketed reservation. (More to the point -- UA's systems don't seem to be particularly good at getting those airlines the updated ticket information).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by serpens

which case are you talking about.

in O62’s first case, they want to change destination from CLE to CMH. In the old days, it wouldn’t be an issue based on opening of additional inventory on one segment. For the past few years, award inventory is based on married segments, meaning that it isn’t about the last segment, but whether inventory is available on a CDG-CMH city paid with those segments. It might be, it might not, but availability in the final segment alone is not a determination of that - in fact, it could also be the other way around, where inventory doesn’t open on that single segment, but does on the overall O-D pair using those flights.

in the second case, O62’s travel begins on a partner carrier, and UA has no control over that space. On UAs own flights, they can leave you in the originally booked fare class and change just the second segment based on the upgraded cabin, if the right space is indeed available (which is still not determined, as O62 just commented on upgrade space, not award), but even if award space is available, UA needs to rebook the whole thing, including the partner segment they aren’t trying to change, and UA can not hold them in the space they sit in now on a partner. So if that availability isn’t there, they can not keep it. I suspect the I space on a TATL is much more a priority than the short last hop, so there is no reason one would want to risk losing that.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I remember that. Since it happened, UA has gotten progressively stingier about this sort of thing.
[...]
Thanks for the quick response. Apparently I got in just under the wire with my change; thanks for your encouragement at the time.
[...]
That said: the first O62 is asking about involves a change of destination. [...]
Originally Posted by emcampbe
[...]
in O62’s first case, they want to change destination from CLE to CMH. [...]
Rookie mistake. I missed the change of destination on the first question.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:23 pm

Smile Basic Question on MIleageplus Award Redeposit Fees

Sorry for the rather basic question, as I want to be clear on this new policy, but I am looking at booking a one way flight using Mileageplus miles but haven't confirmed the date exactly.
If I booked two different one way flights using miles, I can cancel either of them up to the last minute without any fees or problems and the miles will go back into my account free?

is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
Sorry for the rather basic question, as I want to be clear on this new policy, but I am looking at booking a one way flight using Mileageplus miles but haven't confirmed the date exactly.
If I booked two different one way flights using miles, I can cancel either of them up to the last minute without any fees or problems and the miles will go back into my account free?

is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
UA has a system in place to see if you book overlapping flights that would be impossible for you to take. Not sure if that’s your situation but something to watch for, since they will cancel one of them if that’s the case
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No redeposit fees but as mentioned booking multiple flights with the intent of only flying is a T&Cs violation. If the OW flight dates are multiple days apart, you will probably will not get flagged.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
UA has a system in place to see if you book overlapping flights that would be impossible for you to take. Not sure if that’s your situation but something to watch for, since they will cancel one of them if that’s the case
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No redeposit fees but as mentioned booking multiple flights with the intent of only flying is a T&Cs violation. If the OW flight dates are multiple days apart, you will probably will not get flagged.
I plan to book the same one way flight but about a 5 days apart and then cancel the one I dont need.
I will probably have a finalized date more than a month out though. That should be ok right?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I plan to book the same one way flight but about a 5 days apart and then cancel the one I dont need.
I will probably have a finalized date more than a month out though. That should be ok right?
In the sense you will not get caught, probably yes.

It is still a T&C violation and will remove potential award inventory from others. But you will not be the first to do this. and likely increased with dropping of fees
jsloan and spacemanvt like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the sense you will not get caught, probably yes.

It is still a T&C violation and will remove potential award inventory from others. But you will not be the first to do this. and likely increased with dropping of fees
Thanks for the info, I plan to cancel the unneeded flight in the next few days anyways. Just trying to firm up my plans.
Do all the taxes and fees on the flights get refunded as well? Regardless of when you cancel it?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks for the info, I plan to cancel the unneeded flight in the next few days anyways. Just trying to firm up my plans.
Do all the taxes and fees on the flights get refunded as well? Regardless of when you cancel it?
full refund
SPN Lifer and spacemanvt like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:32 pm

thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Now that UA recently devalued TATL & TPAC redemptions, will additional miles be required upon date change of an existing (Pre-June 2023) partner(BR) reservation? Didn't see any recent datapoints on this but wanted to know if anyone's done this recently, thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gpen1827
Now that UA recently devalued TATL & TPAC redemptions, will additional miles be required upon date change of an existing (Pre-June 2023) partner(BR) reservation? Didn't see any recent datapoints on this but wanted to know if anyone's done this recently, thanks.
voluntary changes will re-price. Involuntary changes will get an 'even exchange'
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.