Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Close to zero.

For those following at home, the full inventory listing is: J6 C6 D0 Z0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0
I figured... Oh well ... Im already booked on AS/HU SEA-ORD-PEK with a crappy redeye to ORD and a 8hr layover there. I was hoping to get a more direct routing via SFO on UA.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm guessing OP meant "neither has first." I've yet to see a report of anyone being dropped down to Y, and, if it happened, I'd expect UA to have a good bit of flexibility to get them back into J.
No, the SYD-BKK segment is still in F, but the BKK-HKG segment is now in J instead of F, not Y.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed, and I'd expect it to be on the new award chart, not the older one. And, even then, it might be difficult if there's no longer any F award inventory on the SYD-BKK sector.
That's a bummer. I'll call and see what they say. There is F availability on the BKK-Tokyo segment I want to move to, but based on what you said I'd be charged additional mileage to move to this segment.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:58 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
BKK-NRT on 10Apr as one-way search shows non-stop TG676 at 735a 345p with Saver Award available

BKK-NRT on 10Apr and
NRT-NYC on 11Apr as multiple-city search shows same flight for BKK-NRT with Saver Award available

BKK-NRT on 10Apr and
NRT-NYC on 11Apr and
NYC-BKK on 19Apr as multiple-city search does NOT offer TG676 for BKK-NRT

Why is that?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Can you book NYC-AKL on 1 award ticket? UA's website never returns any results when looking up 'I am flexible' results...I feel like this is one of the rare routes where standard business awards might actually be worth the value.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Can you book NYC-AKL on 1 award ticket? UA's website never returns any results when looking up 'I am flexible' results...I feel like this is one of the rare routes where standard business awards might actually be worth the value.
I'm seeing the same thing... the calendar appears to not be functioning properly because it does not show the saver award economy there, yet it is available if you click on the date on the calendar... for example - May 25 departure from NYC for 15 days on the 'I am flexible' search... nothing indicated on the 25th, but it is available in economy.... weird.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1984SW
BKK-NRT on 10Apr as one-way search shows non-stop TG676 at 735a 345p with Saver Award available

BKK-NRT on 10Apr and
NRT-NYC on 11Apr as multiple-city search shows same flight for BKK-NRT with Saver Award available

BKK-NRT on 10Apr and
NRT-NYC on 11Apr and
NYC-BKK on 19Apr as multiple-city search does NOT offer TG676 for BKK-NRT

Why is that?
The multi-city search often fails to return all legal awards. If you call, you should be able to book it. However, note that you will be charged the same number of miles as you would for three one-way awards unless the flight combination that you want shows up on a 10Apr BKK-NYC search (in which case, that's how you should request it) -- even if the stop in NRT is less than 24 hours.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Yes, absolutely you can, if there are tickets available.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm seeing the same thing... the calendar appears to not be functioning properly because it does not show the saver award economy there, yet it is available if you click on the date on the calendar... for example - May 25 departure from NYC for 15 days on the 'I am flexible' search... nothing indicated on the 25th, but it is available in economy.... weird.
Right. The calendar search doesn't always function particularly well. Searching day-by-day should show results.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:23 pm
BCH

I randomly checked my international award booking, which had been ticketed last August and noticed that the first flight (transatlantic, on United) had disappeared. Not a trace. I called United, and after 20 minutes, the agent said that she had replicated the initerary and that it would be emailed within minutes.

When the email arrived, it showed that my now-reinstated flight would land in Europe 5 minutes *after* the connecting flight would depart. Oops.

Called back and it took an additional 61 minutes to resolve. Ouch.

Don't know (and no one could tell me) why my initial flight disappeared in the first place.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BCH
... Don't know (and no one could tell me) why my initial flight disappeared in the first place.
Is the original flight still on the schedule? With same flight number?
Was it a partner flight?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Anyone having issues booking Thai awards lately? Trying to book award flights to/from BKK and any itinerary with a TG leg keeps erroring out, even though website shows availability. I've never had an issue before booking award itineraries with TG legs.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by JLSocks
Anyone having issues booking Thai awards lately? Trying to book award flights to/from BKK and any itinerary with a TG leg keeps erroring out, even though website shows availability. I've never had an issue before booking award itineraries with TG legs.
Not just for TG, but for SQ as well. First time experiencing this also. Been going on for a few days now.

Had to resort to booking over the phone Agent was able to grab the flights I wanted but was having a bit of trouble pricing out the miles & tax.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Where are "First Everyday Awards?"

I'm seeking to redeem O award HNL-NRT and can't find a single seat available on UA's site in dates in October or even January. I checked with a CSR, who confirmed that seats were available for purchase. I also checked for O inventory SFO-LHR, and none were available.

What gives? I thought O awards are supposed to be last-seat available. I've logged in using my account, I have a UA credit card, and I am Gold. Have the rules changed?

A second question: I am currently on a two OZ flights HNL-ICN-NRT. I am waitlisted for J in UA. Can I simultaneously waitlist in O? I think not, but just checking..

Many thanks for your learned advice!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm seeking to redeem O award HNL-NRT and can't find a single seat available on UA's site in dates in October or even January. I checked with a CSR, who confirmed that seats were available for purchase. I also checked for O inventory SFO-LHR, and none were available.

What gives? I thought O awards are supposed to be last-seat available. I've logged in using my account, I have a UA credit card, and I am Gold. Have the rules changed?
It's last seat available on economy at the Everyday Award price point for all Premier members with UA operated flights.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

You have the wrong booking code - if you want last-seat availability you're looking for FN space, not O, and it will be expensive.

A second question: I am currently on a two OZ flights HNL-ICN-NRT. I am waitlisted for J in UA. Can I simultaneously waitlist in O? I think not, but just checking
No, one waitlisted alternative per confirmed segment(s).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what the CSR was looking at. When I search for HNL-NRT in that timeframe, I see F0 J9 on every flight. This is almost certainly a result of UA removing the ability to purchase first-class tickets as they anticipate retrofitting the remaining fleet to remove the first-class cabin. Now, I'm not saying the retrofit will be complete by then, or that you'll get an updated plane -- I think this is just UA keeping their options open.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:49 pm

Excursionist Perk on Rewards

YYZ-IST
IKA-CAI This segment is NOT priced as excursionist perk.
ATH-YYZ

Does anyone can provide an explanation? Or other suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.