Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:30 am

Customer Appreciation

Just got off of UA297 which was delayed almost 14 hours. We were supposed to arrive last night around 8:45 pm and we arrived this morning around 10:15 am We got an email from customer appreciation. They are offering 8750 miles or $175 ecert. My issue is that on my Tuesday flight I got the exact same email after the entertainment system wasn't working and they offered 10000 miles or $200 ecert. This just seems so off to me. A 14 hour delay is much worse for me than missing out on watching movies during a flight. Is there anything I should/could do about this?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by metermaid33
Just got off of UA297 which was delayed almost 14 hours. We were supposed to arrive last night around 8:45 pm and we arrived this morning around 10:15 am We got an email from customer appreciation. They are offering 8750 miles or $175 ecert. My issue is that on my Tuesday flight I got the exact same email after the entertainment system wasn't working and they offered 10000 miles or $200 ecert. This just seems so off to me. A 14 hour delay is much worse for me than missing out on watching movies during a flight. Is there anything I should/could do about this?
Reallocate internally and credit $75 to the entertainment fail and $300 to the delay. That sounds pretty decent to me.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
ORD-DFW on a CPU last week.
Non-functional power outlet in 2E/F, but other seats in F working fine. Reported to customer care as an FYI (I opted to sleep instead of work).

Today received a "thank you for letting us know" and $100 ETC.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:10 am

Had an absolutely filthy plane flying home last week Honolulu - Newark. took pictures of the food all over the floor, filthy trays, etc. I was first offered a $75.00 E Cert and now they say I can have 5000 miles instead. Neither seems like a great option. I am horrible at figuring out which is the better value. Which should I take or should I push the issue and if so to whom? We are not talking about crumbs on the floor but whole chunks of food.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PegV420
Had an absolutely filthy plane flying home last week Honolulu - Newark. took pictures of the food all over the floor, filthy trays, etc. I was first offered a $75.00 E Cert and now they say I can have 5000 miles instead. Neither seems like a great option. I am horrible at figuring out which is the better value. Which should I take or should I push the issue and if so to whom? We are not talking about crumbs on the floor but whole chunks of food.
They usually price the miles at 2 cents each for these offers - so it would typically be $100 or 5000 miles. So in your case, the miles offer is relatively higher and I would take it. That said, it still depends on which you will be able to make better use of. Some of us are better able to use the miles than others.

UA does a terrible job of cleaning its aircraft, that's actually the biggest reason I fly *A partners when I can. If I were going to push this issue, it would not be with an eye to additional compensation, but in the hope that they might do something about the problem. If that's your goal, you could write to the executive team.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:57 am

Flight Attendant spilt a drink on me...

My wife had a drink dropped on her tray table. It splashed into her face and dropped down onto her purse.

She isnt one to complain, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience alerting United about something like this and asking (and receiving) compensation
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I once quite literally had a FA spill a glass of milk on me. She looked worried as to how I would react, but I told her I wasn't going to cry.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
I once quite literally had a FA spill a glass of milk on me. She looked worried as to how I would react, but I told her I wasn't going to cry.
good one.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
My wife had a drink dropped on her tray table. It splashed into her face and dropped down onto her purse.

She isnt one to complain, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience alerting United about something like this and asking (and receiving) compensation
What was spilled? Water or something that might require cleaning? Do you have any cleaning bills?
Quantity -- a few splashes or significant quantity?
What did the FA say or offer?

A few splashes of water, I would not do anything. A glass of wine on my clothes, I would expect compensation of my cleaning bill and some inconvenience consideration.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What was spilled? Water or something that might require cleaning? Do you have any cleaning bills?
Quantity -- a few splashes or significant quantity?
What did the FA say or offer?

A few splashes of water, I would not do anything. A glass of wine on my clothes, I would expect compensation of my cleaning bill and some inconvenience consideration.
It was a whole can of ginger ale. The purse was very wet, but was not expensive. Not worth having it cleaned.

The FA was apologetic, but nothing more than a couple of "im so sorry"

Silver status, what avenue should I use to complain?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
It was a whole can of ginger ale. The purse was very wet, but was not expensive. Not worth having it cleaned.

The FA was apologetic, but nothing more than a couple of "im so sorry"

Silver status, what avenue should I use to complain?
You could use the webform to contact customer care.

I'm curious why you would complain . . . was it not an accident?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:21 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I thought the 5000 miles would be the best way to go.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The purser should have provided an appreciate form. On the old form, "Spilled drink" was one of the options.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
3/3 scheduled to fly BOS - EWR - SNA

BOS-EWR delayed due to mechanical issues
Arrived at EWR 8:15am. Departure to SNA scheduled for 8:30am however when I made it to the gate the boarding door was closed as they pushed back early.

Rebook #1 via gate agent EWR/LAX (flight delayed due to ATC)
Rebook #2 via 1k line EWR/DEN/SNA (flight to DEN delayed. Rebooked again as would have missed connection to SNA)
Rebook #3 EWR/SFO/SNA (flight to SFO delayed due to wind also would have missed connection to SNA)
Rebook #4 EWR/LAX (delayed 40 minutes due to ATC. Arrived into CA 7 hours later than planned)

Requested $400 voucher via email rec'd $300

Last edited by blacke61; Mar 8, 2017 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Wifi not working on the new 77W today...email hit about 30 minutes before landing offering $200 or 10k miles. Appreciate the proactiveness, even if I wasn't planning on using it in-flight.

Took the cash (might be able to make the miles add up to something more, but I prefer cold hard $$)...if I redeem an e-cert, that still counts towards PQD right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.