Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
SJU to IAH on 763, 4.hour flight, offered $333 to F OR E+ (PP seats) $153.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:31 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Good morning and Merry Christmas!
I am holding coach tickets at 70,000 miles each. The same tickets are now available as a saver award (40,000 miles).

If I change to the saver award, am I in any way reducing my chances of being offered a decent cash upgrade between now and check in? A cash upgrade has not been offered yet but I keep checking.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No. Cash upgrade offers don't depend on your current fare class (in the same cabin).
Ericka and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:49 pm

I'm flying from HKG to SFO next month. Originally bought K class economy and thought I would try a MUA into Polaris with 30k miles plus $600 copay.

However, I saw the PP upsell was only $287 for this 12+ hours flight. Isn't this a great deal? Has anyone seen an even lower PP upsell ask for this route?
As a Premier gold, I can secure an Econ plus seat at the exit row with infinite legroom anyway, so I'm not sure how much more comfort would buying into PP give me. Maybe I should stick with my old plan and try getting Polaris
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
What is the straight up price of PP? Probably a lot more than the diff between your E- and PP buyup.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 10:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, FTgold
Originally Posted by FTgold
I'm flying from HKG to SFO next month. Originally bought K class economy and thought I would try a MUA into Polaris with 30k miles plus $600 copay.

However, I saw the PP upsell was only $287 for this 12+ hours flight. Isn't this a great deal? Has anyone seen an even lower PP upsell ask for this route?
As a Premier gold, I can secure an Econ plus seat at the exit row with infinite legroom anyway, so I'm not sure how much more comfort would buying into PP give me. Maybe I should stick with my old plan and try getting Polaris
That is a good price for PremPlus for such a long flight with multiple benefits
- You could then waitlist for Polaris but for a lower $450 copay -- potentially saving $150, making the PremPlus upsell effective $137
- In PremPlus your waitlist priority will be significantly improved
- In PremPlus you will not be rubbing shoulders for 12 hours with another passenger as you will in economy
- In PremPlus you will have a wider seat and more recline and sufficient legspace
- In PremPlus you will get a business class meal

So in a nutshell, I would take the upsell to PremPlus without a second thought.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
What is the straight up price of PP? Probably a lot more than the diff between your E- and PP buyup.
Yes, a lot more, but I wasn't considering PP until seeing the buyup being a potential bargain

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, FTgold

That is a good price for PremPlus for such a long flight with multiple benefits
- You could then waitlist for Polaris but for a lower $450 copay -- potentially saving $150, making the PremPlus upsell effective $137
- In PremPlus your waitlist priority will be significantly improved
- In PremPlus you will not be rubbing shoulders for 12 hours with another passenger as you will in economy
- In PremPlus you will have a wider seat and more recline and sufficient legspace

So in a nutshell, I would take the upsell to PremPlus without a second thought.
Thank you for your welcome msg!
You said I "could then waitlist for Polaris but for a lower $450 copay -- potentially saving $150, making the PremPlus upsell effective $137", but wouldn't directly request upgrade from economy to Polaris be cheaper? Did you mean if I buyup to PP and then waitlist for Polaris, in worst case I still have a PP seat secured.

Wow didn't know this, is PP meal vs. Polaris meal exactly the same? So pretty much the only benefit of Polaris is being able to lie flat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2023 at 11:55 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You said I "could then waitlist for Polaris but for a lower $450 copay -- potentially saving $150, making the PremPlus upsell effective $137", but wouldn't directly request upgrade from economy to Polaris be cheaper? Did you mean if I buyup to PP and then waitlist for Polaris, in worst case I still have a PP seat secured.
The odds of getting upgraded from economy are poorer than getting upgraded with a PremPlus ticket and if not upgraded it is far better to be in PremPlus than economy.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
.... So pretty much the only benefit of Polaris is being able to lie flat.
Which is a very big difference from the still limited Premium plus recline (even though that's much better than regular economy). Plus you also get much more privacy and space in Polaris (so it's not only about the lie flat).
SPN Lifer and PanAmWT like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
No rule changes

The issue for 1Ks is fewer upgrades / PZ because of UA's efforts to upsell / price F
Not only a 1K issue.

My GS instrument waitlists have been losing to cash upsell at gate too many times. I wanted to know what were the cash amount for DOD upgrade so I can also participate, but this has not been possible because my being on the waitlist prevented me to see how much was the amount of cash upgrade. I complained to GS desk a couple of times to no avail. I know I was supposedly to withdraw the instruments to see the cash amount, but I may lose my position. In the routes I fly, it is common to see many GS in the line. And I can only withdraw PPs. It is like pulling teeth to withdraw miles, which may take hours and still not succeed.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Not only a 1K issue.

My GS instrument waitlists have been losing to cash upsell at gate too many times.
Yes, and this is why higher status requirements will do nothing to improve upgrades.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:31 am

... I wanted to know what were the cash amount for DOD upgrade so I can also participate, but this has not been possible because my being on the waitlist prevented me to see how much was the amount of cash upgrade. ...
I have had no issues calling to get the cash offer.

... I know I was supposedly to withdraw the instruments to see the cash amount, but I may lose my position. In the routes I fly, it is common to see many GS in the line. ...
Now there are eight factors, the loss of position is much more uncommon.

...And I can only withdraw PPs. It is like pulling teeth to withdraw miles, which may take hours and still not succeed.
I have gotten offers by calling for both
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:47 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I have had no issues calling to get the cash offer.

Now there are eight factors, the loss of position is much more uncommon.

I have gotten offers by calling for both
For a while in the past, while I was on instrument UG WL, I could look at the seat map to know the cash price for a J seat. I can check back as frequent as I want. I can monitor the fare code seat availability and the changing cash upsell prices, and decide to continue waiting or take action at any moment. This option is no more now. Calling is very different. The cash price varies widely and rapidly. A good deal can appear then suddenly gone. It is impractical to monitor it. Also at check-in my position is often No.1 or 2, making the choice to go for cash or not quite challenging. Calling is just not a good way in the very dynamic situation. If after learning the cash price I may not want to pull the trigger but a few minutes later I want to, I already hang up the phone and need to call back again. With the waiting time when I reach an agent the second time the situation could be totally changed.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
For a while in the past, while I was on instrument UG WL, I could look at the seat map to know the cash price for a J seat. I can check back as frequent as I want. I can monitor the fare code seat availability and the changing cash upsell prices, and decide to continue waiting or take action at any moment. This option is no more now. Calling is very different. The cash price varies widely and rapidly. A good deal can appear then suddenly gone. It is impractical to monitor it. Also at check-in my position is often No.1 or 2, making the choice to go for cash or not quite challenging. Calling is just not a good way in the very dynamic situation. If after learning the cash price I may not want to pull the trigger but a few minutes later I want to, I already hang up the phone and need to call back again. With the waiting time when I reach an agent the second time the situation could be totally changed.
It seems like this should be one of the glitches that UA usually fixes quickly. Someone willing to fork over cash vs. using +Ps? Yes, please! Been frustrating, I agree.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:32 pm

For a while in the past, while I was on instrument UG WL, I could look at the seat map to know the cash price for a J seat. I can check back as frequent as I want. ...
While I agree this would be useful, It has been many, many years that for most Polaris flights the cash upgrade price has been suppressed. Not new. It is still visible on most CPU eligible flights.

Calling is very different. The cash price varies widely and rapidly. A good deal can appear then suddenly gone. It is impractical to monitor it. ...
Maybe day of travel, otherwise not IME

With the waiting time when I reach an agent the second time the situation could be totally changed.
Waiting time for a GS?

Again, I agree it should be available, but UA removed originally (due to complaints?) UA offering cash upgrade when waitlisted. Guess they thought by hiding it, it would upset fewer people
But once Polaris marketing started , it was primarily the Polaris cash upgrades were hidden (from time to time some have shown but generally not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.