Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:44 am

Polaris meals and menu question

I've generally flown AA for past several years, so I know little regarding UA "norm." I got a good deal on UA trip in business class, so I'm widening my horizons.In early June, fying BNA to EWR to EDI. With AA a business/first class, pax could pre-order a meal. Is this possible with UA? Is the menu the same on all flights, or does it change periodically? Food reviews, and wine as well for the most part, sound positive thus far. True?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Captainahab
I've generally flown AA for past several years, so I know little regarding UA "norm." I got a good deal on UA trip in business class, so I'm widening my horizons.In early June, fying BNA to EWR to EDI. With AA a business/first class, pax could pre-order a meal. Is this possible with UA? Is the menu the same on all flights, or does it change periodically? Food reviews, and wine as well for the most part, sound positive thus far. True?
Can't pre-order meals on UA like you can on AA. There is a thread on food and drinks at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...siness-27.html, and the food and drink have improved with the change to Polaris.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Today's AMS-EWR flight had only 3(!) of the 6 wines listed on the menu available.

Outside of that, the service both there and back upfront in a reconfigured 2-class 763 were quite solid. I will say that they really need to get FAs onboard with what things are called, though. It was called BusinessFirst on the outbound and just 'Business Class' on the way back, and we were even told to use our shoulder straps when buckling in for landing. Maybe it is because I am more 'in the know' these days, but nomenclature continues to be wildly inconsistent across both sUA and sCO crews.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Maybe it is because I am more 'in the know' these days, but nomenclature continues to be wildly inconsistent across both sUA and sCO crews.
This inconsistency is the end product of the Smisek regime, and won't end until the FAs are no longer 2 separate work groups.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
This inconsistency is the end product of the Smisek regime, and won't end until the FAs are no longer 2 separate work groups.
My main point is that both sUA and sCO crews botch the Polaris branding. I'm skeptical that working as one FA group will solve the issue.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What's the tail # of the plane with the botched IFE? I'm on #2133 and need to know if I should frantically download more podcasts or Netflix.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What's the tail # of the plane with the botched IFE? I'm on #2133 and need to know if I should frantically download more podcasts or Netflix.
I had problem with IFE on #2132 on the inaugural SFO-HKG flight, and the problem was fixed last week when I flew on the same bird on SFO-EWR.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:03 pm

Anyone know what this button does? FAs weren't sure either.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Anyone know what this button does? FAs weren't sure either.
Looks like another light...

"There are several lighting options around the seat — one standalone sconce (as seen above), a small push-out reading light..."

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:14 pm

The sconce you do from the arm rest controls (lamp icon) which is next to the moon (DND). To turn on the small reading light you just have to pop it out. I feel once I popped out the reading light it was already on and pressing the button didn't also turn it on/off.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
The sconce you do from the arm rest controls (lamp icon) which is next to the moon (DND). To turn on the small reading light you just have to pop it out. I feel once I popped out the reading light it was already on and pressing the button didn't also turn it on/off.
Pressing the button not the pop out light did three levels of brightness on the 77W I flew from HKG last week. It went off, bright, brighter, brightest if I recall correctly.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:41 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Rushed Meal Service EWR-HKG X2

Yesterday was my second Polaris Lite flight from EWR to HKG (UA179) this year and I noticed, again, that the initial meal service was rushed to start. I barely had started on my nuts ( whole cashews!! ) and hadn't received my Scotch order before the tray came with my appetizer and salad. This is the part of the flight I enjoy the most, no pressure, nothing much to do and a nice time to unwind and relax ...then, plop comes the tray and my world is set into a spin cycle (ok, that's more dramatic than it really is). This is a mid-afternoon departure so people probably aren't starving, dead tired, or in any other hurry since you have 15 hours to fit it all in.

This flight I was in 1E and last flight I was in 8E, with the same rushed initial meal service.

Anyone noticed this on this or other INTL routes?

Otherwise, nice flight with good service, tasty meals and only a bit late due to weather in HKG

DEN
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: None anymore
Rushed? If anything far from it, past 6 months have been slow. As in, 2 hours slow.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
OP may have a point but it may be related to EWR based crew. I found S/CO EWR based crew tends to be faster. I have no problem with it. S/UA crew's service pace is perfectly fine with me.

Slower pace of services is the main reason I stopped flying NH. Too slow for my liking.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Has anyone gotten a sideways glance (or push back from the FAs) when requesting the PJs, Mattress​ Pad, Slippers, and Gel Pillow all at once from the FA when boarding?

I am thinking of saying "when is the best time to request the PJs, Mattress​ Pad, and Gel Pillow?" And see what their response is but would hate for them to run out.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
OP may have a point but it may be related to EWR based crew. I found S/CO EWR based crew tends to be faster. I have no problem with it. S/UA crew's service pace is perfectly fine with me.

Slower pace of services is the main reason I stopped flying NH. Too slow for my liking.
On a 10+ hr flight I think a 2 hr meal service is okay, however when flying TATL redeye I hate it when you have 2 hr meal then only 3 hrs to sleep before they turn the lights on again.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2017 at 7:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.