FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

NH_Clark Dec 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 27681346)
Too late.

Doh! :D

lincolnjkc Dec 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark (Post 27681289)
LOL! Thought did cross my mind but I didn't want to come across as that creepy guy :D

I don't know...could turn into a frequent-flyer romance like Up In the Air :)

bigwings8 Dec 31, 2016 2:00 pm

Flew Polaris today 12 hour flight. This has probably been discussed before but why does it make sense not to let Polaris customers into the global first lounges if those lounges are going away anyway?

I asked for pajamas! I think only one other person got them-- the kid sitting next to me who saw that I go pajamas. Theyre soft and comfy but the sizing is a bit meh. I got small / medium. Im a thin, muscular guy just under 6 feet. I wear large t shirts usually. In the pajamas there's plenty of body room but the sleeves and legs are a rather short. I didn't try the large/XL size.

They did give me an extra pair of PJs for my friend when I asked :).

Champagne was good and wines weren't bad - I did both red and white tastings.

One flight attendant was super grouchy and got mad that I put a pillow and blanket on top of the bulkhead at the front of the first biz row. That's never happened before.

Otherwise didn't notice much difference in service or style.

Edit: just realized I forgot to ask for mattress pad and gel pillow :(.

The glasses they have for wine, champagne, water, coffee are all really nice. Ice cream bowl too is quite cool.

Why do they give two blankets?

jsn55 Dec 31, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm reading all this about Polaris ... I've booked SFO-LHR in August, so I'm curious. Do most FT people think that on December 1 UA BF would have morphed into the Polaris as described in all the ads? UA was dumb to hype it all when in reality it will take a couple of years to create something nice, but it seems that many FT people believed them. If the Polaris seats aren't on your Polaris flight, who cares about all the rest? The FAs will be just like always ... mostly likeable and professional, with a grouch or two on every flight. If you're hungry, the food will be OK. The wines will be drinkable. The IFE and reading lights will work most of the time. The internet will be useless. Do people buy a car with revolutionary systems the first couple of years it's available? Not people with common sense. This Polaris thing is the same concept ... don't believe the hype until you see it for yourself. It only leads to disappointment instead of enjoyment. I hope to be reading about 'real' Polaris flights as people encounter them ... after all the components are in place.

355F1 Dec 31, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark (Post 27681244)
Was sitting in the UC at LAX (T7) this morning and met a very nice young lady that had just arrived from SYD in Polaris Business. She mentioned that she was GS along with approx. 5 other GS on the flight.

She commented on the FA crew and service was horrendous. Very senior (by age) FA crew that acted like any request (pajamas, pillow) was an imposition on their "chatting" time. I guess the GS were collectively upset enough that they all agreed they would send in feedback to customer care.

Brother just flew ORD-PEK on Polaris First for his first "First" experience and was not impressed.

FA's asked before takeoff if anyone wanted PJs or turndown service. After taking this order not one person received either during the entire flight.

He flew on AA's 77W a few months ago for his first experience in J (LHR-ORD) and he said that AA's Business Class on that 77W was much nicer.

Again...these are comments from someone with very little to no experiences in Premium Cabins.

Plus he got stuck in PEK because CA didn't have a reservation for him even though he had an Award Ticket with PEK-BKK listed. They didn't let him on the flight as it was full and routed him 8hrs later through SIN.

He did say that the Polaris Lounge @ ORD was Top Notch, though.

halls120 Dec 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark (Post 27681244)
She commented on the FA crew and service was horrendous. Very senior (by age) FA crew that acted like any request (pajamas, pillow) was an imposition on their "chatting" time. I guess the GS were collectively upset enough that they all agreed they would send in feedback to customer care.

Which will have no impact, sadly.

AndyInSaigon Dec 31, 2016 6:36 pm

12/30 - UA2

* Boarding - excellent & attentive.
* Main meal - I picked a Malay style green curry. The salad was fine but they need to pass out pliers to get the cap off the dressing bottle. The appetizer was the best in recent memory. Granted the curry is a few bucks on the street, but it was presented well & tasted great. If I'd had more bread I would have sopped up the remaining sauce. The little cakes are a nice addition. I don't care for sundaes but cake & ice cream are something I like.
* Wines - per my previous trip they are fine though all inexpensive.
* Bedding - I passed on the pad this time. PJs delivered promptly (& cheerfully).
* Snack - I had the grilled cheese. As with some others it had a slightly burned toast flavor. I still liked it & like the choice.
* Breakfast - Frittata tolerable at best. I usually go with the congee & should have this time.
* Service - excellent in all respects. I read a lot of complaining, but every FA I encountered this (& the previous) trip was cheerful & attentive. Mid-flight I chatted with one for a few minutes. I appreciated her willingness to talk.

username Dec 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsn55 (Post 27686184)
I'm reading all this about Polaris ... I've booked SFO-LHR in August, so I'm curious. Do most FT people think that on December 1 UA BF would have morphed into the Polaris as described in all the ads? UA was dumb to hype it all when in reality it will take a couple of years to create something nice, but it seems that many FT people believed them. If the Polaris seats aren't on your Polaris flight, who cares about all the rest? The FAs will be just like always ... mostly likeable and professional, with a grouch or two on every flight. If you're hungry, the food will be OK. The wines will be drinkable. The IFE and reading lights will work most of the time. The internet will be useless. Do people buy a car with revolutionary systems the first couple of years it's available? Not people with common sense. This Polaris thing is the same concept ... don't believe the hype until you see it for yourself. It only leads to disappointment instead of enjoyment. I hope to be reading about 'real' Polaris flights as people encounter them ... after all the components are in place.

I too wonder if UA should have rolled it out like this. Now the Polaris name is tarnished. On the other hand, they can't wait until the entire fleet is updated, right?

We are frequent flyers. We love to discuss our observations and experiences. We are not as stupid as you think.

Come back in a few months if you want to see the "real" Polaris discussed :D Maybe the Moderators will start a new thread for "real Polaris" discussions then so we don't waste your time.

Kmxu Dec 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 27686262)
Brother just flew ORD-PEK on Polaris First for his first "First" experience and was not impressed.

FA's asked before takeoff if anyone wanted PJs or turndown service. After taking this order not one person received either during the entire flight.

He flew on AA's 77W a few months ago for his first experience in J (LHR-ORD) and he said that AA's Business Class on that 77W was much nicer.

Again...these are comments from someone with very little to no experiences in Premium Cabins.

Plus he got stuck in PEK because CA didn't have a reservation for him even though he had an Award Ticket with PEK-BKK listed. They didn't let him on the flight as it was full and routed him 8hrs later through SIN.

He did say that the Polaris Lounge @ ORD was Top Notch, though.

The person stuck in PEK is probable the same person, whose experience with Air China has been discussed in this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1811730-help-brother-stuck-pek-ua-f-award-ticket.html

LAXOGG Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bigwings8 (Post 27685466)
Flew Polaris today 12 hour flight................

.........just realized I forgot to ask for mattress pad and gel pillow.......

.........Why do they give two blankets?

The "second larger blanket" was the matress pad!

enviroian Dec 31, 2016 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 27686506)

That information would have helped me last week on 935. I didn't understand the end cords! Lol

355F1 Dec 31, 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 27686377)
The person stuck in PEK is probable the same person, whose experience with Air China has been discussed in this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1811730-help-brother-stuck-pek-ua-f-award-ticket.html

Yes. You are correct. :)

LASUA1K Dec 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 27686506)

No its not. Its a blanket, the matress pad is different. The second blanket, comforter, is the only thing being passed out on widebody hub to hub flights. I find this blanket a tremendous upgrade.

CappuccinoAddict Dec 31, 2016 10:46 pm

UA provides two blankets, one thick duvet and one light blanket, to allow for greater passenger comfort and control over temperature while sleeping.

tuolumne Jan 1, 2017 2:28 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 27686371)
I too wonder if UA should have rolled it out like this. Now the Polaris name is tarnished.

What took FlyerTalk so long to busy out the Polaris hyperbole?? :p

Side note - haven't been in a Polaris cabin yet, but the SO did bring back, at my request, a nice, white Polaris United First blanket. Color me impressed!