FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

kluau88 Jan 4, 2017 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 27700464)
On the longer flights, you work from takeoff through the first meal service, maybe 2-3 hours max. Then you hide from passengers and kick back for 8 hours. Then you do another service before arrival. That's a pretty good work-to-relax ratio.

By contrast, on a 1-hour SFO-LAX flight, you're pretty much running around the whole time the plane's in the air.

Polaris is changing this a little bit, requiring a little more time. So we may see some of the more senior FAs shift back to domestic. Let's pray that happens.

The senior FA are not going to shift back to domestic flying just because of the difficulties with the Polaris service. They will just avoid the galley position and work the aisle positions.

Originally Posted by jsn55 (Post 27700553)
Well if they did their JOBS it might be harder on them, but they don't. By bidding the long-hauls, they get more time off every month.

Bingo. Let's just make the assumption that most of the population works 40 hours a week or 160 hours in a 4 week period. Depending on base some FA can work about 9 days a month and earn about 80 hours worth of credit. At the same time I doubt someone flying domestic could credit 80 hours in 9 days.

Originally Posted by username (Post 27700748)
That is my understanding - it is not about what is in-flight. It is about how many roundtrips they have to do a month to get the hours. Longer routes, especially those with a single daily or less frequency means 2-3 roundtrips and they are done for the month.

Correct, although it is more like 3 round trips.

bubbashow Jan 4, 2017 6:47 pm

Polaris question....If I am flying ORD-EWR domestic F, connecting to EWR-DUB Polaris on the same ticket, can I use the Polaris lounge at ORD?

ft4lyf Jan 4, 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 27706147)
Polaris question....If I am flying ORD-EWR domestic F, connecting to EWR-DUB Polaris on the same ticket, can I use the Polaris lounge at ORD?

YES.
i did something similar..

PsiFighter37 Jan 4, 2017 6:52 pm

According to the table in this post, I believe so (as ORD would be seen as a connecting flight). Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

kluau88 Jan 4, 2017 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by javac0d34 (Post 27694326)
I didn't see any real changes in the service. In fact IMHO, its the service that is really going to differentiate the chaff from the wheat. UA needs to compete with Singapore Air, etc, if it wants to play in that sandbox. Based on thier appetite for cost-cutting, I won't hold my breath.

I think it's safe to say that US carriers can't compete with the Asian carriers. The biggest issue is the culture of the crews are polar opposites. Their work contracts are different, their objectives are different and this all impacts the end product. The Polaris amenities (catering, seats, lounges, etc.) are just one piece of the picture. UA executives can spend endless amounts of money on this stuff, but it needs the front line staff to deliver on that product for it to work and we have seen on this thread and many other threads where not everyone is onboard with the program.

Here is one example of how the work contracts have an impact on the end product.

UA and SQ both operate SFO-SIN nonstop.

We all know the westbound flights are longer than the eastbound.

I had a friend just work the ultra longhaul flight for SQ. They had almost four full days in SFO after arriving. Guess how many a UA crew working SFO-SIN gets in SIN?

Another tidbit on the above scenario. The trip happened to be over the New Year holiday and SQ actually sets up a dinner for their crew over the holiday when they are away from SIN and not just for this ultra-long haul flight. When you value your staff I am sure this works wonders towards employee morale.

Kacee Jan 4, 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf (Post 27706179)
YES.
i did something similar..

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 27706180)
According to the table in this post, I believe so (as ORD would be seen as a connecting flight). Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Yes, there was initially some confusion on this question, but the answer is definitively "yes."

JerseyCityS Jan 4, 2017 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27705245)
Flew NRT-DEN and the mid-flight snacks and service were far better than EWR-HKG. I said it before and will say again, EWR-HKG needs an add'l full meal service. :)

I flew the inagural EWR HKG, and back then, it had 3 full meal services. A 5 course meal, and 3 course meal, and a 4 course before landing.

It was just wonderful! Those were the days. And none of this stupid breakfast before landing nonsense that has taken over for years now.

EWRMAN Jan 5, 2017 7:30 am

Flew polaris for the first time MAN - EWR on 757-200. IMO it is definitely an improvement.

hirohito888 Jan 5, 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by kluau88 (Post 27706238)
I think it's safe to say that US carriers can't compete with the Asian carriers. The biggest issue is the culture of the crews are polar opposites. Their work contracts are different, their objectives are different and this all impacts the end product. The Polaris amenities (catering, seats, lounges, etc.) are just one piece of the picture. UA executives can spend endless amounts of money on this stuff, but it needs the front line staff to deliver on that product for it to work and we have seen on this thread and many other threads where not everyone is onboard with the program.

Here is one example of how the work contracts have an impact on the end product.

I think most would agree that UA can't compete with Asian carriers, but Polaris is not intended to compete with them. UA's main competition internationally remains to be AA and DL. The UA Polaris, DL One, AA Flagship branding are all ways to distinguish themselves from one another. None of the US3 are out to beat the Asian or ME3 carriers, and I don't think management or shareholders expect that.

TCD Jan 5, 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 27708900)
I think most would agree that UA can't compete with Asian carriers, but Polaris is not intended to compete with them. UA's main competition internationally remains to be AA and DL. The UA Polaris, DL One, AA Flagship branding are all ways to distinguish themselves from one another. None of the US3 are out to beat the Asian or ME3 carriers, and I don't think management or shareholders expect that.

I agree, but I'd add that they also have strong competition from the European carriers for the lucrative TATL routes. And when the new seat comes out it looks like Polaris will be very competitive with BA/AF at least.

And of course, in the medium to long term the ME3 may not be competitors at all. You have to question how viable the ME3's current business model is. I'm less clear about the long term prospects of the Asian carriers?

CappuccinoAddict Jan 5, 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 27709034)
I agree, but I'd add that they also have strong competition from the European carriers for the lucrative TATL routes. And when the new seat comes out it looks like Polaris will be very competitive with BA/AF at least.

And of course, in the medium to long term the ME3 may not be competitors at all. You have to question how viable the ME3's current business model is. I'm less clear about the long term prospects of the Asian carriers?

Except that each of UA, AA, and DL have revenue-sharing joint venture agreements with the European carriers, which means that UA is really just competing with AA and DL.

Xyzzy Jan 5, 2017 11:27 am

Took UA940 last night EWR-LHR. There were zero memory-foam pillows available. I asked for one before we departed and was told that the station (EWR!) was :(ut of them. Wow.

Plane-is-home Jan 5, 2017 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 27709869)
Took UA940 last night EWR-LHR. There were zero memory-foam pillows available. I asked for one before we departed and was told that the station (EWR!) was :(ut of them. Wow.

Or just your standard lazy EWR based FAs?

nomad420 Jan 5, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 27709869)

Same experience last month on EWR - HAM. My first "Polaris" flight so I didn't even know they had them. BTW, is there a "Polaris Lounge" planned for EWR?

AndyInSaigon Jan 5, 2017 5:16 pm

I had a friend just work the ultra longhaul flight for SQ. They had almost four full days in SFO after arriving. Guess how many a UA crew working SFO-SIN gets in SIN?

They return the next day. What does it matter? They're starting their return flight at about 5p on their (SFO based) body clock. It makes sense to me. Why spend 4 days adjusting your body clock only to have to do it again?

When you value your staff I am sure this works wonders towards employee morale.

Maybe. There's more than a bit of culture involved here. After running a business in Asia for decades I've learned that Asians (at least SE Asians) are much more likely to get attend company sponsored meals than Americans are. My VN office gets all excited. My Houston employees want to go home.

And what can be perceived as "value your staff" varies greatly. I lost a programmer to another company once bec the new employer provided all their staff with an amenity kit (toothbrush, toothpaste & face towel). She told me that meant they cared more that I did (though we paid more & had a shorter commute). My take was that they wanted their employees to brush their teeth so they'd not have foul breath.