FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

villox Jan 6, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 27717162)
Reviews say tools don't actually work.

Just pack small needle nose pliers for that dressing cap?

Or these: https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Silver...dp/B017MRIJ9W/

DaveLiv Jan 6, 2017 4:23 pm

I've taken EWR-LIS, MAD-LAX, EWR-LHR, LHR-EWR in Polaris. Food is marginally better. They did offer both the cheese and sundaes. They do leave out sandwiches and snacks throughout flight and also offered hot soup. Sandwiches were okay, didn't try the hot stuff.

Let's see what the Polaris seat is like. Interested if it is materially better than the AA biz seat, which is pretty good.

wco81 Jan 6, 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 27717189)

Well hopefully UA is telling their suppliers to change that bottle and cap instead.

FlyfromDenver Jan 6, 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 27715949)
I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I can't open that little bottle, but since the salad was awful I guess it didn't matter.

I could open the little bottle but the salad was still awful.

adambrau Jan 6, 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 27711973)
They can't compete with European first class service, and they know it, which is why Polaris First will vanish once all current three-class planes are equipped with the new Polaris Business seat.

I don't quite know why one needs to repeat the obvious: that US Airlines First Class will never match up to their top European/ME/Asian/Australian peers.

1. Realizing that will be good for UA. AA/DL/UA are making record profits which is good to see.
2. Until I get on A Polaris-configured 777-300 I and everyone else won't know, but the seat and privacy and all-aisle access look awesome. Installing this product fleet wide will take years.
3. UA dropped JFK service for all LGA/EWR and people howled - and guess what? It's been a huge success.
4. United is not trying to emulate SQ. UA is marketing itself to Business-class flyers who (if UA had a slightly better dispatch rate) should be up on new business corporate contract wins.
5. I see a lot of positive change and I see the occasional front-line employees who should retire w/ nasty attitude (but everyone else never has a bad day?) Please remember since BK staff have had their pensions robbed so the 'prison matrons' have to keep working to replenish their savings.

Polaris quality will ebb and flow with the United's bottom line but I get the sense that management understands gutting premium cabins is a short term gain and a longterm disaster. Expect that Polaris of/hard product slowly rise over time. UA is embarking on a huge reinvention of itself, and getting rid of global first is just another example that current management 'gets it' like dropping JFK.

Only time will tell. But United's Int'l First Class had been flat-lining for years - I am only surprised they attached the Polaris name to it!!

Adam

wanderingkev Jan 6, 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau (Post 27717823)
I don't quite know why one needs to repeat the obvious: that US Airlines First Class will never match up to their top European/ME/Asian/Australian peers.

1. Realizing that will be good for UA. AA/DL/UA are making record profits which is good to see.
2. Until I get on A Polaris-configured 777-300 I and everyone else won't know, but the seat and privacy and all-aisle access look awesome. Installing this product fleet wide will take years.
3. UA dropped JFK service for all LGA/EWR and people howled - and guess what? It's been a huge success.
4. United is not trying to emulate SQ. UA is marketing itself to Business-class flyers who (if UA had a slightly better dispatch rate) should be up on new business corporate contract wins.
5. I see a lot of positive change and I see the occasional front-line employees who should retire w/ nasty attitude (but everyone else never has a bad day?) Please remember since BK staff have had their pensions robbed so the 'prison matrons' have to keep working to replenish their savings.

Polaris quality will ebb and flow with the United's bottom line but I get the sense that management understands gutting premium cabins is a short term gain and a longterm disaster. Expect that Polaris of/hard product slowly rise over time. UA is embarking on a huge reinvention of itself, and getting rid of global first is just another example that current management 'gets it' like dropping JFK.

Only time will tell. But United's Int'l First Class had been flat-lining for years - I am only surprised they attached the Polaris name to it!!

Adam

I hear what you are saying and agree that it will take time to work out the kinks and the new hard product layout will be another step change for UA although as many others have commented it is at best a catch up so no advantage per say against competitors. My biggest disappointment is given the over hype that surrounded the launch I was expecting far more than what I have seen.The menu did change but given UA changes menus every 5 years whether needed or not the time was about right for that.The food quality I believe on the six sectors I have taken since the launch has taken a further step back wards in terms of quality and choice, the presentation and service is poor , pre packed and down right lazy for a premium cabin. I have been a UA flyer for 14 or so years and have learned to fear announcements of improvements this has been no different.Lots of comments about FA's and sure that needs to be addressed but crap food served with a smile is still crap. Another failure for UA in my books and less sectors for me again this year

CappuccinoAddict Jan 7, 2017 2:55 am

Just had a GREAT flight in Polaris First on EWR-FRA. The entire First crew was friendly, attentive, and personable. For instance, I was served 3 sparkling wine PDBs (with the little chocolates!), and was offered refills on everything, including the warm nuts from a large metal ramekin. And, shockingly, the load was only 3/8, and I was the only passenger in row 2! So I had tons of privacy and comfort; it really felt like UA at its best.

The tuna and quinoa appetizer was a bit bland but I loved the Asian fusion chicken soup and the new desserts, especially the salted caramel bar and mini apple pie. I'm also a very big fan of the Ayala 2007 they are pouring.

The best part? I was given 2 sets of pajamas (one S/M and one L/XL). S/M was totally fine but I'm happy to have the other pair as an additional souvenir! Normally this route does not have PJs since its only blocked at 7hr30min but the crew told me they found some on the plane and wanted to make sure I was comfortable :)

The crew proactively made my bed in the seat across the aisle without my having to ask.

Honestly, I flew LH F FRA-JFK a few weeks ago and the service here was just as good.

Ground services were a different story entirely. I had tried to check in at the GS lobby as Global First customers were previously allowed to do but I was stopped in my tracks by the woman at the desk at the entrance to the GS lobby alcove. I told her it was my understanding that I was permitted to check in there but she shook her head and pointed me up the escalator to the Polaris check-in. Not a big deal but I do wish we had clarity on this as it is embarrassing to be turned away, like I am trying to get some freebie. Then of course the UC was crowded with multiple people sprawled across several chairs with all of their belongings taking up seating.... The Polaris Lounge at EWR can't come fast enough.

unitedhandcuffs Jan 7, 2017 5:07 am

Originally Posted by 1015-1k (Post 27668003)
[*]I tried the pajamas on the outbound. They were very comfortable. However, trying them on in the lav and doing acrobatics to avoid contact with surfaces will prevent me from ever doing it again on current aircraft. They need the rumored upcoming larger lavs to make this work.

tip: if you're on a 787, use the lavatories on the left hand side in the middle of business class as thats the biggest. secondly, use the baby nappy pull down board. you can use that to rest your pjs on and then your normal clothes as you transition out.

adambrau Jan 7, 2017 6:02 am

Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 27718088)
I hear what you are saying and agree that it will take time to work out the kinks and the new hard product layout will be another step change for UA although as many others have commented it is at best a catch up so no advantage per say against competitors. My biggest disappointment is given the over hype that surrounded the launch I was expecting far more than what I have seen.The menu did change but given UA changes menus every 5 years whether needed or not the time was about right for that.The food quality I believe on the six sectors I have taken since the launch has taken a further step back wards in terms of quality and choice, the presentation and service is poor , pre packed and down right lazy for a premium cabin. I have been a UA flyer for 14 or so years and have learned to fear announcements of improvements this has been no different.Lots of comments about FA's and sure that needs to be addressed but crap food served with a smile is still crap. Another failure for UA in my books and less sectors for me again this year

And I hear what you are saying. I last flew November 30th, and overall it doesn't sound like food offering have improved too much. I guess I am hoping the new seats will be the most positive tangible change. Perhaps the lounges. I understand UA doesn't want to promise opening dates for other clubs but Newark, which is my home airport, really does have need for one stat. Last time I was there a couple had there small dog loose on the bar and were feeding it those snacks that look like hamster food. If I have a choice I usually go to one of the new restaurants and just pay for drinks - it's easier to find a quiet seat than the dirty, overcrowded United Clubs who's entry is often staffed by officious receptionists (haven't been to the new one in A if it is even open?). The GS checkin lobby is really the one thing that keeps me loyal and currently exists - it is such a huge perk to me. Service-wise I do find UA FA's to be awesome and friendly - but I guess morale is always going to be a challenge after all the years of acrimony.

I got an invitation to Saks to see the NYC Polaris intro on the 10th and I will try to see if anyone knows at least the order of new Polaris lounges openings.

My one worry with Polaris is that the TV ads are on a lot and there is not even one plane flying with the seats yet (scheduled). Crew training seems haphazard and while we shouldn't be surprised that some cabin crew are just not willing/able to change old habits I feel it is going to be a few years until the cabins advertised today are available and the offerings seamlessly choreographed. I do think it is wrong to call all business and first int's cabins Polaris - and will create a lot of confusion/disappointment. For those of us on Flyertalk we obviously research our flights - but many don't. I still shudder at the sight of the 777 business cabins with 2/4/2 seating - and I think it is a mistake from a business-perspective to call the same old seats 'Polaris' when they clearly aren't. Of course I am happy we have a great new seat but without even one plane in scheduled operations it doesn't give me me a great deal of reassurance. I know all airlines face integrations issues of new products, but United is hyping something they really don't have. Just a bit too early IMHO.

All the new wide bodies will get the sets, presumably. So the 773's and perhaps the A359's if that order isn't swapped for something else. 747 are around 1 more year. And then United has a myriad of 75+ 777's and 763's, and then the 787's and 789's. A lot of planes to reconfigure. The PR launch was so optimistic and now anecdotal signs point to an underwhelming enhancement of the hype that can actually be quickly changed and uniformly introduced.

I have bee a UA flyer for 25 years (I only found out because on a recent flight the whole crew came up to me and congratulated my anniversary - I was traveling with 5 friends and it was cute and thoughtful!).

I love United. I love to see they are making money and staff are getting long over due raises. The whole operation feels more solid than I remember in a long, long time. I just hope the PR spin for Polaris doesn't annoy passengers who won't be receiving the advertised full product, consistently, for probably 3 years. And will Oscar be around to see it through. Will Scott Kirby dilute Polaris? I have been with United long enough to know that it's going to take some consistency and hard work to just undo the Jeff merger 'enhancements we will like', the 3 year bankruptcy (I think?), the Summer from Hell, to mention just a few hiccups that we have endured. PS was implemented reasonably well but everything United touted to win a well-playing clientele was just diluted year after year.

So please know I am aware of the shortcomings too. I am not a blind fan. But I know the system and even as complicated and backward it can sometimes appear, I am not going to dump my imperfect old friend at this stage. I worry that past mistakes well-documented will be repeated, and the see-saw from worst to first to worst will dog the friendly skies. I guess I am just more optimistic in nature than most, a creature of habit, but also able to anticipate that when Polaris is fleet wide in the planes that it is meant for, the cycle will begin over all again. People might scratch their heads why I am still a UA flyer, but there are plenty of things about the airline which I love. I just hope someone from the airline reads these threads and really tries to keep this Polaris seat transition as quick as it can be done, invest in the crew training, and not dilute the wines and special touches. A big ask of mine, no doubt!

Adam

1kBill Jan 7, 2017 8:49 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 27716651)
Might be time to become better prepared for Polaris flights...

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Mini-To...dp/B00KRO4IP2/

Are these permitted through security?

Aussienarelle Jan 7, 2017 12:00 pm

No pyjamas

Okay, in fairness had not read this thread first but flew my son in Polaris First Class (birthday treat as he was flying on his birthday and had it noted on his flight record but not one FA wished him happy birthday) and told him to ask for the pyjamas. It was the LAX-LHR red eye (most LHR bound flights are red eye from the West Coast).

He texts me to tell me no pyjamas on flights less than 12 hours. I had high expectations that Polaris was going to be a world class product. At the same time I was traveling on a LH flight LAX-MUC. LH provides pyjamas to their first class passangers on flights less than 12 hours.

So basically they have merely rebranded their first and businesses classes without some of the advertised enhancements. I will still continue to fly United but not raving about a superior product. I get the east coast to LHR is not really about sleep but LAX/SFO/IAH-LHR are all flights where I take sleeping clothing, and will continue to pack my version of pyjamas.

I do not travel for the food on the plane, but pay for the ability to sleep on red eyes.

Think United dropped the ball in pyjamas for Polaris Business and Polaris First.

WineCountryUA Jan 7, 2017 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 27721445)
Think United dropped the ball in pyjamas for Polaris Business and Polaris First.

Panjama routes - see long discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-lounges.html

milepig Jan 7, 2017 4:19 pm

The little plastic wrapped crackers with the cheese course makes me shed a tear. So sad.

DRC1985 Jan 7, 2017 6:22 pm

Just flew Muc-Ord. Never will understand the complainers on this board. I probably do 8-10 international J trips a year (on a variety of star carriers including ANA, Lufthansa, and Swiss as well as UA), and United is my first choice. Especially now with Polaris. Let's compare:

Service: totally hit or miss. I've had terrible service on all (an ANA flight attendant once forgot about me on a flight and tried skipping serving me a meal), but have only had exemplary service on UA.

Entertainment: hands down United has the largest selection.

Beverages: pre-Polaris UA sucked. Now the wines offered areprcier than what offered on ANA or LH.

Food: all the carriers are meh in business. Only good food I've had is F.

Amenity kit: UA has cowshed and gives hand sanitizer. The other carriers give generic non-branded ..... Considering how obsessed everyone on this board is with the minutiae, I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more.

Seat: ok fine, the non-all aisle access currently sucks (although LH just installed such seats...). That being said, the padding is quite good and Polaris looks like a big upgrade.

Verdict: In J UA is very competitive. Of course F is a different story...

tryintogohome Jan 7, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 27722498)
The little plastic wrapped crackers with the cheese course makes me shed a tear. So sad.

Why would they do that ,I think things like that though small make a product and service ...stupid decision