FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

wco81 Jan 3, 2017 6:37 pm

Gotta be harder on those older bodies, those 10+ hour flights.

Wx4caster Jan 3, 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne (Post 27694246)
It was gauche, I'll give you that. I don't think I've ever been in the FT hot seat, and damn is it hot! Can I do my best HRC debate "WHew" shimmy shimmy? I apologize to anyone I offended; I did not consider it stealing, and I certainly wouldn't want to put my partner on the receiving end of any sort of backlash from the crew if I had thought that's what the result would be.

I have/would never take headphones, cutlery, etc. I did bring up wine, because FAs do routineyly give away full bottles of wine, albeit not requested in an overt way from the receiving customer, mostly on p.s. . I always thought that was questionable.

You can rationalize anything, and looking back my thought was I have seen flyers take blankets all the time, in all cabins. I never thought about it until I saw the lovely picture of the white F blanket. Now it's tainted! Thanks FT! :p Perhaps I should arrange a give-back on my LHR F flight next month??? I'm actually serious.

You weren't the first and certainly won't be the last :) I do wonder what the cost to UA is for these Saks blankets. I wouldn't want to get "busted" using one on a non-Polaris flight. At the circa-2009 (I think) Continental DO, they handed out swag bags, including a BF blanket, to those of us on the mystery flight. I used it a few weeks later on a MR to MXP and got ceramoniously accused and shamed when I pulled it out of my bag to use. I had to explain to a dubious FA that it truly did belong to me. The same FA was greeting at the boarding door on the return trip the next day - she instantly recognized me and apologized, so I guess in the end it was all good.

jsn55 Jan 3, 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 27700391)
Why would older FAs want to work the longer flights?

Has to be harder on them.

Must be better pay, like OT?

Well if they did their JOBS it might be harder on them, but they don't. By bidding the long-hauls, they get more time off every month.

username Jan 3, 2017 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsn55 (Post 27700553)
Well if they did their JOBS it might be harder on them, but they don't. By bidding the long-hauls, they get more time off every month.

That is my understanding - it is not about what is in-flight. It is about how many roundtrips they have to do a month to get the hours. Longer routes, especially those with a single daily or less frequency means 2-3 roundtrips and they are done for the month.

I have seen an FA who is so old, she really did not have any energy to give attitude. She just wobbled around and did the best she could do (which is adequate). That is fine. I have more issues with the bitter middle-aged ones with attitude or with the young ones who are not there to serve.

kanari Jan 3, 2017 7:56 pm

Long-time FT lurker, first time poster.
I flew Polaris service today on the TPE-SFO route. I was assigned a seat in Business Class at the gate due to late booking (2 days before flight) and once seated with a drink in hand on board, there was some confusion about another pax who was supposedly assigned my seat. The FA (purser, maybe) nastily demanded I show my ticket which was in my luggage in the overhead bin. When I notified her it was stowed she snapped "well you'll just have to get it out, won't you?"

I had planned to show her my seat assignment in the United app, but oh well..
After verifying that I was indeed supposed to be sitting in the seat I had been in for 20 minutes, she started berating the other passenger instead of apologizing for the gate staff's mistake.

Definitely a rude awakening after flying F/J on KAL in the kosmo suites.

All that said, the slippers are maybe the best I've had on any airline. I never keep anything from the plane but this is an exception. Very comfortable, soft, and warm!
b
As far as the meal service goes, it was middling and I didn't notice a large improvement in the food quality, but they at least make a semblance of trying to refill your drinks during the service. The champagne quality in flight has definitely gone way up from whatever 'sparkling wine' they were serving before.

I think the soft product is good, bring on the new seats and maybe some younger FAs that don't hate the passengers!

Benebene Jan 3, 2017 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 27700748)
That is my understanding - it is not about what is in-flight. It is about how many roundtrips they have to do a month to get the hours. Longer routes, especially those with a single daily or less frequency means 2-3 roundtrips and they are done for the month.

I have seen an FA who is so old, she really did not have any energy to give attitude. She just wobbled around and did the best she could do (which is adequate). That is fine. I have more issues with the bitter middle-aged ones with attitude or with the young ones who are not there to serve.

Agree with your sentiment. Some of the senior FAs have a good attitude just not the energy.

I do sincerely see the FAs look forward to the international destinations esp China. I hear them chatting a lot about it.

username Jan 3, 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by kanari (Post 27700785)
The FA (purser, maybe) nastily demanded I show my ticket which was in my luggage in the overhead bin. When I notified her it was stowed she snapped "well you'll just have to get it out, won't you?"

I had planned to show her my seat assignment in the United app, but oh well..
After verifying that I was indeed supposed to be sitting in the seat I had been in for 20 minutes, she started berating the other passenger instead of apologizing for the gate staff's mistake.

Oh boy, I wonder if this is the same FA I had - the wording sounds like something she would say too. She was just down right nasty. I just don't know how they get away with treating passengers poorly.

FlyfromDenver Jan 3, 2017 8:35 pm

Nor necessarily age

I need to jump in here - I don't necessarily see an old/young thing on good service in business class. About 2 years ago, I flew HKG to EWR and the FA who was the best was not young & was great.

To me, it's commitment to the job. In Sept, I had a older flight attendant who did a good job basically apologized to me because the flight to Rome was hours late and United did zip to notice this was my MM trip, particularly since all INTL travel is on my dime.

I am less than thrilled seeing the flogging of only older female attendants because there are lots of attendants who do the minimum.

But hey, guys, if you are looking for coffee, tea or me, please keep your legs together and use your own space when sitting next to me in E+.

IAH2MEL Jan 3, 2017 9:48 pm

MEL-LAX and LAX-MEL (both around mid-December)

I am positing because I do not think I saw any reviews for this leg, and it is a long one!

Bedding Equipment
Made quick friends with my seatmate on the first leg, and we made it almost a game of switching off asking the FA for all of the goodies:
PJs: I am 5'10 and 185 - given the L/XL - I liked that they were a little big
Mattress Pad: nice addition and only helped sleep
Gel pillow: I am indifferent to this one- it was a tad small. I much preferred the largest pillow as my main pillow for sleeping
Slippers: Not too sturdy, but great for trips to the bathroom

I asked for everything again on the return flight, as they only improve overall sleep. Though all of the materials make sleeping on the warmer side, I think this is the biggest upgrade from pre-Polaris, IMO.

Food/Beverage
PDB was same-ol, and I agree with many posters about the functionality of the plastic ware. Did not need the chocolate (neither here nor as the little gift upon arrival).
Dinner service was a slight step above my pre-Polaris BF flights. I did enjoy the Asian Fusion Soup on the return flight.
I appreciate the wine flight, but I did not find it necessary outside of tasting the three red or whites to help decide what I wanted to be served with the main course. I do not consider myself a picky drinker (motto- if it tastes good, I drink it), but I really only found the red blend offered to be drinkable. Thus, I ordered the blend straight away and skipped the flight on the return flight.
Mid-flight snacks - I tried the chicken fried rice on way and the lobster mac and cheese on the return - I thought both were miles above the cold "assortment" that is (and was) offered as an alternative.
Breakfast service, as like the dinner, was slightly above the previous soft product - nothing to write home about.

FAs
On the outbound flight - One was great, one was indifferent. As repetitious as this sounds, the quality of the FA do make a big difference.
The return flight I had a great experience with the FAs, largely due to the chief purser on-board. I wish I could recall his name, but he truly added to my overall enjoyment of the flight. Never had to ask more than once for the amenities.

I wont comment too much on the hard product, as that did not change.

Overall
Outside of FA service, which seem to make or break some flights, I think the overall shift towards a great sleep is something that I really appreciated from pre-Polaris. Taking advantage of all the bedding amenities not given automatically really enhanced the flight as a whole. As far as food, not a major advancement, but the addition of warm snacks is something I consider to be an improvement.

I look forward to (eventually) seeing the hard product when it becomes available.

SFO_FT Jan 4, 2017 9:03 am

The "Saks" duvet feels the same as the prior blue, and previously white, duvets. Other than the new grey color, I believe it's the same item.

ft4lyf Jan 4, 2017 11:17 am

Hello, recently on MUC-ORD the following were in my seat:
1. One thin blanket (off white / cream color); I used this as a bedsheet (LOL !!)
2. One white SAKS branded thicker thingamajig with the threads. Is this a blanket or mattress pad? I used it as a blanket.
3. amenity kit.
4. One small and one larger pillow. Sleeping on the larger pillow felt better for me.

So, did I not get the mattress pad?
Also, I thikn it was too late when I realized that they would provide slippers if we ask. I think they should offer it and let the customer decide if they want it.
I did not know slippers were available.

Of course, no PJ's...as flight was not 12 hours long. This is also not really the best way to do it. So some Polaris flights get different Polaris service than other Polaris flights.

FA's did not talk much about the products, etc. They were too busy and wanted to get through the service.

One person upgraded from Y to C at the gate (599$). The gate agent told him something about "Polaris".....I am positive that person sat in the middle of the 2-4-2 seating...wonder what he thought about "polaris" !! LOL!

Global First was filled (7 of 8 seats) with UA families. (Off-topic).
I still find it amazing that UA doesnt upgrade its own paid-C Elites to GF....but just gives it to their families. I am happy the employees get this deal...but sad for the Elites paying top dollar. (Off-topic completed).

The middle section of the 2-4-2 seating really does not have space for all these extra blankets, pillows, etc.

jsn55 Jan 4, 2017 11:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver (Post 27700961)
I need to jump in here - I don't necessarily see an old/young thing on good service in business class. About 2 years ago, I flew HKG to EWR and the FA who was the best was not young & was great.

To me, it's commitment to the job. In Sept, I had a older flight attendant who did a good job basically apologized to me because the flight to Rome was hours late and United did zip to notice this was my MM trip, particularly since all INTL travel is on my dime.

I am less than thrilled seeing the flogging of only older female attendants because there are lots of attendants who do the minimum.

But hey, guys, if you are looking for coffee, tea or me, please keep your legs together and use your own space when sitting next to me in E+.

I agree about the age description, it's kinda nasty. I only fly UA domestically, and have had no problems with 'older' FAs. I did encounter one SFO-HNL who could barely say hello, but she kept my sparkling wine topped up the whole flight, so I forgave her. When we are confronted with nastiness, we should use my husband's ploy: First a long look and then, "Are you having a bad day?" That question, spoken kindly, works every time to jolt the person out of whatever funk they were in.

The use of age as a describer was just easier I guess. We should describe them as "cranky".

nycflyer222 Jan 4, 2017 3:30 pm

Flew NRT-DEN and the mid-flight snacks and service were far better than EWR-HKG. I said it before and will say again, EWR-HKG needs an add'l full meal service. :)

EWR764 Jan 4, 2017 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27705245)
Flew NRT-DEN and the mid-flight snacks and service were far better than EWR-HKG. I said it before and will say again, EWR-HKG needs an add'l full meal service. :)

Pre-Polaris, the midflight service was a more substantial noodle bowl. Can't say I was ever awake for it, though. Maybe once? The on-demand options seem better for most of the flights, especially in the 10-12 hour range that have two services, plus a meager selection of cold snacks.

mrswirl Jan 4, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27705245)
I said it before and will say again, EWR-HKG needs an add'l full meal service. :)

Not sure I agree. I can see pushing "dinner" service (even though it's mid-day in EWR) out an hour or so and doing a leisurely appetizer/cocktail course first so it doesn't feel so rushed right after takeoff. I like being able to watch a couple of movies then sleep a full 8 hours before breakfast service and landing. Don't really feel the need to gorge myself on airline food.

The worst are the 6-8 hour TATLs where it's hard to get a meal service in and still allow for decent sleep time.