FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

GrafShutka Jan 5, 2017 5:17 pm

FRA to IAD in Polaris First

First time flight in Polaris First Class at the end of December.

Lounge at FRA is just Lufthansa Senator (if you have Star Alliance Gold status) so nothing special on the ground.

Access to plane from Gate Z20 was a long marble stairway (no elevator or escalator) resulting in my Duty Free bottle of single malt smashing on the stairs.

On board, Row 1 seating is just the same as before (tired, worn but spacious) with a lot of pillows and blankets. Was offered a nice sparkling wine (out of a miniature bottle) as a pre departure drink.

Once in the air, consulted the wine list and asked for a glass of the Washington State Sauvignon Blanc. Was told they don't have any so took a glass of Chardonnay. An hour later, the FA came back saying they had "found the SauvB so had a glass of that. When I asked for a second glass was told that would be impossible as they only boarded 1 bottle. Switched to the new Champagne which wasn't bad for something that only costs $30 in the shop.

There was no curtain separating First Class from the rest of the plane so there was a constant procession of passengers from the back going to the First Class toilet with no attempt by the FAs to dissuade them leading to several occasions when one of the 8 F passengers had to wait.

The meal service was nothing special but included a mushroom soup.

There were no wine flights offerings but the Bloody Mary cart was pushed around after the main course.

Half an hour before landing, I asked for a glass of the Spanish red wine, was told that would be impossible. When I suggested that is because they have run out of wine (also the reason for no wine flights) I was told no, it is because it is United policy not serve any drinks in First Class 30 minutes before landing. This confirmed my assumption.

How on earth can United hope to compete with European carriers with this kind of service? Renaming the cabin and changing the crockery will not help if both the hard and soft product only rates 1 star out of ten.

physioprof Jan 5, 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 27700117)
You have hardened, entrenched crabs that have treated customers like the enemy for 30 or 40 years. A little extra training is not going to change that. What is needed is a complete culture change. That means about 1/3 of current FAs need to go. I would just fire them. But, it would actually be worth it to United to pay them to leave.

In my view, while there may be some FAs who "need to go", it is far far fewer than 1/3. I would say it is more like 1/20.

RandomBaritone Jan 5, 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by GrafShutka (Post 27711739)
How on earth can United hope to compete with European carriers with this kind of service?

They can't compete with European first class service, and they know it, which is why Polaris First will vanish once all current three-class planes are equipped with the new Polaris Business seat.

Plane-is-home Jan 5, 2017 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 27711973)
They can't compete with European first class service, and they know it, which is why Polaris First will vanish once all current three-class planes are equipped with the new Polaris Business seat.

That kind of behavior can't compete with European biz class either

RandomBaritone Jan 5, 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 27712030)
That kind of behavior can't compete with European biz class either

In my experience that kind of open indefference is rare, and I've never had particularly spectacular service in J on European carriers. UA generally holds its own.

phxrsng Jan 5, 2017 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 27712304)
In my experience that kind of open indefference is rare, and I've never had particularly spectacular service in J on European carriers. UA generally holds its own.

This matches my experience. Most European carrier J experience for me is Lufthansa, and I found pros and cons to each compared to UA J. Between the two I would choose on schedule and connection, mostly, for TATL J and be content with either. And this was UA BF, so Polaris (with hard product) may edge it to UA.

jp12687 Jan 5, 2017 8:56 pm

UA 134 which ended up Bexoming a plane swap.

first to board. Never got menus until she came around to take orders (the rest of cabin got menus)

half the cabin got got the little cup and tray thing the other half got blue cups.

too much stuff and no storage.

rduer Jan 6, 2017 4:07 am

Aweful

2 Attachment(s)
Had my 3rd Transpac since the Polaris launch and have to say the disappointment continues, the food I believe is worse than it was before.No choice of bread just preserved pretzel bun and the worst garlic bread I have ever had ,cold and semi dough like,some kind of dried out minced up salad served with prawn and fish in a glue like coating. Main of beef was edible but swimming in liquid.Reasonable selection of semi frozen cheese with one packet of prepacked crackers , no other choice..... tier 2 coach class products served on white plates.
:td::td::td::td::td:

Xyzzy Jan 6, 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 27711547)
Or just your standard lazy EWR based FAs?

The FAs were excellent. We were still at the gate and they did call about this but apparently were t:old that the station had none.

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 27711608)
...BTW, is there a "Polaris Lounge" planned for EWR?

Yes. My understanding is that it will be where the C3 UA club is n:eek:w, with a new UA club to be built elsewhere.

Pat89339 Jan 6, 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 27677632)
They won't bring the Polaris seat to the 757...

I flew BFS-EWR on 1/3/17 and had to correct the purser who was busy explaining the new all aisle access seats will be installed this year on the plane. I told her they would not fit and UA is looking into options. She was very disappointed.

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon (Post 27686348)
12/30 - UA2

The salad was fine but they need to pass out pliers to get the cap off the dressing bottle.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I can't open that little bottle, but since the salad was awful I guess it didn't matter.

The one item that I had on the BFS-EWR flight that no one else has mentioned so far was a sheet! That was fantastic. I am always so hot on the plane and the last thing I need is a comforter or blanket. The FA asked if I wanted a sheet. They are rather industrial looking with UNITED and the globe logo stamped in black ink near the hem, but it was perfect. Just enough to keep drafts off of you.

One problem I see with all the extras of blankets and pillows, especially on the 757, half of all the overhead bins were taken up with the undistributed mattress pads, blankets, etc. I wondered if everyone would get to stow their carry ons.

lincolnjkc Jan 6, 2017 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 27715949)
I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I can't open that little bottle, but since the salad was awful I guess it didn't matter.

The fiancee and I both reached the same conclusion on CDG-EWR -- hands, wrapping the napkin around the top, trying my shirt, tapping it on the seat, then trying all of the above. And the FA call for both of our seats was INOP so couldn't effectively request assistance... And that salad without dressing was inedible.

Noted it on the "you're one of the first flying Polaris" survey and got a canned and unsympathetic, "Sorry you didn't like our world-class food" (without even acknowledging the other service failures/Polaris blemishes I noted)

findark Jan 6, 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 27716042)
The fiancee and I both reached the same conclusion on CDG-EWR -- hands, wrapping the napkin around the top, trying my shirt, tapping it on the seat, then trying all of the above.

+1. Took me three or four minutes using my knife as a wedge to force apart each place where the cap was attached.

villox Jan 6, 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 27716613)
+1. Took me three or four minutes using my knife as a wedge to force apart each place where the cap was attached.

Might be time to become better prepared for Polaris flights...

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Mini-To...dp/B00KRO4IP2/

Simpar Jan 6, 2017 3:14 pm

There are a lot of negative comments about United FAs and for good reason.
As someone who has been flying ( have very few alternatives out of IAH) for many years on Continental and now United, I could share many awful experiences and a few good ones.

One of the biggest challenges in a merged organization is for the leadership to instill a sense of pride in the new entity and for all staff and management to embrace the new culture.

Unfortunately the leadership did a very poor job in integrating the teams
Clearly the previous CEO was not a good leader and was forced out by the BOD for payoffs/favors to the buddies of governor Christie on NJ/NY Transit Authority.
It is incredible that even now some of the people on the ground at the lounge in SFO and Chicago and FAs on some flights refer to themselves at "United people" and others as "Continental people"

You will not hear anyone at ExxonMobil refer to themselves as "Exxon people" or "Mobil people"

I have also heard staff in Houston talk about how the Continental reservation system was so much better than United's etc.

If this is so obvious externally i can only imagine how dysfunctional it must be internally.

So not only did they need to improve the seats and lounges but more importantly they need to focus on improving the training of their staff.
I have encountered some wonderful people at the EWR lounge but have had terrible experiences with gate agents and FAs many of whom are sullen, very rude and not interested in providing great service even in first and business class!

wco81 Jan 6, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 27716651)
Might be time to become better prepared for Polaris flights...

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Mini-To...dp/B00KRO4IP2/

Reviews say tools don't actually work.

Just pack small needle nose pliers for that dressing cap?