Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Slippers?

SFO-LHR and return in GF. I know it is not a PJ route, but will there be slippers? My search function gives inconsistent information, so I'd appreciate any recent experiences from people who have been on non-PJ routes. Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 747FC
SFO-LHR and return in GF. I know it is not a PJ route, but will there be slippers? My search function gives inconsistent information, so I'd appreciate any recent experiences from people who have been on non-PJ routes. Thank you.
I got them from EWR-GVA in GF. I don't remember if it was this month or last though.

I don't remember if I did on the return.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by United747
I got them from EWR-GVA in GF. I don't remember if it was this month or last though.

I don't remember if I did on the return.
Thanks, United747!

On another note, I thought I might be facing an appellation-related identity crisis, but I can only imagine what you are going through...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 747FC
Have requested & received slippers on all Polaris flights regardless of length. One FA on a TATL flight thought they were only for Asia flights, so I helped her with the correct info
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Have requested & received slippers on all Polaris flights regardless of length. One FA on a TATL flight thought they were only for Asia flights, so I helped her with the correct info
On behalf of Polaris flyers everywhere, I thank you for your service!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, that's one area where AA is nicer. I flew LAX-SYD last year and there were slippers in each of the pods already.

And they passed out PJs some time after takeoff.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by wco81
Hmm, that's one area where AA is nicer. I flew LAX-SYD last year and there were slippers in each of the pods already.

And they passed out PJs some time after takeoff.
I've had slippers at my seat for every Polaris flight I've taken.... I fly TPAC though, not sure if that makes a difference...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
SFO-CDG slippers were provided upon request.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by warrenw
I've had slippers at my seat for every Polaris flight I've taken.... I fly TPAC though, not sure if that makes a difference...
This has been my experience too except for a SYD-SFO flight a few weeks back. The ISM said that they are given out by request only?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:35 pm

How about the seats on this 787? Nicer than Polaris, surely!

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bo...photo-12916813
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by warrenw
Somewhere up thread or on another Polaris FT threads someone posted the amenity provisioning for Polaris. For Asia flights slippers are supposed to be at the seats when the pax board all others have them available on request.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pfpdx
SFO-CDG slippers were provided upon request.
I've never asked in business on my TATL flights. That's good to know for the future.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
How about the seats on this 787? Nicer than Polaris, surely!

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bo...photo-12916813
The ones in the back? Look like 2-2-2 off the rack seats, not too much different than the current ones, but different design.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure this is the best thread but I just took my first 77W and thought I'd share some of my observations. It was EWR-SFO. I then took SFO-FRA on a 747 so it was easy to compare.

I was seated in 9A, bulkhead. First and foremost, there is definitely alot more privacy as you no longer have someone next to you. I can see where families may have issue with this but there are the center pairs where the wall goes down. It is nice to have the small table on the side, though its position is too far forward so it is a bit awkward to use unlike the side on the UD of a 747 that runs down the length. AV controls are just above the table so kind of far away unless you take out the remote so I found myself using the touch screen more. I did tend to sit closer to the screen. There is a wall running forward to back which leaves a several inch gap between the actual wall and your seat. It definitely makes the seat seem alot more narrow. Still on the narrow theme, the leg rest is only wide enough for one of my legs. Also, the tray table is too narrow. It is extra long but not wide enough to have a normal laptop and a mouse to the side.
The seat control is nice with the wheel but it is hard to have it do what you want. It will move the seat forward a few in before it begins reclining. If you went too far and move the wheel back, the seat moves backwards several inches before the seat comes back up. So if you want just the right recline and just the right seat position, you may have to go back and forth a few times. This will also affect the leg rest position so its best to adjust that after you've chosen your seat position. The seat level is above the ottoman level so its actually a comfortable foot rest. When you go to bed mode, the seat gradually lowers down so its all at the same level. There are two buttons for lumbar control but it isnt clear what they do.
The entertainment system seems nicer (better responsiveness). I think it is the same as whats on the 752 PS flights as well. Ch9 was available, though it seems to be tuned into multiple simultaneous frequencies so you hear overlapping. Wifi let me purchase but would not work "Internet service is pending activation".
With the wall height not being adjustable, you definitely feel the narrow-ness when sleeping. It is a little coffin like. if sleeping on your back, you can't bend your knees much, watch your shins hitting the tray table. if you are a side sleeper, you can pretty much only sleep on one side otherwise your knees go into the wall. if you are a stomach sleeper, there is a bit more width towards the top. Though note that when the seat back is flat, it is surrounded by a plastic tray of sorts around the sides of the seat. I didn't really sleep on this flight so can't comment much, but I don't think it will be alot more comfortable than the old seats. Being in the bulkhead, you do get alot of room for your feet though.
There is very little storage space like with the old seats. Maybe you can fit a laptop bag under the ottoman depending on your seat. its lower than the old seats so less height. there are other tiny storage spaces. space under the monitor is taller but shorter. There's a storage space for the head phones. maybe a small ladies purse can fit.

Overall, I think the biggest advantage of the seat is more privacy and overall being in newer condition. The side wall and the tray table pretty much ruin the seat. I definitely like the freedom to bend my knees. I think I'd still choose the 747UD over this depending on the situation.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Not sure this is the best thread but I just took my first 77W and thought I'd share some of my observations. It was EWR-SFO. I then took SFO-FRA on a 747 so it was easy to compare.

.... The side wall and the tray table pretty much ruin the seat. I definitely like the freedom to bend my knees. I think I'd still choose the 747UD over this depending on the situation.
That solution will only work for a few more months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.