Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:05 pm

A couple Basic economy questions

Hi. I purchased Basic economy tickets for my family of 4 from ORD-LAX(we saved $150 per ticket doing it this way vs standard economy). I understand the rules, but there are a couple of areas where I would like clarification if anyone knows:
1. Online check-in. It states that you can only do online check-in if you are checking a bag. Is this per party or per person? I am planning to pack us all in 1 large suitcase (or 2 medium ones if I can't keep it under 50 lbs). Can we check in online since we will be checking a bag,or no since we won't have a bag per person?

2. Seats. We have not paid to select our seats, but still have that option if need be. My kids will be 4 and 18 months when we fly (18 month old has a ticket and will be flying in a car seat). Will they separate us from our children if we dont buy seats together? My husband and I don't need to be together, and we don't really care where on the plane we are, but obviously each kid needs to be with a parent. When I booked I assumed it was a no brainer that kids that young would automatically be seated my a parent, but I am reading stories online of 2 year olds being seated away from either parent, which seems bizarre to me.

TIA!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
If all four of you are on the same PNR, I assume that you will all be able to check in at the same time, even if luggage is being assigned only to one or two of the pax.

You are in exactly the situation for seating that BE is not designed for. Assuming you are on a narrowbody plane, you are going to need two window seats with a middle next to them. This is because a car seat must be in the window position. Unless the flight is very lightly loaded, this will require UA FAs (the GA likely won't do it), to reseat pax out of their window seats. While it likely will be done, it will generate a lot of extra work and ill-will.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:17 pm

No idea on #1 . As for #2 , to my knowledge the basic economy seat assignment algorithm does not have any logic built into it that differentiates "child" tickets from "adult" tickets. So it will most likely not seat you together. If you saved $450 already, spending some of that savings to guarantee seats at least for one of you and the car seat child is probably the right move if for nothing more than peace of mind leading up to the trip.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jlk88
Hi. I purchased Basic economy tickets for my family of 4 from ORD-LAX(we saved $150 per ticket doing it this way vs standard economy). I understand the rules, but there are a couple of areas where I would like clarification if anyone knows:
1. Online check-in. It states that you can only do online check-in if you are checking a bag. Is this per party or per person? I am planning to pack us all in 1 large suitcase (or 2 medium ones if I can't keep it under 50 lbs). Can we check in online since we will be checking a bag,or no since we won't have a bag per person?

2. Seats. We have not paid to select our seats, but still have that option if need be. My kids will be 4 and 18 months when we fly (18 month old has a ticket and will be flying in a car seat). Will they separate us from our children if we dont buy seats together? My husband and I don't need to be together, and we don't really care where on the plane we are, but obviously each kid needs to be with a parent. When I booked I assumed it was a no brainer that kids that young would automatically be seated my a parent, but I am reading stories online of 2 year olds being seated away from either parent, which seems bizarre to me.

TIA!
it seems to be bizarre to me to buy a product that doesn’t meet your needs, just because it is priced for less. If it’s important to be seated with your family, than you need to pay for a fare that allows seat selection, or buy basic and pay for the seat selection in advance. I have a 4 and 1 year old, and I won’t buy basic because it doesn’t make sense. I want the option of making a change (even though i rarely need to, but want the option), and I’m definitely not getting into a seating issue unless there’s no way for me to avoid (Ie, IRROPS). My wife and I can live with sitting away from each other - we can’t live with being away from our kids. It’s not good for us, not good for the kids, and definitely not good for the people sitting next to them.

That all said - I don’t think there are reports of UA intentionally sitting companions away from each other, but with full planes in most cases, there very well could be an issue where there aren’t seats together at check in time. UA is upfront and explicit about families and companions not [necessarily] sitting together if they are on a basic fare. That means you should assume that you won’t be. That means you should be buying seat selection.

please don’t be the family that goes around begging people for swaps because you decided to not buy a fare where allowing you to sit together. When I’m flying on my own these days, i am now (unfortunately) extremely reluctant to swap if asked because of this very issue. I understand everyone has different budgets, and completely get that you don’t want to pay more for your fare than you have to. But with kids that young, buy something that allows you to select seats. It’s $ that you shouldn’t ever regret spending.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... When I booked I assumed it was a no brainer that kids that young would automatically be seated my a parent, but I am reading stories online of 2 year olds being seated away from either parent, which seems bizarre to me....
Unfortunately once people learned that a "child" ticket would override the seating algorithm, guess what would happen -- everyone's companion would become a child. It is amazing how some will game the system. If you book via UA (and not some other online travel site) , UA will warn you of the possibility and then is giving you an option to avoid the possibility.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

it seems to be bizarre to me to buy a product that doesn’t meet your needs, just because it is priced for less. If it’s important to be seated with your family, than you need to pay for a fare that allows seat selection, or buy basic and pay for the seat selection in advance. I have a 4 and 1 year old, and I won’t buy basic because it doesn’t make sense. I want the option of making a change (even though i rarely need to, but want the option), and I’m definitely not getting into a seating issue unless there’s no way for me to avoid (Ie, IRROPS). My wife and I can live with sitting away from each other - we can’t live with being away from our kids. It’s not good for us, not good for the kids, and definitely not good for the people sitting next to them.

That all said - I don’t think there are reports of UA intentionally sitting companions away from each other, but with full planes in most cases, there very well could be an issue where there aren’t seats together at check in time. UA is upfront and explicit about families and companions not [necessarily] sitting together if they are on a basic fare. That means you should assume that you won’t be. That means you should be buying seat selection.

please don’t be the family that goes around begging people for swaps because you decided to not buy a fare where allowing you to sit together. When I’m flying on my own these days, i am now (unfortunately) extremely reluctant to swap if asked because of this very issue. I understand everyone has different budgets, and completely get that you don’t want to pay more for your fare than you have to. But with kids that young, buy something that allows you to select seats. It’s $ that you shouldn’t ever regret spending.
​​​​​​1. Not everyone has unlimited funds to pick the most ideal travel situation. This particular trip is for my brother's wedding that was planned after my family already spent our vacation budget earlier this year. Being able to fly for $450 for all of us instead of $1100 is huge and means we can all go. I won't fly with a lap child to save $$.
2. I have no intention of being that person who asks people to swap seats. I used to fly a lot as a single person and surprisingly was never asked. I would have been annoyed too, since I always bought a ticket that included a seat, or paid the $15 or whatever on budget airlines to ensure a window seat.
I didn't realize that the BE seat assignments are computer generated. I can still buy them (for like $110 total), I just assumed no ticket agent is going to look at an 18 month old passenger and sit him away from a parent.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
​​​​​​ ... I didn't realize that the BE seat assignments are computer generated. I can still buy them (for like $110 total), I just assumed no ticket agent is going to look at an 18 month old passenger and sit him away from a parent.
By the time you see an actual person, the seat assignments have been made.in most situations. And during the summer there typically are not a lot of spare double seats on the flights. UA may block some seats for late assignment but all it takes to is 2-3-4 families on the flight in your situation to show up and there are no options left..
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As mentioned upthread, there is no indication that UA deliberately separates you on a Basic Economy ticket. The computer will do a best-effort to keep you together if you are on the same PNR. But you run a very real risk of there not being two pairs of seats together at check-in if many other pax have paid for their seat assignments. UA is not as good as some other carriers (DL) about blocking whole rows to deal with family issues.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
​​​​​​Being able to fly for $450 for all of us instead of $1100 is huge
I won't fly with a lap child to save $$
I can still buy them (for like $110 total)
It sounds like for less than the Economy upcharge for a single ticket (or similarly, the cost of your no-lap-child preference), you can Basic-ally have your cake and eat it too. Not having kids of my own, yet having observed dozens of flights of exasperated parents, this seems like the reasonable and as others have noted socially responsible thing to do.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
​​​​​​1. Not everyone has unlimited funds to pick the most ideal travel situation. This particular trip is for my brother's wedding that was planned after my family already spent our vacation budget earlier this year. Being able to fly for $450 for all of us instead of $1100 is huge and means we can all go. I won't fly with a lap child to save $$.

I didn't realize that the BE seat assignments are computer generated. I can still buy them (for like $110 total), I just assumed no ticket agent is going to look at an 18 month old passenger and sit him away from a parent.
I don’t think anyone would object to your first point provided you’re not expecting a stranger to accommodate you. It doesn’t look as if you are.

You made a bad assumption—we all do it. If you want to make sure you sit with your kid, you should go ahead and pay for the seat.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
2. I have no intention of being that person who asks people to swap seats. I used to fly a lot as a single person and surprisingly was never asked. I would have been annoyed too, since I always bought a ticket that included a seat, or paid the $15 or whatever on budget airlines to ensure a window seat.
I've always booked BE for my family (including a lap infant and toddler) when flying UA and never had an issue. We've always been seated together. We've also always been on CRJ-200s, so the seating is 2x2. Since there are no middle seats, I'm not really worried about what would happen if we were split up (worst case scenario is that me and the toddler request the "poop seats", 13A and B). The computer has always assigned us 2A, B, and C at check-in though.

If your plane is 3x3 then BE is a much riskier proposition, in my opinion.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I've always booked BE for my family (including a lap infant and toddler) when flying UA and never had an issue. We've always been seated together. We've also always been on CRJ-200s, so the seating is 2x2. Since there are no middle seats, I'm not really worried about what would happen if we were split up (worst case scenario is that me and the toddler request the "poop seats", 13A and B). The computer has always assigned us 2A, B, and C at check-in though.

If your plane is 3x3 then BE is a much riskier proposition, in my opinion.
Thanks. We are on 3x3s. A320 and 757-300. For our initial flight I am definitely leaning towards booking the seats. I'm not as worried about the return flight because my mom, step-dad, and 2 stepsisters (19 & 15) are on it with us (also booked BE). So we have higher odds of an adult being by each child, and more seats to play with. It's also a red-eye, so may not be full.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we have higher odds of an adult being by each child
Not really. It depends upon the specific passenger mix on the flight. If there are enough travelers with Premier status, you may find that there is nothing available but middle seats by the time they start to assign seats to BE passengers.

It's also a red-eye, so may not be full.
You'd be surprised. At a minimum, I would keep an eye on the seat map and be prepared to act if the number of available seats starts to dwindle.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 am

Thanks. We are on 3x3s. A320 and 757-300. For our initial flight I am definitely leaning towards booking the seats. I'm not as worried about the return flight because my mom, step-dad, and 2 stepsisters (19 & 15) are on it with us (also booked BE). So we have higher odds of an adult being by each child, and more seats to play with. It's also a red-eye, so may not be full.
I often book a week out when going to ORD and usually only find middle seats left when i book. The odds of there being two sets of seats together on this route at 24 hours out can often be quite low. But on the red-eye you may be OK depending on the day of the week. I took the red eye last night and it only had exit rows and middle seats left when i checked in at T-24...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
It's also a red-eye, so may not be full.
Note that on red-eye's a lot of pax opt for window seats because they can lean their head on fuselage to sleep. And it is window seats that you need because if your kids are in car seats, these must be placed in the window position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.