Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
At the (old) GFL now (10am PST). Every seat taken. people walking laps to spot someone leaving. Some just eating standing up. Staff are busting to keep up and are really working hard. They need more help.

No lines at check-in but they looked harried. Getting berated by *G folks who are being turned away, but the banner outside clearly states its only for J/F.

Will see if it has improved in a week on the return trip!!
Check-in looked reasonable.

I handed over my phone with my AC J BP, and she said "Oh Air Canada is using our --" and something caught her eye. Likely the "business class".

She scanned it, it worked, and I'm in.

Then I went to my gate, tehre was a delay, so I came back, and a different agent had no problem letting me in.

The big sign out front says:

- United Polaris Business/First
- Star Alliance business and first class

There is no mention of "long haul" on that line.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
JHake10 - So are they still offering champagne, or has that been discontinued?
It's still here, and self-pour.

Originally Posted by samjnz
So it's just the usual boring soup, cheese, crackers and cookies for food in the GFL now?

That's a big downgrade from the Singapore lounge
I also saw some sandwich wraps. I'm not looking for food at 4pm, but I'm quite pleased by the bar selection. It has what I'd get in Centurion, but it's self pour, and halfway between security and my gate
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
JHake10 - So are they still offering champagne, or has that been discontinued?
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's still here, and self-pour.
canadiancow - Thank you for checking, as I will be visiting the lounge in a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
canadiancow - Thank you for checking, as I will be visiting the lounge in a couple of weeks.
Me too. This is excellent news. 🥂
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big sign out front says:

- United Polaris Business/First
- Star Alliance business and first class

There is no mention of "long haul" on that line....
The "long haul" wording only applies to Polaris lounges. The former GFL is not a Polaris lounge. When the Polaris Lounge opens next year (or 2019, or 2020, or...) is when Canada-bound front-cabin passengers will have to resign themselves to the Rotunda or E UCs.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 6, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The "long haul" wording only applies to Polaris lounges. The former GFL is not a Polaris lounge. ...
But this signage in SFO also refers to "long-haul"
Originally Posted by kluau88
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I wonder how they're going to enforce that? List of eligible flights? The agents are going to love the arguments that will inevitably ensue.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wonder how they're going to enforce that? List of eligible flights? The agents are going to love the arguments that will inevitably ensue.
That has been a GFL requirement for years and now is a ORD Polaris requirement, so this is just more of the same.

The basic definition has been a flight from North America to non-American location. So intra-North American flights do not qualify. The scanner / computer should be able to handle the Go/No Go.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...The scanner / computer should be able to handle the Go/No Go.
Since there's reports of AC passengers getting in, maybe the scanners/computers are set to UC rules and agents are parsing entry? If Polaris rules are set (and assuming the recent long-haul requirement has been coded), they should be getting the gong.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I don’t have a picture, but on Wednesday, the sign in front of the GFL did not say long haul. Only “star alliance first and business.”
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But the sign outside the GFL does not.

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I don’t have a picture, but on Wednesday, the sign in front of the GFL did not say long haul. Only “star alliance first and business.”
I have one

The wording is very specific. What would an AC J passenger with no status do? The sign says *G can head to a UC, and that this lounge is for business class. Pretty clear that the sign designers expected AC J pax to use this lounge.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the sign outside the GFL does not...
Looks like UA's left hand was in charge of one sign and UA's right hand was in charge of other. The lounge is so small, it should only be for long-haul departures. I think UA will adjust to the desk-top sign eventually.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:55 pm

... The wording is very specific. What would an AC J passenger with no status do? The sign says *G can head to a UC, and that this lounge is for business class. Pretty clear that the sign designers expected AC J pax to use this lounge.
Maybe, maybe not. Why would UA transborder J be denied and AC transborder J not?

Obviously, AC long-haul J, similar in scope to UA Polaris would be included, but seems transborder (UA or AC) may be destiny for F or E UCs. Note this is the same separation that is occurring at the ORD Polaris lounge (but it took awhile for UA to make that call).

Definitively a fuzzy policy, given the mixed messages of the signs. Would call this an open issue for now.

Note also the old GFL is not being called a UC.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Obviously, AC long-haul J, similar in scope to UA Polaris would be included, but seems transborder (UA or AC) may be destiny for F or E UCs.
But there will never be AC long-haul J departing from an airport with a Polaris lounge. So AC flight will never provide basis for Polaris access.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
But there will never be AC long-haul J departing from an airport with a Polaris lounge. So AC flight will never provide basis for Polaris access.
Duh!! -- true{domesticly}, got carried away with the analogy.

Well, LHR in a bit and NRT, HKG at some point, but agreed not for a while
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:36 pm

Well, LHR in a bit and NRT, HKG at some point
Good point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.