Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 764toHI
...Although if p.s. flights are marketed as "Business" class flights after the launch of Polaris, maybe there will be no access.
My original p.s. BusinessFirst flight LAX-EWR 12/10/16 switched from "BusinessFirst" to "Business". I think it p.s. front-cabin passengers will have access to UCs, not Polaris Lounges. Makes sense, especially at EWR, where p.s. passengers to LAX and SFO would swamp a Polaris Lounge. I'm sure VIPs will get some "courtesies" unavailable to Joe Blow in p.s. Business.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Think it's pretty clear cut p.s. passengers will not have access to Polaris lounges, but access to the Arrivals lounge in SFO is still a grey area. Although access was never broadly advertised by UA in the past so maybe this is a moot conversation.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I was at SFO GFL yesterday -- yes, it's still open. The agent said that she thought it would remain as a GFL until around the middle of 2017 -- at the very least, until the Polaris lounge opens.

The way they have already re-configured it, the lounge could be re-labeled as a regular UC tomorrow if they wanted. No construction needed.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I was at SFO GFL yesterday -- yes, it's still open. The agent said that she thought it would remain as a GFL until around the middle of 2017 -- at the very least, until the Polaris lounge opens.

The way they have already re-configured it, the lounge could be re-labeled as a regular UC tomorrow if they wanted. No construction needed.
This! I'm sitting in it right now. It's not closed and the GS agent mentioned it would be here for at least another 6 months while other decisions were made.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by cayenne
This! I'm sitting in it right now. It's not closed and the GS agent mentioned it would be here for at least another 6 months while other decisions were made.
Yep, was told this when coming thru on the 23rd.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta, United, Virgin America, British Airways, JetBlue, Alaska
Big changes at SFO United Club, Polaris lounges

United's new Polaris concept will bring radical change to the airport lounge scene at San Francisco International over the next two years.

Here's what United has revealed to TravelSkills:

United Polaris Lounge

>The new United Polaris lounge at SFO will be located in the space now occupied by the existing United Club in Boarding Area G (near security) and will be one of the largest United Polaris lounges. Phase 1 of the new lounge is scheduled to open mid-2017 with a full completion by the end of 2017.

>The new Polaris lounge will have two levels. It will encompass the existing United Club space (upstairs) plus the footprint of the adjacent existing Singapore Air and Eva Airlines lounges (downstairs). The new United Polaris lounge will welcome these airlines’ passengers under the same entrance requirements for United passengers. (This represents a long-awaited upgrade to Singapore Air's dated lounge at SFO.)

>Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on long-haul international flights, as well as customers traveling in international first or business class cabins on Star Alliance partner airlines will have access to the United Polaris lounge. (I'm assuming this will be similar to the Star Alliance lounge at LAX, but awaiting clarification on this from United.)

Full post here
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by ticketatl
The new Polaris lounge will have two levels. It will encompass the existing United Club space (upstairs) plus the footprint of the adjacent existing Singapore Air and Eva Airlines lounges (downstairs). The new United Polaris lounge will welcome these airlines’ passengers under the same entrance requirements for United passengers. (This represents a long-awaited upgrade to Singapore Air's dated lounge at SFO.)
In other words, the SQ and BR lounges will close? I read in the Polaris lounge thread that the SQ lounge is closing, but I don't recall seeing anything about BR.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ticketatl
....Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on long-haul international flights, as well as customers traveling in international first or business class cabins on Star Alliance partner airlines will have access to the United Polaris lounge. (I'm assuming this will be similar to the Star Alliance lounge at LAX, but awaiting clarification on this from United.)

Full post here
What clarification do you need? Polaris Lounge will not be similar to *A lounge at LAX. *G on *A will not get you in like it does at LAX Star Alliance lounge..
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Was talking with the BR station manager the other day.

Apparently BR feels the food spread at UC is lackluster and are planning to contract with United to send top FFP(Diamond and Gold only, silver will go to UC) to the Polaris in addition to their Business class passengers. This makes sense since right now, Silver do not get access to the SFO lounge and on crowded nights when the BR pax spillover to the UC, BR sets up a table with food only for BR pax.

She said that should be the decision unless they suddenly decide otherwise.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
So where will 1K, Gold etc travelling in INtL Y go? A UC in the domestic terminal?

Edit: just saw the link. The GFL and some closet by gate 93 will become the new UC spaces. Seems tiny
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Call me an optimist, but I hope that the shower in the previous IFL remains in the pivot to being a United Club. If American, Delta and Amex can offer showers at SFO clubs...sure UA can, too. Right?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Call me an optimist, but I hope that the shower in the previous IFL remains in the pivot to being a United Club. If American, Delta and Amex can offer showers at SFO clubs...sure UA can, too. Right?
Is there only one? It would be nice before the late night flights to down under or SIN though.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Is there only one? It would be nice before the late night flights to down under or SIN though.
There are two. Not the capacity required for a general UC club.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
There are two. Not the capacity required for a general UC club.
The NRT RCC is the right model. Smisek and now Oscar have screwed up in LAX and soon will in SFO.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The NRT RCC is the right model. Smisek and now Oscar have screwed up in LAX and soon will in SFO.
The regular legacy domestic UA clubs did not have showers. Since the merger, some clubs have showers (courtesy of the legacy CO clubs that had them). Now SFO will have showers for all their forward-cabin, long-haul customers. Same for LAX, ORD, etc. Seems like progress to me. People left unwashed will be the Club members, *G, and pass holders in coach. United's striking a balance that not everybody will be happy with (especially the Club members, *G, and pass holders in coach).

I guess showers are not that big a deal for me - used them just a couple of times connecting in Singapore or Japan when going from Russian Far East to Europe. I offended myself on the first segments

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.