Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by schley
I didn't know it was open the entire time. At the very least furniture trade out is always needed for lounges in general and more power.
They did some updating in order to convert it to an international business class lounge.

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
have you been in it before? It isn’t like a regular UC. There’s plenty of power and the furniture is different
Actually, it's very much like many other updated UCs.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'm here now. The big difference between this and a regular UC: Instead of a staffed bar, there's a self-serve bar... which only offers the house wine and beer. So in that sense, it's very much worse than a regular United Club.

They had a sign at the T3 entrance apologizing for this very lounge being closed for renovations. I have to assume that those are in store so they address the beverage situation.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I'm here now. The big difference between this and a regular UC: Instead of a staffed bar, there's a self-serve bar... which only offers the house wine and beer. So in that sense, it's very much worse than a regular United Club.

They had a sign at the T3 entrance apologizing for this very lounge being closed for renovations. I have to assume that those are in store so they address the beverage situation.
Do you see (or recall, if you have already left the premise) if they have kept or removed the nice french champagne and chardonnay (Rombauer)?
Old May 10, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Do you see (or recall, if you have already left the premise) if they have kept or removed the nice french champagne and chardonnay (Rombauer)?
If only they had anything that good! Sorry, just Camelot white and red, plus Coors and Bud. On my way out, one of the agents said they expect to put in some sort of mobile bar, so they wouldn't need to close it for longer than a night or two.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Best joke of the day!!!!
schley likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They did some updating in order to convert it to an international business class lounge.

Actually, it's very much like many other updated UCs.
Way more sad. It used to be so much more.

I just passed through there a couple days ago. On the way out, an agent was redirecting someone to the Polaris lounge with the ringing endorsement that 'this one is kind of lousy.' Indeed!
Silver Fox and oopl like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did not look too update from the old F days except maybe a few more chairs. Food was not quite as good as old F lounge but definitely better than typical UC.

If this is true it is a big change from 3 weeks ago when the lounge had self-service high quality liquor (i.e. Hendricks gin) and $30/bottle self-serve champagne.

Of course, the downgrade makes sense if it is now simply to serve as a regular UC.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Did not look too update from the old F days except maybe a few more chairs. Food was not quite as good as old F lounge but definitely better than typical UC.

If this is true it is a big change from 3 weeks ago when the lounge had self-service high quality liquor (i.e. Hendricks gin) and $30/bottle self-serve champagne.

Of course, the downgrade makes sense if it is now simply to serve as a regular UC.
It is a 'regular' UC now, and the alcohol offerings are set accordingly—camelot, bud, coors light—except sans liquor. It was not a UC prior to the 30 April switchover, which is why they offered nicer liquor and nicer (albeit still degraded) food.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Tried to get into the SFO Polaris lounge on paid J Air Canada SFO-YYZ. Denied.

Annoyingly the UA Club at G98 is closed due to flooding, so down to the main terminal for me.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dordal
Annoyingly the UA Club at G98 is closed due to flooding, so down to the main terminal for me.
Flooding?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Yeah. Water main broke earlier today 'from the site next door' and flooded the club. They have a bunch of equipment there trying to dry it out but it looks pretty bad.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Yeah. Water main broke earlier today 'from the site next door' and flooded the club. They have a bunch of equipment there trying to dry it out but it looks pretty bad.
Looks like I dodged a bullet there. Was in that G98 lounge on Wednesday afternoon before going to ZRH. Would have been a long walk from T3. I always forget whether as *G there is any other lounge access at SFO? I know that LH and LX don't have anything and believe that the SQ lounge closed.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's not a nice lounge anyway, just convenient.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:55 am

So the SFO lounge woes continue. Will be there tonight, hope the other UCs are not overwhelmed (but they probably will be).
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Tried to get into the SFO Polaris lounge on paid J Air Canada SFO-YYZ. Denied.

(
US- Canada is not "long haul". Polaris Lounge is for long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.