Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Missing the late night SQ1, and EVA depature(s)
And the 00:50 CTU one (moving from midday)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Missing the late night SQ1, and EVA depature(s)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
And the 00:50 CTU one (moving from midday)
I think the OP was assuming those were irrelevant for the question of crowding, due to the fact that there are only a few late-night flights.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
I think the OP was assuming those were irrelevant for the question of crowding, due to the fact that there are only a few late-night flights.
Thanks to all for the corrections. I updated the numbers, and posted below.

Again, using generous assumptions (pax in lounge 2.5 hours to 30 minutes prior to departure time), the flow seems to peak between 11 am and 12 noon at about 470 eligible F&J passengers. Bump that up by 15% for transfers who make their way back and the lounge could get be crowded on the busiest of days.

But as EWR764 points out, that assumes 100% loads, 100% visits, and that visitors will be in the lounge for approximately 2 hours. So, net net, I agree they seem to have got it just about right.

In a few weeks we'll know the reality!
aCavalierInCoach and EWR764 like this.

Last edited by jcacciotti; Apr 15, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Current status of United Clubs at SFO?

My mother and sister are leaving Wednesday for Europe. They have a long layover at SFO (originating HNL-SFO, waiting for SFO-MUC) so I gave them the 2 day passes I got this year from my Mileage Plus Visa. I haven't used the UC at SFO for a couple of years so was wondering what the current status there is. Are there still 2 clubs, one in the domestic terminal, one in the international? Are they still so packed that they are turning day pass people away? The day passes aren't explicitly tied to my MP account but should I give my mother my account info just in case?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
My mother and sister are leaving Wednesday for Europe. They have a long layover at SFO (originating HNL-SFO, waiting for SFO-MUC) so I gave them the 2 day passes I got this year from my Mileage Plus Visa. I haven't used the UC at SFO for a couple of years so was wondering what the current status there is. Are there still 2 clubs, one in the domestic terminal, one in the international? Are they still so packed that they are turning day pass people away? The day passes aren't explicitly tied to my MP account but should I give my mother my account info just in case?
Assuming they aren’t flying Business class out of SFO, they will have a choice of 3 Clubs, none in the International Terminal. I’m not sure if there’s any restrictions on passes right now. The passes alone will suffice, along with boarding passes.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I’m not sure if there’s any restrictions on passes right now.
There are, depending on the time of day. Best they can do is try, but do not be surprised if they are refused access.

The different locations do sometimes have different rules for passes (depending on how busy they are), so if one location doesn't allow access, ask if the others are or not.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Given the duration, I think the rotunda club (in F pier) is both the nicest club and also the most likely to accept passes.
JHake10 and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Be sure to tell your mom and sister that the clubs in the International Terminal are not available to them.
The new Polaris lounge will be having a media preview that day, so there will be a bit of activity there and they could confuse it for a United Club. It will not be available. Also, the Business/First Departure Lounge (former Global First Lounge) will not accept United Club passes.

There is the Rotunda club, which as mentioned would be the best option.
There is a club at the start of Boarding Area E - where the 60s gates are located (farthest from International departures).
There is a club on the Mezzanine Level accessible via an elevator across from gate 71A. It has no windows and is a temporary club, but it has some workable space and may be less busy since lots of people still don't know it is there.

For more info - go to this link and choose San Francisco from the drop-down menu:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
What is the policy about access when entire itinerary is not upgraded or in business? I have a SFO-IAD-MAD where IAD-MAD is J and SFO-IAD is Y waitlisted for FC. Will I have Polaris lounge access if SFO-IAD does not clear?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
What is the policy about access when entire itinerary is not upgraded or in business? I have a SFO-IAD-MAD where IAD-MAD is J and SFO-IAD is Y waitlisted for FC. Will I have Polaris lounge access if SFO-IAD does not clear?
Yes. You just need a Polaris flight within the next 24hrs to enter. Doesn't matter about same ticket, waitlist, anything like that.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:59 am

Polaris lounge guest policy?

Is there a Polaris lounge guest policy? If I'm in J, can I bring a guest who's in Y?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:03 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Starman
Is there a Polaris lounge guest policy? If I'm in J, can I bring a guest who's in Y?
No guests. The only guest who would be allowed in the Polaris lounge would be if you had a First Class ticket.

This was verified by the GS manager at ORD on Sunday.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Polaris lounge access summary

Somewhat un-intuitively, there is a summary of Polaris lounge access rules in the wiki of the ORD thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-2016-a-7.html
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As others have said, the answer is no.

The United website has a chart for the Polaris Lounge that is easy to understand.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...can I bring a guest who's in Y?
If he/she can fit in your rollaboard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.