Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

i have a picture of the big poster outside the old UC. Specifically stated “long-haul”. The Air Canada passengers are temporarily benefiting from UA’s left hand not talking to the right hand not talking to it’s middle hand. Current lounge is supposed to be limited to passengers who would have access to Polaris lounge based on departuring flight. AC passengers would definitely not have access to Polaris lounge so their current scanner-enabled access is a beneficial UA screw-up for them, but a detriment to long haul passengers. When the Polaris lounge opens, they’ll be schlepping to the UC. If that’s their ultimate entitlement, there’s no reason UA shouldn’t implement the policy correctly now. Can’t blame AC passengers for capitalizing on UA’s screw-up.
I sent a note to my UA rep asking they pass it along to SFO management so they can either correct this error or confirm AC people are actually permitted inside. If it's an error, it should be corrected because it's not fair to Polaris and other *G/Business customers who are flying long haul per the purpose of the lounge if the seats are being taken up by people who are not really eligible to enter. If I can't enter this lounge flying SFO YVR on United, then someone flying SFO YVR on Air Canada should not be allowed in either.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...If I can't enter this lounge flying SFO YVR on United, then someone flying SFO YVR on Air Canada should not be allowed in either.
Kinda illuminates the problem w/ AC access (even beyond not being long-haul).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
..... AC folk are extra on displaying their tags.....
and maple leaf patches everywhere!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the international departure lounge right now. Not too crowded yet, but filling up. Wow the food is a big downgrade from GFL. Really no better than the UC.

Fwiw, agent at the front desk said "hopefully about a month" for the new Polaris lounge.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the international departure lounge right now. Not too crowded yet, but filling up. Wow the food is a big downgrade from GFL. Really no better than the UC.

Fwiw, agent at the front desk said "hopefully about a month" for the new Polaris lounge.
I was in the lounge a week ago. Many AC fliers - it is hard to miss all the maple leaf flags. Although the food is certainly a downgrade from the prior GFL, it is better than the UC in my opinion. And they don't run out.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
IAlthough the food is certainly a downgrade from the prior GFL, it is better than the UC in my opinion. And they don't run out.
Most of it looked identical to the UC spread . . . cheese cubes, salami, celery and carrot sticks, industrial chocolate chip cookies and brownies.

Liquor selection is obviously better - and free - but that's not my thing.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Most of it looked identical to the UC spread . . . cheese cubes, salami, celery and carrot sticks, industrial chocolate chip cookies and brownies.

Liquor selection is obviously better - and free - but that's not my thing.
I've only been there in the morning, prior to the Asia flights. Are there no sandwiches in the evening? I agree, what you describe is typical UC fare. Any soup?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OK I have an answer on the Air Canada issue. My concern was escalated directly to the lounge manager, and they replied through my rep that there is a contract in place that forces them to accept Air Canada customers at that GFL location. I don't have contract details, but my guess is it had something to do with providing lounge access in the G concourse, which the old lounge fulfilled. The good news is we are within 30 days or so of the Polaris Lounge opening at SFO (per SFO management), and once that lounge opens, Polaris rules apply and Air Canada customers will be permanently excluded unless they meet Polaris Lounge eligibility requirements.

So, Air Canada folks, put on those Roots toques, and much on those crackers, as your days are numbered!
chavala likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I've only been there in the morning, prior to the Asia flights. Are there no sandwiches in the evening? I agree, what you describe is typical UC fare. Any soup?
There's a little bit more than the UC, including some cold wraps and a slightly larger salad selection. I assume there's soup but didn't look closely. It's nothing like the GFL spread used to be. Seats are about 95% full now.

Meanwhile, he GFL tradition of guests skyping/watching videos without headphones continues.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK I have an answer on the Air Canada issue. My concern was escalated directly to the lounge manager, and they replied through my rep that there is a contract in place that forces them to accept Air Canada customers at that GFL location. I don't have contract details, but my guess is it had something to do with providing lounge access in the G concourse, which the old lounge fulfilled. The good news is we are within 30 days or so of the Polaris Lounge opening at SFO (per SFO management), and once that lounge opens, Polaris rules apply and Air Canada customers will be permanently excluded unless they meet Polaris Lounge eligibility requirements.

So, Air Canada folks, put on those Roots toques, and much on those crackers, as your days are numbered!
Cynically, I bet they are getting enough money from AC that they don't mind diluting their already-diminished product in exchange.

There's a little bit more than the UC, including some cold wraps and a slightly larger salad selection. I assume there's soup but didn't look closely. It's nothing like the GFL spread used to be. Seats are about 95% full now.

Meanwhile, he GFL tradition of guests skyping/watching videos without headphones continues.
There's a waldorf salad (mayonnaise, grapes, apples). You don't find that in the UC. Yum.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Cynically, I bet they are getting enough money from AC that they don't mind diluting their already-diminished product in exchange.
I bet you're right. It's always about the $$.

UA could have made up for the lack of a decent international lounge during construction by springing for a nice spread in the ex-GFL. Fat chance of that.

At check in, LH agent advised me I could use the United lounge. I asked her how crowded it was likely to be at that time . . . she rolled her eyes. I asked "do you get lots of complaints?" She just sighed.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Cynically, I bet they are getting enough money from AC that they don't mind diluting their already-diminished product in exchange...
I believe it's a pre-existing contract, so it's not about diluting their product today, but rather being required to fulfill the terms of the prior agreement regardless. When the large UC was open, that is the likely point in time something was negotiated, and when it closed in place of the smaller GFL space, Air Canada probably told them they would be sending passengers to the smaller location under the agreement. Thankfully the Polaris Lounge will terminate that requirement as the agreement was likely tied to the existence of a "United Club", and the Polaris Lounge is not a United Club, so Air Canada people will need to walk to a United Club location, or do without.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2018 at 12:59 am Reason: Let's stay allow from broad stroke comments based on nationality -- FT rule 12.2
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it's a pre-existing contract, so it's not about diluting their product today, but rather being required to fulfill the terms of the prior agreement regardless. When the large UC was open, that is the likely point in time something was negotiated, and when it closed in place of the smaller GFL space, Air Canada probably told them they would be sending passengers to the smaller location under the agreement. Thankfully the Polaris Lounge will terminate that requirement as the agreement was likely tied to the existence of a "United Club", and the Polaris Lounge is not a United Club, so Air Canada people will need to walk to a United Club location, or do without.
Although the backstory you've kindly sussed out and related does help explain the current debaclesituation—I don't know, the closure of the term-G UC seems enough to prompt renegotiating of whatever that contract was, if some party was sufficiently motivated. Money does a number on motivation, though.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2018 at 12:59 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dascc
How the capacity there? I'll be visiting around 8-9pm
Just to note I was recently denied access at ~9pm flying BR J with the dragon saying the lounge was full and they would not let BR passengers in until later. I was already having a bad day so I didn't press the issue and went to the Centurion.

I've been wondering if I should pursue compensation (didn't they previously at least hand out gift cards?); I get that if the lounge is full then it's full, but I also feel it's unacceptable to leave it at that. It's particularly annoying as my connecting flight to SFO was already the last option of the day, so it's not like I just showed up to the airport early for no reason.

To be fair, I'm through SFO often flying BR J and this is the first time I've actually been denied access, although on two occasions I've only been able to find empty single seats. This renovation can't be finished quickly enough.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by gengar
Just to note I was recently denied access at ~9pm flying BR J with the dragon saying the lounge was full and they would not let BR passengers in until later. I was already having a bad day so I didn't press the issue and went to the Centurion.

I've been wondering if I should pursue compensation (didn't they previously at least hand out gift cards?); I get that if the lounge is full then it's full, but I also feel it's unacceptable to leave it at that. It's particularly annoying as my connecting flight to SFO was already the last option of the day, so it's not like I just showed up to the airport early for no reason.

To be fair, I'm through SFO often flying BR J and this is the first time I've actually been denied access, although on two occasions I've only been able to find empty single seats. This renovation can't be finished quickly enough.
I've had to wait before, but I've never been explicitly turned away. Usually it's "you can wait here or take a $20 gift card for your troubles" not "come back in a few hours".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.