Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Was there today for about 90 minutes before 1:45 flight to FRA.

kind of busy but there were seats around noon.

walked past the Polaris Lounge.

some worker was polishing the glass doors.

i guess they want to spend a week before opening for Pr and preview events.

after the delays, maybe touting the PL should not be a high priority.

the people who fly out in premium the last few days before the opening may not look kindly on UA delaying for PR events.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by wco81
the people who fly out in premium the last few days before the opening may not look kindly on UA delaying for PR events.
Seriously? Cry me a river. They need to get over it.
  • Introducing it to your employees so they can explain it competently.
  • Allowing the media to cover it - to educate a wider audience longer term with blogs and news reports.
  • Giving the kitchen and wait staff time to practice with preview events for Mileage Plus members...

All make for a longer term better experience than the few poor souls flying this week that will miss it yet still have SOME other option.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
...Giving the kitchen and wait staff time to practice with preview events for Mileage Plus members...
100%. Opening it w/o giving staff some experience on how things are supposed to go would be just an invite for complaints like: "It was a disaster! Nobody knew what they were doing!"
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
NEW SFO Polaris Lounge thread

Will create a separate thread for the new SFO Polaris lounge -- for discussion of the lounge environment, food, service, ... and access.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018

Will keep this thread open for non-Polaris SFO lounge / UC discussion --the various UCs in the domestic terminal (E/F) and the conversion of the GFL to a UC in the international terminal (G).

The SFO Arrival lounge has its own thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ls-lounge.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the info, Mom and sis enjoyed the UC for their 6 hour layover in SFO. Great chance to recharge their batteries, both personally and electronically. From the pictures, they certainly enjoyed it ... and the fact they enjoyed the stopover makes me happier than using the passes myself would have.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: None anymore
Well I'll be using the lounge on it's last day for polaris customers on the 29th... If only they opened a day earlier!
Old May 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Just to let everyone know that the Global First Lounge is now a United Club next to G98.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by quar_k
Just to let everyone know that the Global First Lounge is now a United Club next to G98.
I was wondering about this. So the former GFL is now officially a United Club?
Old May 3, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That's fantastic for *G flying economy class from international terminal as this lounge is far more convenient than the alternatives. Of course, nobody in their right mind would skip the Polaris lounge if they have access, but that requires a C/F boarding pass...
Old May 3, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: None anymore
How is the crowding in the old GFL now that it's available to a lot more people?
Old May 4, 2018, 1:01 pm

Yes. It is United Club now but I am not sure if UA will want to renovate it.

Originally Posted by warrenw
How is the crowding in the old GFL now that it's available to a lot more people?
I visited Thursday noon time. Not many people, a lot of space. I over heard waitress talking to each other about the reduced traffic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 4, 2018 at 8:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 4, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Yes. It is United Club now but I am not sure if UA will want to renovate it.
It is the same space with no renovation????
Old May 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by schley
It is the same space with no renovation????
How could they renovate it when it operated as an International Departure lounge through last Sunday?
Also, what renovation exactly does it need? It's in pretty decent shape, overall.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
How could they renovate it when it operated as an International Departure lounge through last Sunday?
Also, what renovation exactly does it need? It's in pretty decent shape, overall.

I didn't know it was open the entire time. At the very least furniture trade out is always needed for lounges in general and more power.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by schley
I didn't know it was open the entire time. At the very least furniture trade out is always needed for lounges in general and more power.
have you been in it before? It isn’t like a regular UC. There’s plenty of power and the furniture is different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.